Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Atlantis replacement? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/atlantis-replacement-407183/)

tmemedia Mar 5th, 2004 09:22 AM

Atlantis replacement?

Halp! My daughter LOVES Atlantis. I hate it. We've been there for the past three years in a row because I am a good mother. ;)
This summer, I want to try someplace new, but my dear daughter really wants a place with a large pool and waterslides like Atlantis. We've been to Bermuda, which I adore, but there are no waterslides there. Does anyone know of a resort with large pool and waterslides in the Caribbean so I don't have to do horrid Atlantis again this year?

Teresa

cartera45 Mar 5th, 2004 04:48 PM

Good mothers take care of their children but the best mothers take care of themselves,too. As a single mother with one daughter, I cannot resist telling you that this trip needs to be more about what you want or more about what you and your spouse want. She will have to get over herself at some point. I know, you didn't ask for my advice on that subject. I think you would all like Beaches Negril - if you have to have children's activities available. I think they are putting in a water park that should be open soon, if not already. They have a new spa for you. The beach is great and there will be plenty for her to do. I took my 13 yr old daughter to a non AI last year in Negril and she loved it. She loved bargaining for trinkets all along the beach - we walked our feet off. She loved helping me pick out funky little restaurants for our next great meal - but most of all she loved lounging on the spectacular beach drinking Tings. She didn't even go into the pool. There are lots of watersports available on the beach and great day trips can be planned to waterfalls or into the Blue Mountains. Margaritaville is nearby and you can jump off the cliffs of Negril.

dmotl Mar 5th, 2004 06:09 PM

There is somthing wrong here. If you want your child to be in a box you can certainly find less expensive places than atlantis--probably in theme parks close to your home . If you want to educate her and make her appreciate her status in the world you may want to take her to more funky down home places where she can mix with locals and meet the real folks of the world. They are great people with nothing to hide or make up cause they have no money they have to do it on their own values. Some suggestions:
Negril--English speaking--outspoken
Isla Mujeres--a trip back to the 50's with all its simple happy life.Living proof that money does not buy happiness or values.

tmemedia Mar 6th, 2004 03:54 PM

Thanks for all the advice. My daughter HAS been to many other places in the world and is a mighty good traveler, but she's high energy and loves all the noise and stuff to do at Atlantis. I just wanted some recommendations on other places sort of LIKE Atlantis that I may not know about. Thanks for the tip on Beaches in Negril, I'll look into that. I'm also thinking about the Westin in the Caymans. Any other suggestions?

Teresa

meta Mar 7th, 2004 04:29 AM

Teresa, the Westin in the caymans is a good place for kids. Right on the beach, you can rent waverunners, kayaks, floats and a lot of other things. It's a really safe island, and you can leave things on the beach and walk around and not have to worry. (also, the outside bar makes great drinks)

By the way, how old is your daughter?

gail Mar 7th, 2004 08:43 AM

I would try to determine what, if anything, she likes about Atlantis other than the waterslides. Assuming she is at an age where she is able to decide and converse about what she wants in a vacation. When we have asked our kids this question, answers are never what we predict - our daughter wants a beach without jellyfish and seaweed - our son wants to try some new barbeque. Things we assumed were important to them are not - and vice versa.

Then a nice exercies in mother-daughter compromise would be for you to put together your list. What you both come up with will probably surprise you both (it's a long story - but we planned for London, ended up going to Egypt, and all were happier for it)

dnl2 Mar 7th, 2004 11:26 AM

I queston whether Westin on Cayman is what your daughter would like. Cayman is laid back and the activities center around snorkeling and diving and the water. If she needs to be entertained with activities, Cayman may not be a good choice.

tmemedia Mar 7th, 2004 04:46 PM

Thanks for all the advice! It's really helped. I will ask her specifically what she likes about Atlantis. I THINK she will say the waterslides and the huge aquariums, which mesmerize her. Also, just the vast variety of things to do - she's a high energy 12 year old, as I said before. I'm thinking Cayman might be a good compromise because, although it's laid back it's got what I like -- a beautiful beach, and from the pictures it looks like it has a great huge pool, which my daughter will like. Kayaks and floats are good things to keep her occupied as well. Keep the suggestions coming, you guys are really helping.

Teresa

meta Mar 7th, 2004 04:53 PM

Teresa, I have a VERY high enegy 11 yr. old that bores easily and needs to be kept busy. As long as your daughter likes the water, she'll find plenty to occupy her at the Westin. Also, stop by a dive shop and pick her up a snorkeling mask, snorkels and fins. (we didn't bring fins and wished we did)

MightyIsis Mar 7th, 2004 06:49 PM

If she's 12, she's old enough to snorkel. Since she likes the aquariums at Atlantis, it sounds like she would really take to snorkeling, which is the real thing anyway. Kayaking, paddle boating, etc, would be other ways to enjoy the water with the added benefit of her actually expending energy instead of simply going with gravity down the waterslide. So then she'll be pleasantly tired at the end of a day. (you did say she was high energy). Caymans, Virgin Islands, and the Carib coast of Mexico are all really good snorkeling destinations. If she cannot live without waterslides, tell her you'll take her to the nearest WetNWild this summer. You'll have plenty of cash to do so since you saved all that money by not going to Atlantis :)