Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Atlantis Suggestions for Family trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/atlantis-suggestions-for-family-trip-494556/)

Nancy03 Jan 11th, 2005 11:10 AM

Atlantis Suggestions for Family trip

We will be staying at Atlantis in mid-May to celebrate my parents 50th Anniversary and my Mom's 70th birthday.

There will be my parents (70's) and about 15 adults (mid-30s & 40s), one 18 year old girl and a 10 year old boy.

We will be there from a Thurs noon to Sunday noon.

My sister and I want to plan a nice dinner somewhere nice. Suggestions? Atlantis Restaurant? Sailing Cruise? Dinner/show? We don't want to just have a table pushed together sort of thing.

Is there some type of activity that you think might be fun for the whole group one of those days also?

I'm open for any suggestions and ideas..............

Thanks a bunch!!!!

wantsomesun Jan 11th, 2005 01:34 PM

I'd get intouch with the consierge at the Atlantis to see if they can help with specific suggestions on restaurants on site. There are also lots of good restaurants on PI and Nassau other than Atlantis and you can also ask the consierge to make reservations for you, since this is such a large group.

There are snorkle trips you can take off island with the whole group or you could take the fast ferry over to Harbour Island for a day to relax on the beach and try some of the great restaurants there as well.

Have a wonderful trip and let us know if you have any other questions.

jennymary Jan 12th, 2005 01:39 PM

The Atlantis is a great spot for a family vacation. There is so much to do and something for everyone! The beaches are beautiful... the pools are great... you will definitely have a lot of fun. What type of restaurant are you looking for for the special dinner? Since you'll be staying at the Atlantis, I'd suggest having dinner at the Ocean Club. It's a beautiful resort right near the Atlantis... and they provide free shuttle service to/from. You can actually make your dinner reservations through the Atlantis concierge. I'd make them early... as the good time slots for large groups book up fast. Given the large group, I'd even try calling now! You should make the dinner reservation before even arriving to the Bahamas. They have two very nice restaurants at the Ocean Club-- Dune and the Courtyard Terrace. There are also very nice restaurants right at the Atlantis!

You can get more information online at www.oneandonlyoceanclub.com

Jen

Dreamer2 Jan 12th, 2005 03:04 PM

We ate at the Courtyard restaurant at OC, and it was wonderful. Gorgeous setting, great service, very good food. However, it is extrememly expensive. ($500 for 4 of us.) Not sure you'd want that for a large group. ??? I agree with WantSomeSun to contact the concierge now to arrange something on-site. Why don't you see if they can arrange a prix fix menu with a couple choices for your group? Maybe at Fathoms or the Bahamian Club... When we were at Fathoms there was some sort of traditional performance/show. I don't know if it's every day, but it made the evening very festive. Also, check to see when you can make dinner reservations for May... Many restaurants were already booked when we checked in! There is a restaurant comparison guide at the Atlantis website. Perhaps there is an activity guide, too.
Best wishes to your parents! Have a great trip!

wantsomesun Jan 12th, 2005 06:21 PM

I forgot to mention 2 of my favorite restaurants that could handle a larger group. The Poop Deck, not far from the PI bridge and Johnny Canoe's on Cable Beach.

Johnny Canoe's is more casual/fun and some nights there is a Junakanoo, it's kind of a mardi gras/parade/spectacle/with LOUD MUSIC and NOISE, but it's alot of fun, and Johnny Canoe's you can sit inside or outside and enjoy the weather as well as the Junkanoo.

If you are looking for a nice place to send your parents for a very nice romantic dinner you might try Sun and...or Greycliffs. Greycliff is the only 5 star restaurant in the carribean and Sun and.....is one of the best restaurants on island.

Again, hope this helps and have a great time.

Mellyz Jan 13th, 2005 06:54 AM

Try the Friday night Seafood BBQ at the Ocean Club. Have heard it's incredible and I'm going to try it when we are there the first week of May. Also, check into a day charter with Powerboat Adventures. They would probably go something fabulous for you as well.(We are doing their regular day trip to the Exumas)

Dreamer2 Jan 22nd, 2005 05:20 AM

Topping for JeanneD.