Aruba weather's not all it's cracked up to be

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rain 5 of the 7 days we were there only lasted about 45 minutes, however the wind was the issue. I knew it was windy before I went but what I hadn't counted on was the wind COMBINED with the sun being completely obliterated by clouds, which it was at least 50% of the time every day but one (I was told by locals this is normal).

When that sun gets covered and the wind hits you, it can be downright chilly esp if you're wet, and the water was not as warm as some other islands I've been to. My friend got hit in the head twice by the back of her lounge chair, which the wind kept blowing forward whenever she sat up. That's some serious wind. The snorkeling was nothing to write home about either.

On the plus side, it was great to not be panhandled or harrassed on the beach and the scenery up by the lighthouse is gorgeous.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 04:37 PM

Not sure exactly when you went but December and January are the "rainy" months in Aruba. Try Spring or Fall next time...
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 04:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We went in late March 2004 and had great weather. I think we had 5 min of rain one day the entire week. We had mostly sunny days too. It is windy. We stayed at the Marriott and it wasn't bad. I hear the area of the Wyndam is very windy.
It is like everywhere else. It has to rain sometimes and unfortunately on someone's vacation. I am sure that some days are windier than others and some areas of the island. My mother hated Aruba because of the wind. The wind was fine for me. It never got above a breezy wind.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 06:35 PM

We will be leaving in 10 days for Aruba...thanks for the reply Did you rent a car while there? We are staying at the Marriott Surf Club (one of the brand new towers).Did you do any excursions?
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 07:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We did not rent a car. We took taxis to restaurants. Many people do rent cars. I understand renting a jeep is fun there.
The Marriott is very nice. When we were there, they were building the Surf Club. It looked nice. We stayed in the Hotel portion.
We used Roberto for a snorkel trip and Nick was our captain. Since we were two families, we rented the boat for just us. They are located next to the Holiday Inn ( a short walk from the Marriott). There are all kinds of snorkel party boats. There is also a bus called the Kookookanuku bus (something like that). It takes you bar hopping. It sounded like fun. This was a family vacation so no party buses or boats for us! The restaurants are great in Aruba. Go to El Gaucho(downtown area). Just jump in a cab and say El Gaucho and he will take you there! We also liked the Chalet Suisse. The marriott has a beach restaurant called Simply Fish. You can dine as the sun goes down. Very nice atmosphere, food was okay (I am not a big fish person.) I understand the Marriott's italian restuarant is good. We did not dine there. I have heard good things about Chez Matilde and the Flying Fishbone (need a car for this one). Enjoy your trip and don't worry about the weather or the wind. Go to aruba-bb.com for more aruba info!
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 07:17 PM

We visited Aruba in June,

The weather was glorious, no rain at all and although it was a bit breezy the heat would have been unbearable without it.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 04:48 AM

We had wonderful weather in September...
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 05:15 AM
KVR

Glad to hear the weather was wonderful in Sept. We are going the first week Sept. '06.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 05:20 AM

Oh gosh, I thought if you could bottle the weather anywhere in the world it would be Aruba.

When we were there, it was pretty warm. So the wind was very refreshing, the occasional cloud cover welcomed, and the other occasional misting (never really rain drops) also very refreshing.

Plus one aspect to the wind that is very undervalued is the no bugs. The wind died down for a few days while we were there and the mosquitos came out in droves! We were thrilled when the wind came back and they all magically went away.

You do have to hold onto your drink a bit on the beach, but really, is that such a terrible things to have to worry about in this world?
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 05:48 AM

KVR...that's exactly the time of month we went. It is warm but the breeze keeps it nice. And we never had any issues with blowing sand.

make sure to eat at El Gaucho!!

Have fun
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 06:24 AM

Aruba has experienced greater than average rainfall this year which is why the island is greener now than is usually the case. Like hurricanes, rain goes in cycles and we're now in one of those wet and stormy cycles. This isn't the first time Aruba has experienced substantial rainfall and it won't be the last. I think that the Caribbean as a whole has been experiencing greater than average rainfall (and, as we all know, hurricanes too).
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

"It is like everywhere else."

Well actually my point was it's not. This is the 12th island I've visited and by far the windiest; and overall it has the second worst weather in my experience.

I didnt rent a car; taxi to restaurants was never more than $6 one way. I did an island tour (4.5 hrs plus snorkeling at baby beach) with Gemini (arranged by Bucuti) and enjoyed it though baby beach was disappointing. Cost $30. Pretty but nothing much to see under water.

I went with Depalm for the 4.5 hr snorkle trip. It was great. Only 20ish people on the boat, lunch catered by Le dome, 3 snorkle spots. Everytime I saw red sail sports' boat go out it was packed like sardines. Also my concierge reminded me that smaller boats, like midushi and jolly pirates, are bumpier rides (making sea sickness more likely), have less desirable food on board, less shade, less comfy seating and tend to have more children. I'm glad I went with depalm. I had read bad things about them on here but we had no problems.

We also went with them for their half day package to depalm island. Loved the huge blue parrot fish but other than them, nothing much to see underwater here either and it gets very crowded.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 07:11 AM

I'm not a huge fan of Aruba. I think there are pretty islands with more to offer. However I've always kept Aruba as a backup destination since it is fairly affordable and the weather is pretty reliable. I've been in March when the weather has been wonderful and most recently a year ago November where we had a little rain a couple of days. It never lasted very long. As I understand it, we were there in the time frame where one might expect some rain. As to the wind, we've been there when it was quite stiff and other times when it was nonexistent. I prefer a bit of a breeze because it keeps the bugs away.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 07:52 AM

Beanie, I'm more than a bit curious as to WHY you keep going to the Caribbean when you always seem to have such a crappy time.

