ARUBA - Sonesta Hotel, Opinions??

Jul 31st, 1998, 04:50 AM
Pam

ARUBA - Sonesta Hotel, Opinions??

I'm considering a trip to Aruba this fall and have found a good package staying at the Sonesta Hotel. Has anyone stayed there? Would you recommend it? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jul 31st, 1998, 08:19 AM
Cari

I stayed at the Sonesta Suites, right across the street. The Sonesta is in the downtown area it's not with the other hotels on the "strip" but we liked it just fine. The Sonesta has their own private island you can go to, a water taxi picks you up in the lobby of the hotel. We rented a car for one day and that was plenty to see the whole island and take in the sites. Taxis if you want to visit the hotels/beach on the "strip" are usually about $7-$8 one way (fares are regulated in Aruba) But overall we had a great time in Aruba the service could have been a little better at the Sonesta, but it was fine just the same. Let me know if I can tell you anything else. Cari

Jul 31st, 1998, 09:05 AM
Pam

Thanks Cari. I had heard about the private island owned by Sonesta -- how convenient is it to get to? Is it a quick boat ride? Whan kind of facilities do they have on the island? Can you recommend any reasonably priced restaurants near the hotel? I appreciate your opinion.

Jul 31st, 1998, 09:36 AM
Cari

the island is very eady to get to. If you're staying at the hotel the water taxi literally picks you up in the lobby, if you're at the suites its a short walk through the parking lot. I liked to Pool and Lagoon much better at the suites than at the hotel. The hotel pool was on the second floor and it overlooked the main/busy street. But it was high enough above that the street wasn't a bother. If you are a guest at either the hotel or suites you can use all the facilities at either site. The island was fine we spent one day there and got picked up for our scuba diving trips there. BUT!!!! bring bug spray if you go to the island. Some days there was not a bug in sight other days you had to be sprayed from head to toe. You can go snokling there, rent a raft for the day (I think it was $5 for the day) I was at the Sonesta the second week of Sept. 97.Just lay on the beach or eat lunch or breakfast there is an outdoor cafe/restaurant on the island. It's only a 3-5 minute water taxi ride to get there. As for dining, there are tons of fast food places within short walking distance from the Sonesta. There are tons of restaurants also within walking distance. Prices vary. There are A LOT (read as A LOT!!!) of people (but their polite) who are paid to stand on the street and hand out advertisements and specials to get you to eat at the restaurant they're hawking. (This also goes for timeshare/condos, you know come for a visit, low pressure sales presentation and we give you a free meal you can't walk 50 feet without someone trying to talk you in to that deal, but again they are mostly polite if you refuse) There is Senor Frogs (chain restaurant) but great frajitas, I'm not much of an experimenter (is there such a word???) when it comes to eating so if you want give me more specifics and I can tell you more about dining (and whatever else). Cari

Aug 3rd, 1998, 02:37 AM
Sue

We've been to Sonesta Suites twice in the past couple of years and would not hesitate to stay there again and we would also consider the Sonesta Hotel. Great location. Food at the Sonesta Hotel is very very good. The fact of being able to go to the private island right from the lobby is great. Beaches there are beautiful, mangrove swamp, pink flamingoes, parrots, pelicans. Snorkeling wasn't the greatest there though. Although the beach at the highrise hotels is great, there are far too many people and not enough to do around there. Staying right downtown is very convenient to exceptional restaurants, the cruise ship port and the shopping. Aruba is a great island. Have fun.

Aug 21st, 1998, 05:01 AM
Janie

I stayed at the Sonesta Suites, through my time share - the hotel that is not in with the mall. If this is the one you are talking about??

The people are extra nice and make sure you try the German Resturant across the way - the best!

Travel the island with a jeep you'll love it, a little bumpy.

But the hotel is nice and I would stay there again!!

Have a great time, I wish I was going this year, I am going to Cancun.