Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   aruba (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/aruba-190151/)

sara Jan 23rd, 2003 05:51 AM

aruba

My honeymoon is now booked for May at the Wyndham--has anyone heard anything about the property-good or bad? Thanks for your help!

Kristen Jan 23rd, 2003 06:17 AM

Radisson and Hyatt are the best, but I have heard that the Wyndham is ok. Major downfall is that the public beach is adjacent to Wyndham's so the beach may be overrun with kids at times. But overall Aruba is great...beautiful beaches, turquoise water and great weather.<BR><BR>Enjoy!

Turtle Jan 23rd, 2003 06:33 AM

Congratulations! Some very fine things have been said about the Aruba Wyndham in past posts here. Try doing a Search (just type in Wyndham Aruba). One thing that really impressed me was that someone said you cld. fax Wyndham a list of &quot;special requests&quot; prior to your arrival. So check it out &amp; see what you think! If the close proximity to the public beach is going to bother you then you may want to consider switching to Hyatt or Radisson. Both are good choices but IMHO stay away from the Marriott. We were really disappointed in the Aruba Marriott ( not the timeshares but the hotel....needs a major facelift!)

Sharon Jan 23rd, 2003 12:44 PM

We returned from staying at the Wyndham this past December. It's true that there were some local children swimming off to the left of the property some mornings but it was no big deal.<BR>The suites are huge--this was the largest suite we have ever stayed in and the view from the 14th floor was fantastic. <BR>You can reserve a hut for the day on the beach--sign up early. The beach was very nice but could be windy at times--I had to hold up my magazine to cover my face a few times.<BR>The restaurants are excellent--Cafe Baci for italian, Pago Pago for steaks and fish some exotic dishes, Blossoms for Chinese/Japanese and others.<BR>We walked to several very good restaurants from the Wyndham so the location is good. You could also drive or take a taxi but the walk feels good. You might want to try Fishes &amp; More--the prices are decent and the cuisine was great. Four dutch chefs opened up this restaurant in October of last year. It is located across from the Radisson.<BR>The big plus for us was the staff at the Wyndham --they are very friendly and helpful.

Toni Jan 24th, 2003 05:39 AM

Sara, <BR>Check out the aruba bulletin board (aruba-bb.com). It has tons of information about Aruba and has many old and new trip reports about the Wyndham. <BR>Enjoy!<BR>toni<BR>

travel3773 Feb 2nd, 2003 04:35 PM

We really enjoyed our stay at the Wyndham...it was one of the highlights of the trip. Room was very nice and you will be well taken care of by the staff at the pool area. Only negative was the food at the hotel...did not enjoy the dinner we had there the one night.

Vacationer Feb 14th, 2003 07:28 AM

We honeymooned at the Wyndham in March 2001. We had an excellent time. I highly recommend the hotel. Everything was well-taken care of--the rooms were large and clean and the staff was very friendly. You will have a blast! Congratulations!

Dorgal Feb 14th, 2003 03:19 PM

We have not stayed at the Wyndham but we have eaten at Baci and Pago Pago many times and we really enjoy both of them. They also have a nice barbeque night outside one night with entertainment. The &quot;public&quot; beach area is no worry - there are actually MORE crowds at the Hyatt and larger places like LaCabana than at the &quot;public&quot; beaches. When you get to Aruba - you will see that the whole island is covered with public beaches so there are no real crowds at any one. There's PLENTY of beach to go around!! Also - after 12 trips to Aruba - -I can honestly say that after all the fretting about which hotel and which rooms.....the truth is.....you spend so little time in your room - it hardly matters. You will have a great time and for a wonderul Belgian dinner (a bit pricey) try having dinner at LeDome (near the hospital). It is our favorite stop in Aruba. Enjoy!

cgcs Feb 23rd, 2003 03:32 PM

We stayed at the Hyatt but took beach walks every day and went down to the Wyndham and knew I would never stay there, at that time (summer) the beach area was packed with locals and the area just doesn't have the ambience that the Hyatt or Radisson have.

Carola22 Feb 23rd, 2003 10:59 PM

Second the recommendation of Le Dome - best food I had in Aruba, and almost the best food I ever had anywhere. Great wines, too!