Your Barbados trip report revealed that you hated it, and now you come on and tell us all about how the weather on Aruba is "not all it's cracked up to be" when it rained all of 45 min. every day.

Anyone who does ANY research about Aruba knows about the wind there.

Your comments about some of the other islands you've been to on your Barbados post are utterly ridiculous.

Since a major concern of yours is not being "harrassed" (sic) by vendors, and you hate the whole idea of local people BOTHERING you, - A quote from another of your posts: "I dont like poverty; I dont want to see it smell it or encounter criminals that result from it. I dont want to be harrassed or begged for $. This is why I choose to live on the east side of manhattan vs. 145th street." - why don't you just do everyone a major favor and TRAVEL ELSEWHERE? (I'm sure the "natives" would be forever grateful.)

From another of beanie's posts: "But I try to travel to places where I know I can find some seclusion away from 'natives'"

I think we can guess beanie, why you are not enjoying your trips to the Caribbean and just what kind of person you are. The comments you made on your handful of other nasty, rude posts make it crystal clear.

I have a suggestion for you... Disney World. People like you just looove it.
You can go and pretend you are in another country, yet everything is clean and everyone is smiling, and you don't have to deal with ANYONE "bothering" you. Perfect!
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 07:58 AM

Weather is a variable we can't control ! And practitically every post here, every photo I;ve seen , every clip on TV , the wind is mentioned .
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 08:18 AM

OK folks, here is a website that gives statical weather averages for each month. It will give you an idea of what to expect in the way of temperatures, rainfall, humidity, wind speeds, etc. for Aruba.

http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/w...=&units=us

We have travelled a fair bit in the Caribbean and I found the wind stronger in Aruba than anywhere else we have been and we also felt that the snorkeling wasn't great in Aruba. The water clarity was lacking, especially on Palm Beach. We didn't like that people were using the beaches as their personal ashtray and that there was other litter such as disosable plastic cups, etc. on the beaches.

IMHO, I think Aruba is over hyped for what you get and I would not go back unless I won a trip.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 08:28 AM

The great thing about Aruba is ypou can go in September and October and be much less at risk for hurricanes and rain.

I know many people do not care for Aruba but my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our trip. There are subjective negatives to any island.

What we liked about Aruba were the terrific beaches, great food, fun beach bars, fun excursions, nice breeze, and even though the water is not as crystal clear as in some places, the turquoise color of the water is amazing. And prices weren't bad as compared to some islands.

Granted, the snorkeling isn't incredible but it was fine, especially around the wrecks, and it was somewhat americanized but mnay islands are. I don't go to the islands to shop and thus do not spend much time in town which is where is Americanization is most evident. But the architecture in Orangestad I found to be very pretty.

I think any trip is what you make of it. I enjoy visiting new islands and try to sppreciate what is unique about each one.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 09:08 AM

I agree completely with Kristen1206 about Aruba and about the right attitude you need to truly enjoy a vacation.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

"I'm more than a bit curious as to WHY you keep going to the Caribbean when you always seem to have such a crappy time."

How does one awful trip and one trip where certain aspects were disappointing qualify as "always have a crappy time??" I've been to 12 islands - do you see bad reviews on the other 10? I've had good and bad vacations just like everyone else.

"Your Barbados trip report revealed that you hated it"

Yes, and? All posters are required to love all their trips? Then what would be the point of this board?

"Now you come on and tell us all about how the weather on Aruba is "not all it's cracked up to be" when it rained all of 45 min. every day."

If you bothered to read I said the rain was NOT the problem, the high prevalence of clouds and lack of sun combined with the high wind was. Aruba is billed as a sunny destination, not one where there are just as many clouds as sun.

"Anyone who does ANY research about Aruba knows about the wind there."

I knew as well, but I didnt know that the sun would be obliterated by clouds half the time making the wind extremely uncomfortable. I also didn't know the water would not be warm.

"Your comments about some of the other islands you've been to on your Barbados post are utterly ridiculous."

Why is not wanting to be harrassed ridiculous? Do you honestly pay top dollar to travel to be harrassed? I'd love to do a poll on this as I guarantee you the vast majority would say they dont like it, esp if its sexual harrassment. But vendors can spoil a day at the beach too, esp after the 10th one that bugs you. Beaches are supposed to provide relaxation. I'm somehow a bad person bc I dont want drunken and/or panhandling locals in my face?

Diana if you enjoy mingling with criminals, panhandlers and drunks, that's your thing. I dont. Esp when I'm paying a lot of money. And you know as well as I do that many islands in the Caribbean DON'T have this problem (Aruba, Cayman, Turks, St. Barths, Anguilla, St. John to name a few) so why you're saying I shouldnt go to the Caribbean at all if I dont like poverty is ignorant. Do you like poverty? Do you enjoy the scenery it provides?

WHy do you think so many wealthy people go to St. Barths?? Bc it's a wealthy island with no harrassment and they know they wont have to deal with the crap I did on the beaches of Barbados. That's life. Sorry if you have problems with it.

Having said that, an island with NO people would be even better but alas I'm not wealthy enough to swing that yet. Luckily though I have been able to find beaches where there wasn't a living soul other than me and my companion. Sorry if that offends you. I believe honesty is best, vs being a slave to political correctness.

Old Jan 18th, 2006, 11:42 AM
GoTravel

Beanie, how was Baby Beach disappointing? It is one of the most gorgeous scenic beaches in the Caribbean? I'm thinking never went to Baby Beach.

The lagoon part is like a pool and just over the rocks, literally, you can scuba dive. We dove and snorkeled Baby Beach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -