Trying to Figure Out Whether to Stay at Airport or in Old San Juan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2014, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We arrive at SJU on a Tuesday at 3:30 pm. We will be leaving for Tortola the following morning at 9:50. Initially, I booked a room at the SJU Airport Hotel, because our flight was not supposed to arrive until 10:40 pm. However, because our arrival time has changed, I am wondering whether to stay in Old San Juan or keep the room at the airport and just go into OSJ for dinner.

How early do we need to be at the airport Wednesday morning? How long will it take us to get from OSJ to SJU on a weekday morning? Is the traffic horrible?

We will be staying in Old San Juan at the end of our trip, so we will have plenty of time to explore then.
Old Apr 5th, 2014, 09:13 AM

Check your (Tortola) airline's website they should have an information page that gives you guidelines on how much ahead of time you'll need to arrive at the airport. Generally speaking most airlines tell you to arrive 2 hours before scheduled departure.

Now for some practical advice - Assuming you have luggage to check and don't have your boarding passes allow at least 90 minutes. When flying out of SJU you first have to have your bags inspected by the Department of Agriculture, then check-in/get your boarding pass then clear the TSA Security Checkpoint (that line his often backed up) then walk to your departure gate.

Allow a least 30 minutes to get from OSJ to the airport if you are traveling during rush hour (otherwise it's about a 15 minute drive).
Old Apr 5th, 2014, 09:24 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Since you'll have your stay in OSJ later in your trip, even though the airport is relatively close, I'd just keep the airport hotel and go into OSJ for the evening. As far as I'm concerned, we can't be too close to airports for morning flights.
Old Apr 5th, 2014, 10:37 AM

Well said MmePerdu..DigbyDog, You can cab into OSJ easily and it will still be light enough to see and wonder at the blue cobble stoned calles..Cava @ El Convento, gazpacio there also! lots of choices everywhere.. Your overnight and return time will be well spent and enjoyed..
Old Apr 5th, 2014, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much to everyone for the good advice. Does the following change you thoughts? The Airport Hotel gets rather poor reviews and the Casa Blanca Hotel where we would stay in Old San Juan gets pretty good reviews and is $50 less (the cost of cab fare).

We are staying at the El Covento on our return, so I will try the gazpacho then.
Old Apr 5th, 2014, 11:38 AM

Lucky you. I lived in PR and have always wanted to stay at El Convento. As to which place for 1 night, you can decide, go with your gut. It hardly matters in the scheme of things.
Old Apr 5th, 2014, 03:59 PM

We have tried 2 times to get a room in El Convento..booked!!booked!! So-o-o Sheraton OSJ and we were upgraded to a sweet suite..And an outstanding VRBO 1/2 block from SanChristobal Fort..The $ saved from the booked super place was well spent on I'm sure you can guess!!
Old Apr 5th, 2014, 04:27 PM

Hookers?
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Ha! Well, I'm glad we're staying at the El Convento then. No extra cash for my husband to get a hooker.
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 02:55 PM

In San Juan..Heavens forbid and such a nice island!!
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 05:06 PM

Don't know you or your travel style but if you are like us and need to "decompress" from work along the way to transition to "island time" then I will throw this in. We priced the airport hotel for similar circumstances several years back (have looked again recently for a return trip) but ended up booking a room at Tres Palmas Inn which is between the airport and Old Town for a very simple and less expensive place where we could take a deep breath, sit in the rooftop hot tub with a drink and a view and still get back to the airport in 10 minutes- you could get to Old Town in about the same (and pay for dinner probably). Just a thought but a few years out of date.
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

ishkribbi--I like that idea, and Tres Palmas seems to get good reviews. Thanks for the tip!
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

ishkribbi--I just booked Tres Palmas and really appreciate the recommendation. It is less expensive than the Airport Hotel, has a better bed situation for our 3 travelers, includes breakfast, and it gets much better reviews than the Airport Hotel. Thanks!!!
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 06:03 PM

Oh, I am so glad. I hope it is ok for you. Frankly, I was pretty amazed at the price of the airport hotel (after people on the Culebra forum recommended it for our overnights)so I started researching. We stayed at Tres Palmas twice- going to and then back from Culebra. Breakfast was very simple (think US Hampton Inn or something like that) but it worked. We really did enjoy the dusk/sunset time of day on the deck and were lucky to be the only ones there enjoying the hot tub and view- pick up a bottle of wine or whatever since there is no bar at the inn.
The trip to Old Town (we spent most of the day there the next day exploring before flying out on Flamenco to Culebra) was 10 minutes or less by cab- the trip to and from the airport was also very easy and short.
Hope it works out for you- as I said, it has been a few years but I have looked at their website in consideration of another trip since then and the reviews and price are still good.
Have a wonderful time. We will be on Tortola 4/26-5/3- you?
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

We just want something clean and close to the airport for the night, so I am sure it will be fine. We are staying in some more expensive hotels later in the trip, so I am thrilled to save a little the first night.

We fly to Tortola June 18, but then head right away to Virgin Gorda. Hope you have a wonderful time on Tortola. Again, thanks for taking the time to make the recommendation.