Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Back from St. John, Best trip ever... (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/back-from-st-john-best-trip-ever-75438/)

Dustin Jun 9th, 2000 05:39 AM

Back from St. John, Best trip ever...

I used this forum, among other resources, to help me decide where to take my honeymoon. Thought I would give a quick report on St. John. Can say nothing but good things about the island and the people. We stayed at Gallows Point Resort, and after going to several other islands, and looking at lots of condos while on our trip, we never regreted the island or the condo. It was perfect. So anyone who likes great food, safe and beautiful island atmosphere, and awesome snorkeling and diving right off the beach. St. Johns where to go. Only thing I will do different is to maybe take a cab to a grocery store on St. Thomas when you get off the plane. Stock up on what you want, and save some cash and time. PLan on going back next year, same place same island, enough said. <BR>SDT <BR>Atlanta, GA

Tonya Jun 9th, 2000 08:35 AM

Dustin, <BR>I am going to St.John in late July and also staying at Gallows Point for a week. Did you rent a Jeep?

Sherri Jun 11th, 2000 06:33 PM

After a couple of trips to St John we have found that you can easily take the <BR>open air taxis to all the beaches and <BR>other places on the island for approx <BR>3.00. There is also public transit bus <BR>that goes to different points on the island. If it is your first trip, you <BR>may want to rent a jeep, just to "explore" a bit more. We used Courtesy <BR>Car Rental last time we were there in <BR>March and were very pleased with their <BR>service. There are many places to rent <BR>from. <BR>Sherri

ya mon Jun 12th, 2000 06:00 AM

We stayed on SJ six months ago and opted to rent a Jeep for the week. I'd highly recommend it. We stayed at Coconut Coast Villas (close to Gallows) and, although you could walk to town and get a taxi, it was <BR>nice to be able to just get in the Jeep and go. Some of the better snorkeling and hiking spots are more difficult to get to without one. Definitely get one for a couple days to explore the other side of the island -- just watch out for the goats. <BR> <BR>On another note, check out the barbecue stand in the center of town. I know barbecue is not what people go to the tropics for, but it's only $8 and enough ribs and chicken for two. After a few days of island prices it is extremely cheap! Any questions email me.

Bonnie Jun 12th, 2000 06:08 PM

Hi, i have though about our next trip being to St. John and staying at Coconut Coast Villas. How was the airfare? Did it take you all day to get there? What did you think of the villas? Thanks for any information. Bonnie

ps Jun 13th, 2000 09:13 AM

We stayed at Gallows and loved it! It is a 2 minute walk into town (Cruz Bay) yet secluded with great vistas. One more suggestion - if you are staying any length of time, pack a cooler and take it as luggage. We pack frozen steaks, burgers, chicken, etc., and cook it on the outdoor grill. We found that food is very expensive at the island groceries - you can save $$$ by bringing it with you. Yes - it does stay frozen provided you pack it solid.

CJ Jun 13th, 2000 01:50 PM

Hi "PS": <BR>About packing frozen foods: how far did you travel from -- or should I say how many hours before departure and arrival? We are flying to STJ from Albany, NY and, too, are planning to take along a cooler. We were thinking of freezing shrimp, chicken breasts and maybe some meatballs. (I don't want to take too much or I'll ending up cooking every night and never going out to dinner!!!) Can you think of anything else that would be good to freeze and tote along? Did you also takecoffee, cereal, etc.? I'd much rather spend my $$ on Pina Coladas and other delightful island things than bread and other mndanne foods. Heading out June 28th to July 5th. Will post a reoprt when we're back. (Feel free to e-mail me directly if you like!) <BR>

ya mon Jun 13th, 2000 05:51 PM

Bonnie, Coconut Coast Villas are very nice and clean. The villa we stayed in was a one room upper floor with a cathedral ceiling, tile floors, a fully stocked kitchen, and best of all a great view. The villa is on a rocky coast with a wonderful view off the balcony. You can walk to town, but the road is very very steep so we usually took the Jeep. Did it take all day to get there? We were deicing in Atlanta at lunch and were eating in Cruz Bay for dinner. <BR> <BR>We didn't cook dinner while on vacation, but picked up groceries for breakfast and lunch at the market. Yes they are expensive. Deli meat wasn't anymore, but the cereal was $6, the milk $7 and the ice cream $12. Next time we plan to pack cereal and snacks, but I'm not sure about traveling with milk and ice cream. <BR>

marianna Jun 14th, 2000 03:51 AM

Going to St. John for the second time, 6/23 - 7/4. I definitely want to pack some food to bring with me but need advice. Should we stop at the store in St. Thomas or bring it with us from home (flying from DC). Not really concerned about the frozen stuff, but everything else inbetween. <BR> <BR>Also, any recommendations on day sails? I'm leaning toward BVI - Baths, but not certain. Thanks.

jim Jun 16th, 2000 09:24 AM

Regarding packing food: <BR> <BR>One alternative that we did once was to mail food (not frozen, of course). We mailed food from Austin on Friday morning, at it arrived on Monday afternoon, regular US mail. Cost of shipping was about $25, which, in retrospect, was about how much more the food would have cost us there. <BR> <BR>Getting there for us is an all day event -- leaving the house at about 7AM, arrive in St. John about 9PM or 10PM island time (2 hour time difference, so about 12-13 hours door to door. The stuff we had frozen was still frozen.... remember in the cargo hull of the plane, it is cold. <BR> <BR>I wouldn't bother with stopping at the store in St. Thomas -- they have almost everything you will need in St. John (even tortillas for us Texans). I'd buy cereal and coffee there. I would focus on things you can't get there -- very good steaks, for example. <BR> <BR>Regarding the jeep, I'd get one. That allows you go go at your pace whereever you want to go on the island. Taxi's and busses will take you to the popular places on the island, and some remote places, but I would not want to be sitting for 30-60 minutes at the bus stop at the top of Salt Pond bay during my vacation. Cost of a jeep is $300-$450/week, depending on what you get. Well worth it in my opinion. <BR> <BR>Jim <BR> <BR>

Dave D. Jun 22nd, 2000 01:40 PM

REGARDING TAKING FOOD TO ST. JOHN!!! <BR>We returned to St. John for the fourth time this May. We've always stayed in a villa and mainly cook our own meals. This last time we bought a small soft sided Coleman cooler at Walmart (Hip Hug 9 #7509A755 $7.96) It has a strap for a carrying and is small enough for take on luggage. In it we packed 5 lb of frozen shrimp, 1 1/2 lb frozen scallops, frozen crab cakes, and filled up the remaining space with baggies containing frozen spaghetti sauce. We left DC about noon on Saturday and when we got to our villa noon Sunday, everything was still frozen! n our check baggage we packed powdered milk (for cereal), oatmeal, coffee, tea, rice, spaghetti and bread. <BR>We will do this again when we return in November. <BR> <BR>REGARDING CAR RENTAL: We've rented a jeep in the past. This time we used the Maho Bay Shuttle to get to Cruz Bay. It runs every 2 hours from 8 am to 8 pm and costs $4.00 pp. <BR> <BR>FOR MORE INFO: See our article in http://www.caribtravelnews.com <BR>St. John, USVI - May 2000 <BR> <BR>or in the archives of http://www.usvi-on-line.com/usviforum.html