Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Aruba Marriott or Tortola Long Bay Beach for Honeymoon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 03:15 PM
adam

October Honeymoon. Deciding between Aruba Marriott and BVI, Tortola Long Bay Beach Resort. I want beaches, scenery, activities (snorkeling, horseback riding, spa, etc.) Also enjoy seclusion but not too much. I don't want to be around a bunch of Germans fighting for shade on the beach, but want to ovoid hurricane too. Any suggestions?

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 04:42 PM
fran

It's like comparing apples to oranges. The Marriott is a big chain hotel. Long Bay is a smaller property. Haven't been to the Marriott on Aruba because I try to avoid the chains. Long Bay is great. Go for one of the villas on the beach on stilts.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 02:41 AM
Susan

Adam -<BR><BR>My husband and I went to Aruba for our honeymoon and then went back for our 1 year anniversary and then six months later. All times we stayed at the Marriott in Aruba! It was awesome and extremely romantic.<BR><BR>We married on September 24. You will find at that time of the year that it is all honeymooners & anniversary couples. It is wonderful...truly it is.<BR><BR>They have an incredible waterfall in the swimming pool, the grounds are magnificantly landscaped with palm trees and there is of course a swim up pool bar!<BR><BR>It is safe and clean and they are really friendly there!<BR><BR>This hotel is placed on the very end of Palm Beach so you do get privacy, which is great!<BR><BR>You can take walks @ night, and there is virtually no one on the beach.<BR><BR>Rent a jeep if you go, take sunset cruises, horseback riding, horse & buggy carriage ride downtown. Also there is a bus behind the Marriott that will take you downtown, and I think it is only $1.50 p/p<BR><BR>Tons of info, let me know if you want more info.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 02:48 AM
Steve

Aruba is the hurricane fall back location for most travel agents. Wd spent our honeymoon on Tortola and stayed at Long Bay. The cabanas on the water were exceptional and the laid back pace of the island is terrific.<BR><BR>Have been to Aruba but not the Marriot. I just know the the BVI's have much to offer in the way of secluded beaches. Also did a day trip to an outer island of Anegada and a day sail where we had just the captain and ourselves.<BR><BR>Let me know if you need more info.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 10:42 AM
adam

Thanks for the information Fran, Susan, and Steve. It seems either place would be great. I'm going to Marriott Resort on Aruba. I'm so excited!!

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 10:45 AM
Susan

Have an awesome time Adam!<BR><BR>You guys will love it!<BR><BR>When you get there, if you rent a jeep you can explore the north side of the island which has big waves and wonderful secluded beaches!<BR><BR>It is such a romantic destination...truly a remarkable one for your honeymoon!<BR><BR>Enjoy and congratulations!!<BR><BR>

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 10:54 AM
cdt

Good choice during hurricane season, and the umbrella-grabbing hordes (Huns?) should be thinner in October.<BR><BR>Snorkeling in Aruba is best done on one of the many sail/snorkel excursions - Tranquilo, Mi Dushi, Octopus, etc. etc. You can snorkel from shore at Baby Beach (near refinery), DePalm Island (overpriced), or Boca Catalina (near Marriott, but poor visibility when we were there).<BR><BR>Several horseback riding places; many excellent restaurants. If the Marriott offers an all-inclusive option, don't take it.<BR><BR>Have fun!<BR><BR><BR>

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 04:30 PM
nanda

we got married on the beach at Long Bay nov 2000 and had a wonderful peaceful stay it was a little pre season the the surf could get up a bit but the beach is gorgeous and don't miss the absolute wild fun at Bomba's up the road, infamous full moon parties/dance all night. October would be a little more risky for hurricanes perhaps