Aruba, Grand Cayman or PR...too many choices!

Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aruba, Grand Cayman or PR...too many choices!

My best friend and I are planning a 5 night trip at the beginning of June to somewhere in the Caribbean. We are both 26 years old. After doing a lot of research both on this forum and Tripadvisor, I've narrowed it down to 3 islands and a few hotels on each island:

Puerto Rico: Either Intercontinental or Ritz Carlton in San Juan

Grand Cayman: Westin, Ritz Carlton or Grand Cayman Beach Suites

Aruba: Radisson, Hyatt or Marriot Stellaris

I know that including the Ritz hotels is probably a stretch, but considering they are not much more expensive than the other resorts (actually LESS expensive than Grand Cayman Beach Suites), are they worth it? Is it mostly an older crowd at these resorts?

What we are looking for is a clean, well maintained resort directly on a great stretch of beach and restaurants and bars within walking distance (we are not going to rent a car). We aren't looking for a spring break type of atmosphere, but a little bit of night life/beach bars would be great. We'd also prefer a beach that is not going to packed with people, which is what I have read about some hotels. I hope this won't be the case anywhere since we are going at the beginning of June before schools let out.

Any thoughts on these places? Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Also, just came across Lacovia and Silver Sands on Grand Cayman...both are condos.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 04:43 PM
EJC

Westin is right on a great stretch of 7Mile Beach and it is a very nice resort. It has everything you're looking 4.
If you're looking into condos, try Great House, Plantana, or Avalon. All 3 are near Westin.
Lacovia and Silver Sands,IMO are too far away from restaurants and activity.
ps.. Westin has a large age range......kids to elderly.

I like Aruba, but you can't beat 7MB in GC. Both islands are very safe.The Natalee Holloway murder is a very,very rare crime for Aruba.
I have nothing against Puerto Rico, but given what you're looking 4; I must recommend GC or Aruba.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:02 PM

Ritz Grand Caymon is among the best in the islands and has one of the TOP spas.

Grand Caymon Beach Suites is nice, but not as nice as the Ritz, but almost $150 less per night for June 5 to 8. (hotels.com)

There is a Westin hotel on Seven Mile Beach for less than 300 (orbitz and cheaptickets).

Aruba has never failed to be a great time.

You would probably have more fun in Aruba or GC than PR.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 03:57 AM
KVR

Since your wanting a beach that is uncrowded, the hotels you picked for Aruba will not be a good choice. Palm Beach is very popular and lined with many highrise hotels, so in essence the beach is more crowded there. However, across the street from the hotels are numerous restuarants, bars and shopping. And, the beach side of Palm Beach also has several beach bars and restaurants. What I've learned over the years is, you can't have uncrowded with lots of things within walking distance.

Have you looked at any of the hotels on Eagle Beach? Look at the Tam, Divi, Amsterdam Manor, Bucuti and Manchebo. Eagle Beach will be less crowded, the hotels all not high rises and set pretty far apart from each other. There are a few restuarants/bars, the bus system runs very effectively and is inexpensive.

7 Mile Beach on Grand Cayman is very nice. Not too many restaurants though within walking distance of hotels/condos. Most people rent a car there just so they can see all of the Island and visit many of the off shore snorkel sites. To get to Georgetown you will either need a car or can use the van/bus system. We stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott and there was a bus stand right out front.

Aruba has lots of really great restuarants in all price ranges that are easy to get to. There is also plenty of nightlife to keep you busy if your looking for that. Grand Cayman is a bit more relaxed. The food/drinks prices there will be higher than Aruba. Many people rent conods in Grand Cayman with kitchenettes to keep the cost of food/drinks down. Grand Cayman is more of a destination to relax, dive and snorkel.

I've been to Puerto Rico once on a cruise and once through the airport going somewhere else. I don't think that's a destiantion you're looking for based on what you have stated.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 10:19 AM

I think Grand Cayman may be more rewarding for you, especially since you are not wanting a spring break type of environment. If you can do the Ritz, do it. I would never stay at the Westin again, however.

There are different activities you can put on your itinerary. For instance, we did the SEAmobile submarine when we were there. The boat picks you up at your 7MB location and the pilot narrates.

