Search

Babymoon--Food Safety

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Babymoon--Food Safety

Yet another babymoon (not a fan of that word) question--but with more of a health/safety twist! We'd like to take a babymoon in January or February to the Carribean and an important issue for me is food and water safety, since I absolutely cannot get food poisoining (or eat certain foods). Given that, which islands would you recommend? I've been looking at Turks & Caicos and Jamaica, but we got married in St. Lucia and have thought about returning there as well. We love a beautiful beach, a nice view, snorkelling, and good, safe food!

Thank you for any ideas you're willing to share!
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 10:51 AM

First off, drinking water is not an issue on most islands however, you can easily avoid any potential problems by drinking only bottled water while you are away. True, there's a slight added cost to your budget but it's a small price to pay to be on the safe side while you are in a "delicate condition".

As far as as food preparation is concerned, here again, if you stick to the major islands and dine at the more popular establishments the odds are very, very small you'll get food poisoning. Of course, no one can guarantee you'll never encounter spoiled food (it can happen in the best places anywhere in the world) but if you use the same common sense you do dining out at home you should be just fine. Avoid road side stands, beach shacks and places where it's obvious there's no running water, a lack of refrigeration or that look unsanitary - why take the chance?

You mentioned the Turks & Caicos, well if by that you mean one of the resorts on Providenciales' Grace bay then you'll be OK both water wise and food wise. Other islands know for having great food are Anguilla, St. Barth's and St. Martin. Those islands too, have excellent local water (but I still recommend you drink bottled water).

I'm not real familiar with Jamaica other than to say it's a very big island so making general statements about the quality of water and/or food won't have much validity.
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 10:11 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Negril Jamaica fits what you describe.
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 02:04 PM

I would NEVER travel to Turks and Caicos for a babymoon. I went there for a wedding last year and got norovirus, along with the rest of the island. The water was contaminated! Even if you drink bottled water, they cook with the local water AND make ice with it. And this was at the Grace Bay!! If you want to keep your baby healthy, stay away!!!
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 04:14 PM

Oh "Jew" ..get your facts straight please! We just got back from the Island ( been going for years) drank tap water & fine!!
Old Jan 5th, 2014, 08:11 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Please note the date of this post. Their kid is 2 years old by now!