Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Aruba tourism hurting (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/aruba-tourism-hurting-540548/)

dotsy Jun 29th, 2005 07:34 PM

Aruba tourism hurting

Just curious to know if tourism by Americans is down in Aruba due to the disappearence of Natalie Holloway

janieanderson Jun 29th, 2005 10:24 PM

It didn't seem to be hurting to us. I think it's actually great publicity. When we first planned our trip and told people they'd say where? other than the song that's all they knew. (We're from California) But now they'd be surprised but aware. One friend commented how all the news coverage showing its beauty made her want to go.
Carlos and Charlies was quite busy and the locals seemed to think it was doing fine still.

christiegr Jun 30th, 2005 04:05 AM

This case keeps getting more and more fishy..Van der sloot senior giving his son and friends advice that "there is no case without a body"only 1 day after Natalee was missing.Who would make such a statement unless they know that she is already dead..that early in the case??Hopefully I am wrong and with some luck..she may be alive somewhere.

I hope that this does not hurt Aruba's tourism because its not Aruba's fault that these few guys may have done a horrible crime.I really hope that her family gets some closure or their daughter back.

jacketwatch Jun 30th, 2005 04:38 AM

I think it will hurt, at least for the short term if the case is not solved and especially if it appears they literally got away with murder.

TG Jun 30th, 2005 04:50 AM

Aruba's police make Inspector Clousseau seem like Elliot Ness -- trying to frame the black security guards will be a hard thing for them to deal with and create some racial tensions -- tragic story all round!

jacketwatch Jun 30th, 2005 06:25 AM

I don't think they tried to frame those guys TG. The proof is they are out and the police are tying to get a confession from the 3 in custody which is all that the authorities can hope for if no remains are found. I think we all feel the 3 know the true story. The Dutch boy has lied at least once already. Where's there is smoke.....

Curt Jun 30th, 2005 06:48 AM

If anyone thinks this has hurt the business try to book something in November as I have been doing...seems to be no overabundance of rooms or any very sweet deals. Thus, I would suspect that is had minimum impact, and it should not, since this is simply a crime that occurs every day in every city in every country of the world. It has been blown way up by the press, and yes I feel sorry for the families involved, but it is just one of those too much alcohol and then things got out of hand stories ....

Knowing Jun 30th, 2005 11:15 AM

I just heard last week that tourism is higher than ever. People that normally make their reservations at this time are unable to get into their usual spots even and are having to book at another hotel.

MuyLinda Jul 4th, 2005 05:57 PM

We were in Aruba last week and everything is status quo. Doesn't appear that tourism is hurting in the least for the Arubans, thankfully.

regulator Jul 5th, 2005 08:12 PM

Whoa....what an issue....

Aruba should be held a little responsible. On an island that small they should solve a crime like this quickly. Lets face it you cannot easily dispose of a body there.

I didn't say that the Aruba PD should be responsible for preventing this crime. They should be responsible for solving this crime and they didn't.

ScottB Jul 6th, 2005 02:35 AM

I have a weird feeling that Natalie's body is not in Aruba. My gut tells me she's either out to sea, or maybe still alive but in South America...some sort of slave trade maybe....just a guess. But with no body after a month+, I think they need to look elsewhere....

vegas62 Jul 11th, 2005 10:54 AM

If you go to Aruba, do not depend on (1) any actual police intelligence to assist you with any crime and (2) any special consideration because you are a US citizen.

liza Jul 11th, 2005 11:06 AM

" it is just one of those too much alcohol and then things got out of hand stories ...."

Wow.

Too much alcohol? You think Natalee broght this on herself or you think her killer just drank a tad too much or what?

Wow.

filter14 Jul 12th, 2005 05:46 PM

My OPINION is that tourism won't appear to be affected right now because some people can't afford to cancel their reso's and lose any money; reporters(perhaps not at this point), family, friends(and search teams)of Natalee's need places to sleep and eat; and other people just love Aruba and if something doesn't affect them personally there's no changing their opinion. Human nature.

My group of 8 were just there in Jan. and visited the island approx 10 yrs ago. We considered returning next Jan (staying at Tierra del Sol since our trip at the Marriott was a waste of time and money) but we've decided to go elsewhere. Everyone's entitled to their opinion on this subject just as we can spend our tourist dollars as we choose. Do I think if we had a wonderful vacation in Jan. that we'd reconsider another trip? Yes. But that feeds right into my opinion that if you loved Aruba, you'll return- if you've never been, you may give it a chance especially if finances are a concern, but if you were on the fence about the island, I think a return visit isn't likely.

Prayers to the Holloway-Twitty family and friends.

semiramis Jul 13th, 2005 10:06 AM

"If you go to Aruba, do not depend on (1) any actual police intelligence to assist you with any crime and (2) any special consideration because you are a US citizen."

Why should US citizens get "special" consideration ?

semiramis Jul 13th, 2005 10:08 AM

"Aruba should be held a little responsible. On an island that small they should solve a crime like this quickly. Lets face it you cannot easily dispose of a body there.

I didn't say that the Aruba PD should be responsible for preventing this crime. They should be responsible for solving this crime and they didn't."

Aruba is SURROUNDED by a very large ocean - if you committed a murder there - where do you think you would dump a body? No body, no evidence - How exactly do you solve the crime quickly ?

christiegr Jul 13th, 2005 02:28 PM

My only wish is that if Natalee is dead and in the ocean...with alot of luck..her body will be found.I know its highly unlikely but then maybe someone would talk.

KeyGal Jul 14th, 2005 07:56 PM

The question was whether tourism was hurting. According to my travel agent who specializes in Aruba, bookings are actually up this year and they have not been going down despite all the reports that they will.

christiegr Jul 15th, 2005 08:22 AM

It just depends on what happens with the NH case as to if tourism will be affected.If it seems that the govt. is crooked..I think that it could affect tourism.People want to go somewhere that they feel the laws on crimes are stict.

If tourism is affected I think that it will take a year to notice.JM2C

christiegr Jul 15th, 2005 08:24 AM

typo:
stict- STRICT