Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   ARUBA---just how windy is it? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/aruba-just-how-windy-is-it-845460/)

ljv Jun 17th, 2010 01:12 PM

ARUBA---just how windy is it?

Our family has been looking at Aruba as a possible destination for our vacation this August(mid to late). There is what a appears to be a great offer at the Marriot resort in their Tradewinds Club.

However, in many of the posts I've read, people have alluded to the wind in Aruba. Is this a problem? Does the wind cause the sand to blow around? Or are we talking gentle breezes?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

RoamsAround Jun 17th, 2010 04:47 PM

Maybe this will help: During the last two weeks in August the Average Wind is 15 mph with a historical range of 2 mph to 28 mph. There is a 83% chance of a Windy Day meaning a day with average wind over 10 mph.

otto Jun 18th, 2010 02:52 AM

it is very, very, very windy in aruba. but no, the sand does not blow around somehow at all. if you're like me, just wear a tight fitting hat. mine blew off out of our jeep we rented! aruba is fabulous, ideal for a family. enjoy it.

burry Jun 18th, 2010 01:17 PM

We went to the Marriott in Aruba a few years ago -- in March, though. The wind was lovely, nothing significant so, at that time, it was more gentle breezes.

dlundgren Jun 18th, 2010 03:56 PM

It's windy alright, but especially in August you're grateful for it, because you might just burst into flames without it! Aruba in August is a teeny bit hot and a wee bit humid... the wind, which swirls around more than blows in any specific direction, is welcome most of the time. Just not a place for long hair or high maintenance haircuts!

Weadles Jun 18th, 2010 07:26 PM

I don't know why, but some parts of Palm Beach are much windier than others. We've found that the beach in front of The Westin is significantly windier than the beach in front of The Hyatt or The Radisson, and yes, the sand does- at times- blow right into your face/eyes.

KVR Jun 19th, 2010 06:05 AM

Aruba has a constant trade wind. We didn't find it excessive or annoying. We went in a September and without the wind we would have burned up. Same for Curacao. We went in a May and the wind is there just to keep things cool, like a nice strong breeze.

The Westin's beach reportly gets more wind because it juts out from the building more than the Hyatt and the Radission. Therefore, their beach doesn't have much of a wind break.

The wind is Aruba is definatley not a reason to not book a vacation there. It's really a non-issue.

Weadles Jun 19th, 2010 02:35 PM

I agree with KVR. The wind in Aruba stops you from burning up the way you might in Jamaica, or one of the less windy islands. Aruba's a good choice, especially for a first-timer to the Caribbean. Have a good time!