Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Barbados Experts: Please help with accomodation choice (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/barbados-experts-please-help-with-accomodation-choice-598230/)

amrach Mar 11th, 2006 06:25 AM

Barbados Experts: Please help with accomodation choice

I am trying to pick a hotel for our vacation to Barbados in May and I am in need of a little assistance. My husband and I and possibly another couple will be going in May. We like to have fun (not stuffy) and want to stay somewhere with a good mix of fun and relaxation. Here are my general impressions of the hotels that I have looked into:
Fairmont--Sounds wonderful, but not sure if the price is worth it. Also, what is the pool like?

Hilton--I am a Gold member so we could get some free nights. Hotel looks nice and new, but how is the beach?

Crystal Cove--Also looks nice, but how's the beach?

Turtle Beach--Looks like a great beach, but not sure if it's too family oriented. Also, the rooms look like they may be a little dated.

I also looked into Bougainvillea and Colony Club but I wasn't sure about the rooms at the Bougainvillea and I didn't like the looks of the colony club beach.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences with me!

xkenx Mar 11th, 2006 10:35 AM

Hilton is at edge of industrial/commercial area.ot scenic.
Crystal Cove has lots of rooms jammed into small grounds and beach. Colony Club actually has a nice beach and the best pools of the bunch. Their pools are a series of pools. Some of the rooms actually spill into a pool.
The class act is Coral Reef Club, next door to Colony Club. Family-owned for some 50 years, and it shows. Plantation style low-rise bldgs. and cottages on gorgeous grounds

amrach Mar 12th, 2006 07:37 AM

Thanks for your reply. We looked into Coral Reef Club, but decided against it. I know this sounds silly, but we do like to have a TV in our room and in their rooms, this was not an option.

krissykris Mar 12th, 2006 09:59 AM

We are staying at Bougainvillea beach resort end of April. We have been told it is very nice and appears to be very affordable.

greenie Mar 12th, 2006 02:49 PM

We always stayed in the gap area. It's cheaper, wavier, and you can walk about at night.

We loved the Southern Palms Beach Club, but it might not be swanky enough. The beach, dover, is extremely lovely! and the place is very well run. You can walk up the street to all the gap restaurants.

Peace, Greenie

sdiver Mar 13th, 2006 11:59 AM

We are heading(4 adults)to Barbados in April. We decided not to go the hotel route and rented a villa through caribbeanway.com. The villa comes with its own pool, cook, maid and driver(all included in the daily rate). It is beachfront and we are right between Speightown and Holetown. There are many different types of rentals depending upon your needs and location. You can find a really nice villa/house for a comparitable price as the hotels on the island. Being off-season the rates are even better. Hope this helps.

amrach Mar 14th, 2006 05:38 AM

Sdiver-
Thanks for your information on the villas. They look very nice! This is our first time traveling with this couple so I think we prefer to do a hotel for this trip. We'll definitely have to check out the villas for another trip though!