Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Aruba Honeymoon Help (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/aruba-honeymoon-help-104980/)

Brian Feb 8th, 2001 05:35 PM

Aruba Honeymoon Help

Hello, <BR> <BR>Just looking for info. on Aruba for a September honeymoon. Getting married in Chicago. What will fares be like? Which airline is the best to get there..fewer stops? Places to eat, things to do. Places to stay, would you recommend a rental, timeshare or resort? Any help would be appreciated. <BR> <BR>Brian

EllenG Feb 9th, 2001 04:14 AM

You will love Aruba (we too honeymooned there). If you want to be where the action is and the ability to walk to different hotels then Palm Beach area is ideal. We stayed at the Radisson but the Marriott and Hyatt were also great for honeymoons (Marriott had more privacy as it was set off from the other hotels). I also liked the Wyndham and we are considering that for a return visit (this hotel is very nice but not as expensive as Radisson). Our package came with a buffet breakfast everyday and there were tons of wonderful restaurants to choose from in the evening (Flying Fishbones we had private table on beach and watched the sun set as we sipped champagne). As for air, we got a very good rate because we bought a package and the air was included. We used Travel Center at www.travelunlimited.com or 1-800-228-1502. Had seen people recommend them numerous times on this and other bb's and now we also are shouting praises for their service and rates. Best wishes for a long and happy life together.

ellen Feb 9th, 2001 05:27 AM

Don't forget to buy her a wedding gift there--Shiva's downtown has great prices on jewelery and loose stones, and they'll bargain with ya! Dinner @ sunset on the patio of Tierra del whatever (sol?) near the light house is very romantic--Chez Mathilde in Orangestadt is also chi-chi, if you like French food and want to get dressed up...Best Wishes for a Happy Life! PS air from Cho. (my old home-town!) will be about 700.00 each. Try not to change planes in Miami--it's a nightmare. Go for Puerto Rico or Atlanta...

Sandy Feb 9th, 2001 06:11 AM

You will love Aruba. My husband and I went there on our 1st Wedding Anniversary. We stayed at the Hyatt and our travel agent upgraded us to the premium top floor, Regency Club. This included continental breakfast, cookies and juice in afternoon and wine, beer and total "smorg" spead before dinner. We would take back a bottle of champagne and snacks and never make it out of our rooms! Staff were wonderful!! The more you tip, the more you get! The beach was calm and relaxing, rent a floatie from the choclate man. Night life was great. El Gaucho was my favorite for Argintinian steaks! You will love it. Good luck. Fly United.

Susan Feb 9th, 2001 06:43 AM

Congrats, Brain! Aruba is a great place for a honeymoon! In choosing your hotel Hyatt IMO is far superior to Marriott. <BR>Marriott used to be 5 star but it has slipped, is a little long in the tooth <BR>these days & crying out for refurbished rooms. We stayed there last Fall & what <BR>a disappointent. 2 years ago we stayed @ Marriott & it was great but it has gone downhill since then. The rooms had a foul, <BR>musty odor, the beds were crappy, the <BR>linens badly in need of replacement & <BR>updating. The elevators were dsyfuncional throughout the week, the food was really bad, the staff from <BR>top to bottom had a 'who cares?' attitude! So, the Hyatt wld. be a better choice. I have also heard good things about the Radisson lately. You may also want to consider that one. It has recently been renovated. Hope this helps & that you have a great time in Aruba! <BR> <BR>