Notices

AVOID PICARD BEACH COTTAGE RESORT

Jan 14th, 2003, 08:39 AM
Eric

AVOID PICARD BEACH COTTAGE RESORT

Folks,

We just got back from Dominica, and had a great time at: Castaways, Papillote, and Fort Young hotels.

However, AVOID Picard Beach Cottage Resort, which is recommended by Fodor's. The only staff member who was any good was Jeff at the front desk. The rest of the lot were sullen, lazy, and unprofessional. The onsite restaurant, Le Flambeau, is horrid, and should be shuttered or burned to the ground. A terrible value overall, even though our beach front cottage was nice and Jeff provided good service. Everything else was a bad joke. Frankly, this resort deserves to go out of business.

If you're looking for a great beach front hotel, try Castaways!

Jan 14th, 2003, 10:45 AM
joan

Eric, just curious, but did you stay at four different hotels while on Dominica? Why? I mean, I can see one on the beach and one in the mountains, but why four? All that moving!

Also, how did you find the locals on Dominica? I've read alot of negative posts about them from cruise ship passengers, but I usually take day trippers for another breed of vacationer. What about a week or more trip - did they put a damper (other than Picard that is) on your trip?

Jan 17th, 2003, 01:59 PM
Eric

We stayed at 3 hotels on Dominica: Papillote and Castaways, both GREAT, and Picard Beach Cottage Resort, which was AWFUL. We had lunch at Fort Young, had a few drinks, did some shopping, etc., and it looked very nice, but we did not stay there. We had planned to stay at only two. Papillote and Castaways are your best bet. If you only want to stay at one, stay at Castaways, as its pretty convenient to most attractions. You'll need a car, though. The locals were all very friendly, polite, and helpful. We were there for 10 days, and never had a problem, although service is on Caribbean time, meaning SLOWWW. You just need to take the same precautions you would in any city when you're in Roseau or Portsmouth. Be warned, though, they ALL drive like lunatics.

Jan 17th, 2003, 04:18 PM
Barb

Hi Eric,

We had a similar experience with a place in Costa Rica that Fodor's highly recommended - fortunately we were only scheduled to be there three nights but left after two. There are some advantages to moving around - imagine having to stay at Picard Beach Cottage for a week! Anyway, I did send an email directly to the Fodor's editor for Costa Rica with our comments. It's nice to know they pay attention - the hotel is no longer on the site or in their book for 2003. Too bad we had to tell them but hopefully it will save other travellers from having a bad experience. Tally ho!

Search this Thread