Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Aruba suggestions-restaurants, "shouldn't miss" attractions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 12:54 PM
Darlene

Going to Aruba last week of Jan. Would appreciate any suggestions on Restaurants (adventurous eater,love to try the local foods). Also, any "shouldn't miss" attractions? Any recommendations on a good, not crowded catamaran/snorkeling trip? Any good hiking?

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 02:14 PM
Randy

Try Tejas de Brazil---its out in the high rise hotel area. Also try the Italian restaurant near California Lighthouse---can't remember the name but the food and setting are very nice. Try to get an outdoor table.<BR><BR>We've gone 4 times and had great times on a small cat that sails out of the Holiday Inn called Octopus. Only holds about 15 or so. The owners (husband and wife) do nice rum punch, have great snacks and are genuinely nice people. You need to go to the dock at the Holiday Inn to get info and you are supposed to call in advance for reservations. The sunset cruise is about $20 US per person and I think the half day snorkeling tour is about $35. Nice way to see the island and surely beats the big ships that look like nothing more than floating bars.<BR><BR>Only "hike" that I've done is up Hoiburg (Haystack)which is more or less in the center of the island. From there you can see the whole island. The "hike" is up concrete stairs but is a great work out. Some of the Dutch military that pass through Aruba on tour us this location for a sunrise run because its about the most strenuous thing you can do.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 03:14 PM
ejc

I was in Aruba 2 years ago,and there a restaurant named, Le Petite. It's located near the Holiday Inn, in the high-rise section. Your food is served on a hot stone. It actually cooks in front of you. This, you must try.<BR> Rent a jeep for a day or 2. You'll be able to see the whole island.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 04:28 PM
Chris

We were in Aruba beginning of Janaury for the first time and loved it. Don't know if you are certified, but he diving was great through Red Sail Sports. We had a great dive master and dove two wrecks. Great marine life. Alos a restarunt that is out on a short pier on Palm Beach, had wonderful lbster and watched the sunset- definately a must.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 04:37 PM
Lauren

I was just in Aruba in December for my 3rd visit. As far as restaurants, don't miss <BR>El Gaucho (in town)-steak<BR>Amazonia -churascaria<BR>Papiamento<BR>Chalet Suisse (french)<BR>Sunset Grille<BR>If you have a car, you can drive to the Natural bridge. Have fun!<BR>

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 05:08 AM
Darlene

Wonderful suggestions!! Thanks everyone for responding! I can't wait to get there. <BR>Thanks Chris, I am certified & would like to get a dive in. My travelmates don't dive.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 06:54 AM
W

Here are some more restaurant recommendations besides the ones already mention. Most of these establishments offer outside dining & superb sunsets, make reservations! The name of the restaurant at the California Lighthouse is La Trattoria El Faro Blanco. Try Hostaria Da Vittorio located in front of the Hyatt Resort & beside Brickell Bay Beach Club for Arubian cuisine & seafood, Ventana's Del Mar located at Tierra Del Sol Resort & Club House, this is worth the bucks, Ruinas Del Mar located at the Hyatt Regency Resort & they can even set you up on the beach for a romantic sunset & dining, Chez Mathilde French the Steak House located in the Mancherbo Beach Resort. Theys have a 5 course meal there called the Ambassador's Dinner which includes a bottle of wine for around $30/person.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 08:02 AM
Ted

If you're adventurous, try finding the Natural Pool. You'll need a 4-wheel drive vehicle. The journey is half the fun, and the Natural Pool (created by coral) is spectacular. <BR><BR>A few tours will take you to the Natl Pool, but I don't recommend them. The pool is small and not fun when crowded. Plus, finding it yourself is the whole point of the journey.<BR>Good Luck! Find it!<BR>

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 10:16 AM
Laura

You need to go to a restaurant called "Que Pasa"- it si great local food a little out of the way but well worth it! We found it on our last night but would have gone there every night if we could have. Plus, you can buy local art there. ENJOY!