Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Barbados (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/barbados-123989/)

Cheryl May 14th, 2001 05:40 PM

Barbados

I am planning a Sept. honeymoon on Barbados. Can anyone tell me anything about Bouganvillea Beach Resort? I have come across a good deal for this resort--is it right for a honeymoon? Also, if anyone can give suggestions of activities while there [besides the obvious on honeymoon :)]. What about West coast vs. South coast? <BR>Thanks in advance for your help! <BR>

gweny May 15th, 2001 12:35 PM

Hi Cheryl I just returned from barbados this past Saturday. It was heaven! My boyfriend and I stayed at Tamarind Cove on the West Coast. The Beach was beautiful and calm and the hotel was so lush with such attractive grounds. The water at the beach was crystal clear. I didn't venture down towards the south though, there is alot to do on the island. You definately will not get bored (not that I think you will being that you're honeymooning!). Just a warning - it's very pricey ( the food) especially if you stay (eat) in the hotels. But then again I don't now about the southwest coast. I'm only going by the paynes bay area on the west coast. Do a meal plan if you can.Have a great trip

Noodle May 15th, 2001 03:38 PM

<BR>The south coast is busier & more commercialized, but the water is very pretty & the sand is cleaner than the west. <BR> <BR>We stayed at Holetown but I think I'd be equally as happy in the South. Better location for music & dancing if that's important to you. We liked west coast restaurants better. <BR> <BR>

Debs May 15th, 2001 06:51 PM

Cheryl-Stayed at Bougainvillea last year for a week-it was beautiful! The units are actually time-share condos (we don't own a time share, nor will you be approached by anyone about listening to 'the pitch' about buying one). The unit was quite spacious, with a king size bedroom in the back of the unit, which also contained a sleeper-sofa, dining table and kitchen (all appliances except a dishwasher). You'll be very near the St Lawrence Gap area, which has lots of shopping and places to eat, ranging from very casual to quite expensive. We enjoyed our anniversary dinner at Pisces, which I would highly recommend. There are quite a few convenience type stores in and around the 'Gap' area and also near Bougainvillea where you can purchase food goodies to stock your room. The beach is very nice, and the property has 2 pools, one with a swim up bar. An older, sister property adjoins Bougainvillea called Sand Acres, and staying at either property allows guests to use facilities of the other. I would highly recommend the Waters Edge restaurant at Sand Acres (open for breakfast thru dinner). We ate their numerous times and found the food to be quite good-and it's literally right on the beach. Would give Bougainvillea a thumbs up for your honeymoon. Personally, we found the South Coast offered more to do (especially in the evening for dining options) than the West Coast. Congrats on your upcoming wedding - you'll enjoy Barbados-it's a beautiful island, but as a previous poster said, it's pricey. Happy Travels !

Cheryl May 16th, 2001 03:10 PM

I have heard that the South coast can have rough surf. What is your opinion? Are we talking large waves? or small ones?

June May 17th, 2001 06:03 AM

Cheryl, <BR>Waves on the south are small, but the water is rough. Larger waves as you get to Silver Sands & on around to the Crane. A good beach that is both beautiful & swimmable is Sandy beach. I'd suggest renting a car & trying them ALL. No reason to limit yourself to one beach or one area of the island. All beaches are public, I believe. If you don't get out & explore you'll always regret it. We met people who have been going to Barbados for many years, planting themselves in one place. They don't even recognize most of our beautiful photos as being taken on Barbados. That's very sad to me. <BR> <BR>