Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Bahamas (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/bahamas-1648926/)

susieQ122 Feb 21st, 2018 05:27 AM

Bahamas

I would like to plan a 4/5 day trip to the Bahamas at the end of March/beginning of April (not during Easter). Looking for suggestions on where to stay. Not looking for a large place, just something really nice, laid back, and on the beach. Also, would that time of year be good for beaching and is the water warm enough? Thanks for any help!

RoamsAround Feb 21st, 2018 06:00 AM

The "Bahamas" is a chain with some 800 islands and cays. Where in the Bahamas were you planning to go? There are the major islands of Grand Bahamas and Nassau and numerous Out Islands which are less crowded and many that are quite secluded. What type of budget do you have?

Daytime temperatures in March/April will be in the mid-to-high 70's - water temps will be about the same. You'll have to decide if that's warm enough for you.

bankbabe Feb 21st, 2018 10:15 AM

What is your budget? Ocean Club in Nassau is very nice.

ishkribbl Feb 21st, 2018 07:12 PM

What do you consider "warm" for water? My southern bones think that the water in March and April are too cold for me while others might find it tolerable. The last time I went to the Bahamas in April (never even considered March), I swore never to do it again- cold front sweeping down from the US, windy, waters rough and cold but air temps were nice. This year, however, is unseasonably warm- 79 in coastal Alabama today- so it might actually be ok to nice when you are considering.

When you say what you want in terms of accommodations, are you looking for a rental home/villa/cottage/condo or do you want a hotel or resort? any more details on what you are looking for?

Callaloo Feb 22nd, 2018 02:56 AM

Also, where are you traveling from? Since you are planning a relatively short visit, you don't want to waste all of your time en route.

susieQ122 Feb 22nd, 2018 04:04 AM

I really have no idea where I plan to go. I want to make it an easy couple of days away. I wouldn't want anything like a Beaches type resort. Just something geared to beach, relaxation and good food, probably condo or hotel/resort, but a smaller one. Not looking to spend $800 a night, but not looking for budget accommodations at all. The temps do sound a bit cooler than what I would like. I went to Turks last year in April, and the weather was just perfect, but water temp was a bit cooler than I would've liked.

susieQ122 Feb 22nd, 2018 04:06 AM

I am travelling from Newark Airport in NJ, so i would also prefer a destination where I could take a direct flight. As you said, i don't want to spend too much time travelling for a 4 day trip.

susieQ122 Feb 22nd, 2018 04:20 AM

I don't really have a budget, per se. Will spend what I need to spend to have a nice place to stay. I realize the islands are always costly. Assuming good weather, so little time is spent in the room and we always prefer to have a balcony. I will check out Ocean Club. Do you know if they are affiliated with OC in Turks and Caicos?

RoamsAround Feb 22nd, 2018 05:22 AM

Ocean Club in the Bahamas is not affiliated with Ocean Club in the T&C’s. The one in the Bahamas is much more upscale.

you really need to give some type of budget range otherwise there’s a tendency for responders to make recommendations that will be on the upper ends of the price scale. Really, there’s no sense recommending say a $1,500/night resort if you are thinking of onlybspending $300/night.

blamona Feb 22nd, 2018 02:56 PM

End of March beginning ofApril is Easter, 3 weeks of Spring Breaks, and most expensive time of year

chances are many places are sold out already

one OC has nothing to do with other, in T&C it’s a more budget hotel, in Bahamas its high luxury

i love over the Out Islands But 4 nights gives you no time for any of them.

Why not not go back to T&C? Direct flight, a little further south, great for a short trip. (If not sold out)

orangetravelcat1 Feb 23rd, 2018 08:59 AM

Have you thought about Grenada? JetBlue has nonstop flights from NY. We've been to Spice Island Resort and La Luna, and liked both alot. La Luna is a smaller resort than Spice Island, but both provided fantastic service and were very laid back places, good for relaxing. Both are pricey but worth checking into. Grenada is a great island, encountered some of the friendliest locals of any island we've been to in the Caribbean.

ishkribbl Feb 23rd, 2018 10:19 AM

Thanks orangetravelcat! Grenada has been on my bucket list for years and I hope to get there in 2019! We went to Bequia in the Grenadines in November and loved it but the travel time would be too much for the OP's 4-5 day trip. Did you write trip reports on Grenada here or on TA that I can read? I would love to do so!

ishkribbl Feb 23rd, 2018 05:17 PM

SusieQ- have you considered Cozumel (flying directly into the airport on the island), Isla Mujeres (through Cancun then short ferry ride) or Akumal or Tulum (Cancun then pre-arranged car service)? IF (very important IF) you avoid the actual Easter Week- heavily traveled then by locals- then the weather and water should be good then. I have loved visiting there and there are some very nice places to be found with great beaches, nice accommodations, good food, etc.

Bahamas- have you looked into flights into Georgetown, Exuma (you would have to change planes once in Miami or Atlanta) and a stay at the Sandals or Grand Isle?

susieQ122 Feb 24th, 2018 02:47 AM

I have not, but will look into it. I will avoid Easter week no matter where i go!

susieQ122 Feb 24th, 2018 02:48 AM

i have not, but will look into it. JFK is a royal pain for me to get to, especially since i live within a short ride of Newark, so will check flights out of that airport. Thank you for the suggestion!

susieQ122 Feb 24th, 2018 02:52 AM

I didn't realize OC in TC was considered budget, but am certainly not surprised since some of the prices are 'up there'. I found it to be quite good as far as cleanliness, location to town and being on Grace Bay. Last year we went at the end of April, and although the weather couldn't have been better, the water temps were a bit cooler than we would've liked. (I have a somewhat big-for me- trips planned for mid-June which is one reason I am wanting to keep this one 'little'. Thanks for all suggestions!

susieQ122 Feb 24th, 2018 02:53 AM

Blamona, if I'm not mistaken, I've seen your posts on CR, which incidentally, is another place I was thinking of going. Of course, that would not be for 4 days.

orangetravelcat1 Feb 25th, 2018 10:17 AM

ishkribbl, link to my trip report on Grenada. https://www.fodors.com/community/car...renada-890771/

ishkribbl Mar 1st, 2018 05:52 AM

Thabks

Originally Posted by orangetravelcat1 (Post 16682815)
ishkribbl, link to my trip report on Grenada. https://www.fodors.com/community/car...renada-890771/

Thank you for the link!

bankbabe Mar 21st, 2018 11:41 AM

You may also want to consider the Cove in Eleurthea (sp?). I am thinking of going there and would love it if someone went ahead of me and wrote a trip report. :)