Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   ARUBA TRIP IN JULY (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/aruba-trip-in-july-228138/)

Macias Family Jun 4th, 2002 06:35 PM

ARUBA TRIP IN JULY

OK - Wife, 7yr.old son and myself are going to ARUBA for the 1st time and I need all advice I can get. Do I need a car? How big is this Island? What restuarants u recommend and places to visit? Especially for a 7yr. old boy! I might be staying at the Hyatt or Marriott Hotel - My company is paying for staying at one of the hotels. So can't beat that - I wish it was just my wife and I but this is a last minute thing. <BR>Please recommend what ever helps and links would be greatly appreciated.<BR>THANKS SO MUCH!!

Jennifer Jun 5th, 2002 07:45 AM

My friend and I have been twice in the last year and are going again in August- we absolutely fell in love with it. We are always surprised by the families that bring their kids but there are quite a few of you out there. Since it is such a small island, we usually only get a car for one day and take cabs or the bus the rest of the time that we need to get anywhere. It is very easy to get a car at your hotel- so no real need to pre-plan especially in July. We keep finding new favorites and have had relatively few bad experiences that I can't think if any one or two things- definitely go to the Natural Bridge and Baby Beach (can be done in one day with your car.) We spend a week at a time there and go to the gorcery early in the trip to have cheap food on hand for the days we just spend lounging on the beach- it saves a lot of money!

Jennifer Jun 5th, 2002 07:46 AM

My friend and I have been twice in the last year and are going again in August- we absolutely fell in love with it. We are always surprised by the families that bring their kids but there are quite a few of you out there. Since it is such a small island, we usually only get a car for one day and take cabs or the bus the rest of the time that we need to get anywhere. It is very easy to get a car at your hotel- so no real need to pre-plan especially in July. We keep finding new favorites and have had relatively few bad experiences that I can't think if any one or two things- definitely go to the Natural Bridge and Baby Beach (can be done in one day with your car.) We spend a week at a time there and go to the grocery early in the trip to have cheap food on hand for the days we just spend lounging on the beach- it saves a lot of money! Our favorite restaurant by far is Amazonia- check it out!

Macias Family Jun 5th, 2002 10:01 AM

THANK YOU - this helps!!

Linda Jun 5th, 2002 10:36 AM

If your son is into pools with big slides he will love the one at the Hyatt. Also, the buttefly farm might be of interest. There is also miniature golf. Also, he might enjoy the submarine ride. When we've taken our kids they just wanted the beach, pool and to hang with the other kids they met.

Sharon Jun 5th, 2002 11:20 AM

We just returned from a March trip--that would be our 7th trip! We always rent a car because it is nice to have transportation and also for exploring some areas like Baby Beach--its very easy--some people prefer jeeps for the rough terrain in certain areas). <BR>The island is very small! <BR>Adventure Minature Golf will be fun for your 7 year old. <BR>If you type out Aruba, tourism using Google you can access information. Some fun restaurants for 7 year olds might be Amazonia, Tony Roma's, Bucaneer (big aquariums), Flying Fishbone (on the beach-only if he likes fish).

Karin Jun 5th, 2002 08:42 PM

Check out arubabound.com, which will tell you everything and more you need to know about Aruba.

Macias Jun 6th, 2002 06:50 AM

OH MAN!! You guys are awesome! Thanks so much - I feel more relaxed knowing my son will enojoy it as much as we will!!

Ted Jun 6th, 2002 07:11 AM

<BR><BR>Ask any question on www.aruba-bb.com and you'll get many well-educated answers. Great board populated by Aruba fanatics.<BR>