There are restaurants and bars within walking distance. We never rented a car, although we did use the bus a couple of times and rented a taxi once only because we wanted to go places further out.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 01:41 PM

I love Grand Cayman and am returning this June. We've stayed at the Westin, Hyatt, and Aqua Bay condos in the past.
Beach is best at the Westin and Plantana. We're staying at both this trip. Using 1,000 Starwood Preferred Guest points to get a rate of 50% off rack at the Westin, which is $174/night for a garden view!! Usually, they upgrade us to an ocean view, so am not booking that rate unless I have to. Plantana is $395 per night for oceanfront and they have a "Stay 5, Pay for 4" special during the summer. That would be great for your 5 night trip! Check out their site and also reviews on TripAdvisor. Cayman is clean, safe and gorgeous! Be aware that the CI $1=US$1.25, so it is expensive--but worth it! Did I tell you the food is to die for in Cayman!? Calypso Grill is my favorite! Look at Caymangoodtaste.com
Also, I was just looking at the Ritz today and they have a $299/night rate for June 8-10! Other night are far more.
Summer
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Hi Everyone, thank you for all of your replies!

So what I'm gathering is that I should cross San Juan off of my list? It seems things aren't as centrally located as on GC or Aruba.

Knowing...is there a particular reason why you wouldn't stay at the Westin again?

As for hotels, I think I am going to cross the Ritz off my list. Even though it's only a little more money than the other resorts when you book on Expedia, I'm sure the expenses of eating, sightseeing, etc. are going to add up faster than I think, especially in Grand Cayman.

I looked at some of the condos including Plantana, but considering I don't really cook at home, I doubt I'd take advantage of the kitchen on vacation. Also, we'd need to get a two-bedroom place which would be more money...the one-bedroom condos all seem to be one queen bed, and I'm not really looking to share a bed on vacation!

I assumed that even if we went to a larger resort, i.e. the Radisson or Hyatt in Aruba, the beach shouldn't be TOO crowded since it's the off season, and prior to kids getting out of school...am I wrong in assuming this? Has anyone stayed at the Radisson, Hyatt or Marriott?

Thanks again...

Old Feb 25th, 2008, 05:46 AM

First of all, I want to start out by saying we did like GC - especially it's restaurants. However,the problem with the Westin was that it is a huge convention hotel. They closed down the pool area three times during the week that we stayed there so they could prepare for parties that night. They did this at about 2-3 pm. The idea is this: That left us without any seating. We wanted to slow down and spend the afternoons by the pool with plenty of time for swimming. We were allowed to still swim, but it's a little hard to do so when you are hanging on to your things. There was also not a lot of shade and my husband and I are blonde/blue eyes.
Additionally, it wasn't too thrilling to have our room so full of mold that I had an asthma attack and begged the front desk to move us. They said we had to wait until a room opened up. My husband who has no allergies even had difficulty in the room. The next morning, I talked to the General Manager who gave us the same story. We told him that we didn't care what kind of room we were in, just please move us or find a different hotel. Guess what? All of a sudden there was a room available!
We have also stayed at the Radisson in Aruba. I would choose the Hyatt or Marriott if you are thinking about Aruba. The Hyatt was recently remodeled, and its by far the nicest hotel on the island. The buffet at breakfast is excellent.
There are several restaurants right across the street from the hotel that you could walk to for dinner.
The Marriott is a luxury hotel. It has large rooms with wonderful ocean views from every balcony. It also has a free-form pool with waterfalls and swim-up bar.
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 02:35 PM

Knowing~~Sorry to hear that they closed down the pool. There weren't conventions there when we were there, so never even thought of that. When were you there? Was it soon after Ivan? I know there was a big mold problem in a lot of places then, but thought it was gone by now.
Summer
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Hi Everyone, thanks for all of your help! I think I'm leaning towards the Hyatt, but am going to see if my friend has a preference (I'm the more picky one so she's leaving the researching up to me). This is tough!!
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 03:45 PM

Valerie, there are a lot of cruise ships that dock off GC, so even if schools are still in session, there will be people. (they don't stay overnight, though). RE the condo--we like condos for breakfast and lunch, NOT for cooking dinner! We got cereal and bread and lunch meat and saved a bundle on those two meals (you know you're gonna order fries and a drink and that adds up to a lot every day!!) then we could splurge on the dinner, since GC is so expensive. We stayed on the other side of the island, but we are older and went for the snorkeling exclusively, not the beach scene. The snorkeling is in a word, outstanding, so please plan on doing that because it's great. The turtle farm is interesting if you like turtles. Sting Ray city is a must--we went twice. The first time we were freaked a bit so we wanted to go back the next day and really enjoy it. Get a tour that also goes to one or two snorkeling places. Go early or late because of the cruise ships on the middle tours. I hope you have a great time!
Sally in Seattle