Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Bahamas Out Islands spring getaway with the family and an almost 3 year old (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/bahamas-out-islands-spring-getaway-with-the-family-and-an-almost-3-year-old-669092/)

cantstayhome Jan 10th, 2007 01:45 PM

Bahamas Out Islands spring getaway with the family and an almost 3 year old

Was very tempted just to be lazy and go to Bermuda again, which we have visited in the past, but love. Hubby wants to try something different (sigh). Will be traveling with my mom (it's annual trip time again). Will likely have at least one, maybe two, of my adult sisters joining us. Will also have my nearly 3 year old son along. Considering a few options. Any thoughts, comments, insights, or other recommendations much appreciated!

Want good beach access, a pool, and would prefer, but do not require, a villa, but on a resort, not a separate house rental. Do not want to have to cook and do not want to have to go far for food every meal. Good food is important. A kids' pool would be nice. Definitely want there to be other kids around - my little guy goes nuts now if we take him somewhere where there are not many around. Big Atlantis-type resorts, however, are definitely not our cup of tea, which is why we are looking at the Out Islands. Flexible on time, but most likely to go either March or April.

Looking at The Cove on Eleuthera, Abaco Beach Resort, Treasure Cay Hotel Resort and Marina (Abacos), Bahama Beach Club (Abacos), and Emerald Palms on Andros Island. Yes, I realize there is a big difference between some of these, but if anyone has specific thoughts on any of them, I would still like to know.

If anyone feels I am completely off the mark and should be looking at different islands, please speak up, too!

Thanks!

Callaloo Jan 11th, 2007 04:03 AM

I think you are looking in the right direction if you are looking at Abaco. While I'm not familiar with the Treasure Cay resorts you've noted, they may very well suit -- the beach there is a stunner, and you'd get small resort amenities in Treasure Cay.

I would advise you away from the Abaco Beach Resort. The beach there is not one of the better ones in the Abacos; in fact, Marsh Harbour is generally not considered a beach destination at all. It's more a boater/fisherman destination, or a waypoint for those heading elsewhere (I am overstating that a little, and you can certainly get to some great beaches by car or ferry, but for a beachier experience, try Treasure Cay or the other cays.)

For the other cays, look at Elbow first. It's right in the "Hub of Abaco" and offers a lot of amenities without a lot of fuss. From personal experience, I would suggest you look at Sea Spray Resort and Abaco Inn, as well as Hopetown Harbour Lodge. All are small hotels/inns with pools, beach locations, and restaurants on site and/or nearby. The accomodations range from rooms to cottages with kitchens. If you stay at HHL, you'll be right at the edge of the Hopetown settlement, and there are usually local kids about, if not visitors. I would also suggest looking at Dolphin Beach Resort on Great Guana Cay, and the Green Turtle Club and Bluff House on Green Turtle Cay.

My experience with Eleuthera -- and I loved it -- was that it was much more isolated and that we didn't see many kids. Without having visited there, I get the same impression of Andros. While it's on my short list to visit, I don't have a 3 year old to entertain.

If you're interested in more about the Abacos, visit http://abacomessageboard.com/ and http://abacoforum.com.

cantstayhome Jan 11th, 2007 06:28 AM

Thanks, Callaloo!

mnag Jan 11th, 2007 07:33 AM

cantstayhome, you may want to research Turks and Caicos also. Many kid friendly condo style hotels on a beautiful beach. Try the Sands or Ocean Club hotels. There always seems to be some kids around the pool area at these hotels. The sands has a kiddie pool, and a kid-friendly restaurant on site. It also is located close to other restaurants etc. Based on your comment regarding the need for other kids around I'm not so sure (and only you would know) if the out islands are perfect for you. You also mention that you love Bermida. I've stayed at the Hopetown harbour lodge at Elbow cay and it would be a convinient location in the center of town but I did not see kids on the property while we were there. It was quiet with almost no one at the pool area when we were there. Agree with Callaloo that Eluethera would definately be too quiet for you. Not familiar with Treasure Cay except for their well know beautiful beach. HI may have some kids at the Coral Sands resort but not sure. The four seasons on Exuma has a kids club and may be perfect except for the cost factor. You may also want to consider the Westin/Sheraton on Grand Bahama (obvioulsly not as quiet as its not the out islands).

