Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Aruba and Bonaire day trip? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/aruba-and-bonaire-day-trip-853548/)

ledhead Aug 7th, 2010 12:42 PM

Aruba and Bonaire day trip?

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to take a day trip to Bonaire for a snorkeling excursion if you are staying on Aruba? Also, do they have Snuba on Aruba or Bonaire? We are going late September and need to book soon. Would appreciate some advice.

KVR Aug 7th, 2010 01:22 PM

There are 3 airlines that go to Bonaire and Curacao from Aruba. DAE, Insel Air and Tiara Air. Flights are usualy every 30 minutes, but check their sites for prices and times.

DePalm on Aruba has snuba excursions. Either on their private island or at the shipwreck Antilla.

ledhead Aug 7th, 2010 05:21 PM

Thanks for the info. Will check it out. By the way, would you happen to know if there are any problems with stray dogs on Aruba?
We originally were thinking of going to French Polynesia, but after hearing horror stories about how these poor dogs roam around starving and homeless with taxis running them over and not blinking an eye, we decided not to patronize a place like that. So we are considering Aruba or St. Martin. I am told St. Martin has a volunteer animal control. Is there a problem with stray dogs on Aruba and if so, do they have organizations that take care of them? Maybe this sounds silly, but we are huge animal lovers and cannot stand to see them suffer. Thanks again!

KVR Aug 8th, 2010 06:39 AM

I don't think so. When we went a few years ago, I never did see any. I read a lot on forums and haven't heard of any issues either.

StanKase Aug 8th, 2010 07:03 AM

Snuba in Aruba is no excuse for snorkeling in Bonaire except the cost is far less. Though Bonaire was among the premier snorkel destinations 15-220 years ago it has has had a lot of dead coral from pollution and global warming. The second problem was hurricane Mitch of 10++ years ago damaged a lot of the coral in the depths of 10-15 feet of water whih is idel snorkel depths. But, the good news is the local govennment has really controlled pollution the past 5-6 years and the coral damage from Mitch has begun to refor, so I would opt for a 7AM flight over and only go on a snorkel boat that will make a minimum of 2 one (1) hour snorkel stops if not three stops and return on a 5-6PM flight. It is costly but Aruba is a high energy island so to stay on Bonaire would be a mistake unless you wanted multiple days of snorkeling. But, then I would suggest you go to St.John or elsewhere. We did this once and it worked well but it cost $250/person some years ago for the flight and snorkel trip (9;30-4:00)

OceanBreeze1 Aug 9th, 2010 06:40 PM

Didn't see any any stray dogs on Palm Beach while we were in Aruba in Feb/09. Going back again in Feb/11.

Dorgal Aug 25th, 2010 08:06 PM

There are stray dogs in Aruba.....many of them live out on the remote end of the island near the gold ruins. Be cautious getting out of your car there. Some people bring dog food cans from the store and feed some of them. We have also seen stray dogs downtown near some of the restauarnts (El Gaucho mostly) - they know people are coming out with "doggie bags" full of meat. Leave your leftovers there! I have also met a few while walking along Eagle Beach in the early morning - but they didn't bother me. For the most part they are docile and just hungry and weak. They have never really approached me. There ARE organizations on the island that try to help but it is difficult.
The island has also felt the impact of the bad economy. Having traveled extensively - it is not uncommon to see these types of dogs and cats roaming around in places where people have trouble even feeding their families much less pets.