Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   aruba or st lucia (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/aruba-or-st-lucia-136366/)

abc Jan 3rd, 2003 09:52 AM

aruba or st lucia

for best beaches, best pina coladas, nice resorty hotel for traveling alone?

aruba Jan 3rd, 2003 10:01 AM

To answer you questions.. Aruba, Aruba and Aruba. :) We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Aruba. Fantastic beach with warm water, delicious drinks and lots of singles, couples and a few families. Nice mix of people. Wonderful place, the food at the restaurants was decent, the themed buffets were less decent. I would check out other restaurants next time but we were on the all-inclusive plan so we dined there the whole time.<BR><BR>Re: St. Lucia, I didn't like the beaches nearly as well -- too rocky and rough. Aruba is windy but very safe calm water on the resort side of the island. The other side is rugged and rough, no swimming but worth a day trip to see if you have time.

cdt Jan 3rd, 2003 11:40 AM

There are some good reasons to pick St. Lucia over Aruba (scenery; more interesting culture) but all of the criteria you listed point toward Aruba.<BR>

abc Jan 3rd, 2003 12:45 PM

great! love to hear more!

vxv Jan 3rd, 2003 01:08 PM

I've never been to St. Lucia, but spent 6 days in Aruba in March. It was a clean, safe, and friendly island. We stayed at the Wyndham and had a great time. Two drawbacks: 1) the wind (it makes for a lot of bad hair days), and 2) it had desert-like scenery (if you are from Arizona, this is not good; if you are from a non-desert locale, Aruba would be a great change of pace). Overall, we were very happy with our vacation--it was also one of the least expensive Caribbean islands.

freewoman Jan 3rd, 2003 08:48 PM

Easy choice for me. ARUBA!!!!! I hated St. Lucia and I certainly would never consider it if I were travelling alone. I did not feel safe there even with my rather large husband. The only two islands I would (and have) travel to alone would be Aruba and Grand Cayman. (And I would choose Grand Caymay over Aruba mostly because of the wind.)

Carol Jan 4th, 2003 01:24 PM

We have yet to book Aruba, so can only pass information along about St. Lucia. We found that it was very expensive for what you got and staff at the restaurants didn't seem very interested in attention to detail. We didn't enjoy the food and were not comfortable on the island. We are not people who expect to be pampered at all but we appreciate assistance when we ask nicely for it. The beaches are not like they are on other islands as it is volcano based. I, too, enjoy a good Pina Colada and did not find one there. Lastly, St. Lucia is made up of honeymooners and couples which may not be a good mix for you.

Mary Jan 6th, 2003 05:47 AM

Ditto everything that Carol said.

abc Jan 6th, 2003 05:49 AM

well this is all a help. i guess it was an easy question! thank you.