suanniammsncom Jan 11th, 2007 07:35 AM

Hi,
We just returned from guana cay and the dolphin beach resort. We were thinking of bringing my mom and glad we didnt, because it was very basic and quite a climb to get to the beach if she has any limitations this may be something to consider. I also read the bluff house is quite a steep climb to the beach. Also guana is very quiet and i didnt see many kids around even at christmas. I really loved the out islands, but its definetly not for everyone. You might want to try grand cayman which has more to do for kids and adults.
Susan

century21 Jan 12th, 2007 05:48 AM

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but can someone steer me to a website that details who flies to the outer islands and where the connections are? Our plans are too up in the air (Abaco, Eleuthra, etc) now to ask for specific flight info from New York City, so I was just hoping for a site that would show something like

NY-Abaco Bahamas Air Connect in FTL

Thanks!

joan Jan 12th, 2007 06:13 AM

century21, the best way I've found is to go on orbitz or travelocity, and plug in the various airport codes, using FLL or MIA as your departure. Don't use your original airport because you may be limited if one airline does not fly the whole route. Also, try ITA software, they don't do booking, but you can see all the available flights (except those on airlines like Jet Blue and Southwest, which aren't on any big-boy websites, just their own). By the way FLL is much preferred because it's smaller and easier to get through customs.

Cantstayhome, you're getting great advice, the only thing I would add is: March/April? Brrrr in the Bahamas. Go for as late in April as you can, for that lovely warm water/lounging about in the sand weather.

ElaineF Jan 12th, 2007 02:17 PM

century21,
You can go to kayak.com and plug in your airport requirements.

Robert59 Jan 13th, 2007 10:10 AM

Century 21; I posted on another post to a woman who wanted to fly to the Bahamas non-stop from NYC. I offered the idea to call a half dozen airlines and ask if they knew any flights of other airlines that fly from NYC to the Bahamas. Here's a list of airlines I gathered over the years by doing this, and I fly with them to conduct reef fish surveys in the out islands. They don't fly nonstop from NYC, but do from Florida. I would recommend starting with either American Airline's "American Eagle" or Continental's "Gulf Stream". They're two U.S. airlines and are regularly checked for safety in Atlanta by the FAA. There is also Bahamian airlines, like the Cherokee Air Charter Service which flies to all points in the Bahamas and Florida (242-367-3450). I've heard of an outfit called Vintage Props & Jets, Inc. which has daily service to Marsh Harbor, Treasure Cay, Freeport, Daytona Beach, Melbourne, Orland int'l and Jacksonville (800-852-0275). There's also Yellow Air Taxi, which flies from Ft. Lauderdale to Marsh Harbor, Treasure Cay, North Eleuthera, Governor's Harbor, Chub Cay, Stella Maris, Nassau, Freeport, Staniel Cay, Spanish Cay, Bimini, and Andros Islands. Call them at 888-yellow-4. Hope this helps. Have fun! Robert59

cantstayhome Jan 23rd, 2007 09:35 AM

sorry to pick this up again after so long, but thanks, all, for the advice so far. Looks like we're going mid-April.

century21, I found some good info on what airlines fly to which islands on www.bahamas.com.

Think we're leaning towards doing a few days in Nassau (or around there anyway) just for kicks and to let the little fellow find some friends before heading somewhere quieter. Leaning towards either Emerald Palms - Andros, or somewhere in the Abacos - too many to decide! Lots of work to do!

I think T&C sounds great, too, and thanks for the suggestion, but hubby has in his head that he wants to go to the Bahamas! Sands and Ocean Club both look appealing and I have a feeling we'll end up there one of these days.

Oh, and temperature in the Bahamas in March/April should be just fine - we live in Boston and I don't even take out my coat until it's below freezing!