Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Babymoon in the Caribbean - Suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all!

I need suggestions on where to go in the caribbean for 3-4 nights in February/March. We are a couple in our late 20's and I will be 5-6 months pregnant at the time. We are looking for a getaway before the little one comes.

Normally we are very active travellers, and like to sightsee, and explore. This vacation we would like some downtime too, due to aforementioned condition (being in the family way). We like good food and upscale accomodations.

We want beach (obviously), activities ( I love low-key kayaking, snorkelling, and think these are safe activities while pregnant), and possibility of a daytrip. We are looking for an upscale hotel with good options for dining.

So far I have found availability in a premium villa at the Rockhouse in Jamaica. It looks gorgeous, but Im worried that Negril might not be for us. We don't want anything too "spring-break"

Suggestions?
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 02:22 PM

Hi! I'm newly pregnant, and we booked a babymoon to Grand Cayman in April when I will be 5 months along. It seemed to fit my criteria which were a beautiful beach and water, good snorkeling, great restaurants, and relatively safe in case of some medical emergency.

This will be our first time to Grand Cayman, but we have also been to Aruba, Anguilla, Provo, and Bermuda, and I think you'd enjoy any one of them. Also, if you are close enough to Hawaii, think about that, too. It's the US, and it's amazing, we've been 4 times!
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 02:47 PM

i agree the caymans would be a good choice. 7 mile beach is the big deal on this island, but is also the very busy part. you might enjoy www.thereef.com - quieter on the north side.

you could also look at isla mujeres off the coast near cancun and cozumel. very small, laid back island. all about the snorkeling. you can easily day trip to coz or cancun for some excitement if you choose.
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 02:44 PM

I think Rockhouse would be a great choice. The caves would be the ultimate if you can swing it. The cliffs in Negril are not "spring break" like at all (well Rick's can be)but you should be safe at Rockhouse, Tensing Pen or the Caves. It is really beautiful and you would have snorkeling and great relaxation. Go for it.
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies!
Beachbum - thanks for the answer on Rockhouse & Negril.
We are also looking at Tensing Pen.

Have you stayed at either? What are the pro's and cons of the two? Ive done a search here, but there aren't a huge amount of posts.