Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Baby in Aruba (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/baby-in-aruba-666509/)

Buffs1997 Dec 27th, 2006 05:19 PM

Baby in Aruba

I am traveling with my baby of 7 months on 1/2/07 to Aruba. She eats Beachnut Stage 2 food. Will that food and pampers be available from local grocery stores or will it be better to mail the baby's supplies before to our hotel direct. Any advice, suggestions or past experiences will be appreciated.

JerseyMom Dec 28th, 2006 04:12 AM

My relatives had luck with finding baby food & supplies on the island; since your departure date is approaching, pack some extra with you though. **Call the concierge at your hotel and ask them to locate the supplies you're looking for; that way, you will know where to go when you get there. If you do decide to send a package, ONLY SEND IT FEDEX - it has the quickest delivery time and the best movement thru customs, etc. (Otherwise you will never see that package while you're there.) Have fun!

sharkdiver49 Dec 28th, 2006 04:58 AM

Hi Buffs,

My wife and I took our then 6 month old daughter with us to Aruba last year and we took diapers, jars of food and even a pump. Running around searching for brands and food you are not sure your DD likes and paying a premium didn't make sense to us. By now you know how many diaper changes she averages in a day. Now add three or four extra diapers just incase. Better safe than sorry. We packed two large suit cases and had planty of room for all of our stuff including my scuba gear. I think sending supplies is a waste of money. Bring lots of sunscreen, small toys, DVD's, books and several outfit changes for her also just incase.

My wife, daughter and I will be returing to Aruba on Jan. 13th for a week. Maybe we'll see you there (Marriott Surf Club).

Cheers,

SD

shirleyk Dec 28th, 2006 07:43 AM

One of the large supermarkets in Aruba is Ling and Sons (www.lingandsons.com). They have a web site where you can see what they have and you can also place an order and have it delivered to your hotel room. There is also three other supermarkets in the same area as Ling. "Certified" is also a large supermarket that has just about everything you would need, but I don't know the web site address. We found the prices in all the Aruba supermarkets to about the same in the USA.

Swaying_Palms Dec 28th, 2006 07:23 PM

I wonder how the prices can be comparable to mainland U.S. when everything has to be flown or shipped-in!

ONZGO Dec 29th, 2006 11:19 AM

Be very, very careful with your baby with the sun in Aruba. Aruba is VERY close to the equator, so the sun is EXTREMELY strong in Aruba, so please speak with your doctor about what sunscreen to use on your baby. Make sure you take along a tie on hat for your baby as the constant Aruba winds will blow non secure hats away.

Make sure you take along strong sunscreen for yourselves and coat up often. We found Aruba sun stronger than any other sun we have found elsewhere in the Caribbean or Mexico, so be very careful, especially with the baby.