Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Asking for a local of St. Maarten to reply (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/asking-for-a-local-of-st-maarten-to-reply-502026/)

SNL Feb 7th, 2005 09:13 PM

Asking for a local of St. Maarten to reply

Planning a Mom and daughter trip: Arriving in St. Maarten on Feb.20th with my 15 year old daughter. We love fresh seafood and great French food at the best value possible on the island and like to experience the "locals food". What are the locals and tourists favorite/tried and true restaurants for fresh seafood AND French cuisine? You know....the ones that will always show up on St. Maarten's TOP 10 LIST for great food at somewhat reasonable prices? I live in a resort town too with many restaurants---the LOCALS KNOW the best places. Please help.

Statia Feb 8th, 2005 03:42 AM

Well, I don't live on SXM, but I'm only 35 miles away and go often. My suggestion for great local fare and fresh seafood, particularly lobster, would be the Lolos in Grand Case. They are barbecue shacks that serve generous portions at really great prices. Talk of the Town is touted to be the best.

As far as French cuisine, that's a tough one as there are many great French restaurants on the island. I would suggest visiting Marina Royale in Marigot, as well as Restaurant Row in Grand Case, and just read the menus posted outside as you walk along the establishments to see what strikes your fancy. I have never really had a bad French meal in either of those areas.

I'm sure locals Barbara and Dan, as well as other frequent visitors to SXM will also chime in to suggest their favorites.

Statia Feb 8th, 2005 03:46 AM

I forgot to mention that for really fresh seafood try Lee's Roadside Grill in Simpson Bay on the Dutch side. Great food and very affordable.

Also don't forget Zee Best in Marigot for a great French breakfast, including omelettes and fresh pastries.

Here is a link that might give you some more ideas.

http://gobeach.com/restrant.htm

SNL Feb 8th, 2005 11:50 AM

Statia...
Thank you for your great suggestions. We will definately be trying the places you recommended. I'm thrilled you suggested a reasonable place for lobster! Would you also recommend that we get a rental car for the week? We'll be staying at the Pelican Resort on Simpson Bay? I'm guessing that would be best. Any beaches you'd recommend for snorkeling? We're scuba divers but not sure if St. Maarten has great dive sites...if not, we'll be fine with snorkeling. Thanks so much for your help!

oceanic Feb 8th, 2005 12:51 PM

Just so you know St. Maarten is Dutch and St. Martin is French. I would recommend staying on St. Martin not St. Maarten. Great french restaurants and resonable rates.

tropicaldan Feb 8th, 2005 01:24 PM

Staying at the pelican you will be surrounded by the fine array of excellent restaurants in Simpson Bay.

Probably best to talk to other tourists at pelican and take a recommendation from some who've already dined out.

The 'lolos' in Grand Case give you a great taste of Caribbean local cuisine right on the waterfront with a nice view of Anguilla.

Grand Case itself has the best French 'haute cuisine' establishments - buy they can be pricey!

baker Feb 8th, 2005 01:41 PM

SNL: I agree with Statia; go to Talk of The Town for lobster. We had some recently and it was far cheaper than at the "touisty" restos. Now, you don't get the fancy baked potato in foil or the little cups of butter and sauces but for $25 we got a lobster big enough to share. My fave meal there is ribs, coleslaw, potato salad, johnnycake washed down with a cold Coke. The bill for 2 of us is about $20. If you want another nice place try Plongeoir (diver) at the new harbour in Marigot right down from the West Indies Mall. The food is freshly prepared, creative and delicious. In the marina we go to Brasserie de la Gare.

And take Oceanic's advice; stay on the French side; it's so much nicer. And it has a much more continental feel.

baker Feb 8th, 2005 01:44 PM

Forgot to add; while dining at Talk of the Town last year we had Steve Martin (yes, THE Steve Martin) sit down to share our table. That was fun.

SNL Feb 8th, 2005 08:12 PM

Baker, Very cool that you dined with Steve Martin! You all are giving me great suggestions. How long of a drive to the French side from Simpson Bay? It can't be much of a drive to anywhere on the island, right?

Statia Feb 9th, 2005 03:45 AM

SNL, I am a fan of the French side over the Dutch side, as well. The drive between Simpson Bay and Marigot or Grand Case can vary depending on the traffic. I would say it averages about twenty minutes to a half hour most of the time, but can be longer if traffic is bad.

I would highly advise renting a car while you are on the island. There is so much to see and do and being without a vehicle will limit you. I have used Best Deal Car Rental for years and been very happy with them. They are located at the airport and you can reserve online. http://www.bestdealcarrental.com/

Sorry I can't make any suggestions for diving or snorkeling. I do enough of that where I live so it never occurs to me to partake on SXM.

Enjoy your trip!

BTW - Neat story, baker!