Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   August in the Carribean? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/august-in-the-carribean-533379/)

tmr_nyc Jun 1st, 2005 11:19 AM

August in the Carribean?

I know hurricaine season is from June to November - but how likely is it in August? I feel like i only hear about it hitting the islands in September. We are considering a vacation in mid-August, but am not sure if I should look at the Carribean. And what islands are out of the belt? bermuda? st. lucia? Thanks.

Statia Jun 1st, 2005 12:49 PM

It is true that September is the busiest month for hurricanes, but we've had storms as early as July and as late as November. One can never really predict so my suggestion would be to plan your trip anyhow, or travel to the more southern islands (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao) if that makes you feel better.

Becca Jun 1st, 2005 01:28 PM

Five years ago during my honeymoon which began in mid to late August, my husband and I had to evacuate St. John due to a fast-moving hurricane barreling down on the island. We got the last plane out of St. Thomas back to the States. Thankfully, the hurricane caused only very minor damage, and we were able to return to St. John several days later. The moral of the story is that hurricanes in August are possible. Despite this, however, my husband and I have been on several Caribbean vacations since during August and September and have had no problems. If you want to go to the Caribbean and have a very good chance of avoiding a hurricane, try the ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire or Curacao), which are supposed to be outside of the hurricane belt. Good luck!

Randymashburn Jun 3rd, 2005 01:35 PM

Barbados is also out of the belt.

Traveler863 Jun 3rd, 2005 03:28 PM

Actually August and September are typically the height of hurricane season. However, one can never predict, its so sporadic.....really the likilhood our your selected island getting a major hit or majorily affected isn't too great. If you want something more safe pick something further south typically outside the 'belt' but not immune, they do get hits but far more infrequently, such as Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Barbados, Tobago.

TomCayman Jun 5th, 2005 08:17 AM

Rates are very reasonable indeed around the Caribbean in mid summer.... as Traveler863 put it, chances of getting hit on the one island you choose on the one week you are there are very small.

I would advise taking advantage of the summer deals.... and use some of the savings to take out trip insurance.

Do note though that increasingly you can get a Hurricane guarantee from resorts, although of course they do not normally cover the airfare (hence the trip insurance).

Being from Cayman, I am acutely aware of Hurricanes (as Ivan crushed us in Sep04), but we have recovered and are better prepared than ever... but even so, Ivan was the first major Hurricane to hit Grand Cayman since records began in 1851.... ie they are sporadic :)