Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Are there any secluded resorts in the Bahamas? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/are-there-any-secluded-resorts-in-the-bahamas-797389/)

marnie1 Jul 24th, 2009 03:25 PM

Are there any secluded resorts in the Bahamas?

I am taking a trip in August to Florida and wanted to spend a couple of days somewhere in the Bahamas since it is so close. I have never been and am clueless where to start. I am looking for small quiet secluded beachfront resorts that aren’t shoulder to shoulder with others and where I don’t have to fight for a spot on the beach. Something more private with a nice beach for snorkeling. I'm just want someplace to lay on a hammock, read a book, dip my toes in the water, have someone cook for me, and get in some R&R with my hubby. Does such a place exist? Thanks!

blamona Jul 24th, 2009 03:40 PM

Pineapplefields in Eluethera
Any in Harbour Island
Any in Andros Island
Cape Santa Maria Long Island
Any in Abacos
Compass Point next to Nassau

ishkribbl Jul 24th, 2009 05:26 PM

You might want to look into the Hopetown Harbour Lodge on Elbow Cay in the Abacos, Dolphin Beach Resort on Great Guana Cay in the Abacos, the Abaco Inn on Elbow (but not so sure about snorkeling on the beach right there but close by) or maybe the Green Turtle Club on Green Turtle Cay in the Abacos. Personally, I would not go to Harbour Island for snorkeling but Blamona has good suggestions on other places- the beaches are nice and the atmosphere is quiet and low key and peaceful in all of the places she mentions- never been to Andros but been to all the others.

travelbuff Jul 25th, 2009 08:21 AM

YOu might try these websites:

www.runawayhill.com (my favorite and JUST what you are looking for)
www.myharbourisland.com
www.thelanding.com
www.rockhousebahamas.com
www.eleu.net
www.coconuttelegraph.com (the Abacos)

Runaway Hill is a small boutique hotel owned by Wayne Gretsky and was completely redone a year ago. It is RIGHT on the water with a lovely pool, deck and steps to the beach. Great restaurant onsite for breakfast and dinner. There are some lovely restaurants onisland and even an internet cafe.

I usually go to Arthur's Cafe for breakfast and to buy some coconut bread, that and a couple of diet cokes and I am set for the day.

Let me know if you have any questions about Harbour Island, happy to help.

kellybeaches Jul 25th, 2009 08:48 AM

There are lots of islands in the Bahamas. Since you are just going for a couple days, I would start by looking into which islands you can fly direct to from where ever you'll be in FL. For example, Cape Santa Maria in Long Island is gorgeous and would suit your needs, but you would have to go through Great Exuma to get there, and I'm not sure if it's worth the connecting flight for such a short stay. Which city will you be leaving from in FL?

marnie1 Jul 25th, 2009 11:43 AM

Kellybeaches I will be in Orlando. Great suggestion!

Some of these places look great!Thanks and keep them coming if you've got more!

kellybeaches Jul 25th, 2009 12:55 PM

Hm. I did a quick search on BahamasAir, American, and CapeAir but didn't see any direct flights for you to the out islands from Orlando. I know Miami and Ft. Lauderdale are big hubs for flying to various out islands. You could fly to Nassau, New Providence and then take the fast ferry to Eleuthera and then ferry to Harbor Island, or fly to Nassau and then from there you can pretty much fly anywhere in the Bahamas. Again, you'll have a connecting flight. Maybe consider staying on New Providence since it's such a quick flight? I heard the One and Only is nice. I've been to Compass Point, which is very cute, but doesn't have hammocks or a large beach. Or maybe someone else on this forum knows more about direct flights from Orlando to the out islands? I think the out islands would have more of the type of place you're looking for. Or you might even consider going further south -turks and caicos, St. Thomas, etc-somewhere that is direct. By the time you get done making your transfers to get to an out island, it might be quicker (and cheaper) to do a different island. Another thought is to do an island off of FL-like Sanibel or Captiva island or something along those lines http://www.sanibelisland.com/maps.html.
Good luck in your search!

kellybeaches Jul 25th, 2009 01:17 PM

me again :) I did a little more research and think I may have found a place for you. Bahama Beach Club on Treasure Cay, Abaco. We were thinking of staying here and I've had this link saved for awhile now. BahamasAir flies direct from Orlando to Treasure Cay, but it will depend on your dates of travel as to whether or not it's a "non-stop" flight day.
http://www.bahamabeachclub.com/pages/here.htm

This resort has individual units and looks like you'll have the nice white sand beach, clear blue water, and privacy as well. Check it out: http://www.bahamabeachclub.com/pages/resort.htm.

And as always, I check the candid pictures and reviews on tripadvisor before going anywhere:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...s_Bahamas.html

blamona Jul 25th, 2009 05:18 PM

Continental flies to some Out Islands, from Orlando, makes a stop at Ft. Lauderdale, but you don't get off the plane.

I've flown them to Eluethera and to the Abacos.

I've been through Bahama Beach Club, it's nice. You can rent a golf cart and get around Treasure Cay, the marina, and the restaurants at Treasure Cay Resort. At the marina, you can find a boat to take you to Elbow Cay, Great Guana Cay ( do not miss Nippers pig roast Sundays) and rent a car to the dock for the ferry to Turtle Cay. You can also drive (about 40 minutes!) to Marsh Town.

Really for a first Out Island experience, and to get what you seem to be asking for, I really recommend Harbour Island. Gorgeous pink sand beach, small quant town, rent a golf cart to get around, chic, excellent restaurants, and possible celebrity sightings or model shoots. The resorts are quant, the town has New England clapboard houses with pastel colored shutters, white fences draped in bougainvillas. The beach always seems to rank in top beaches of the world, makes everyone's lists.

mnag Jul 25th, 2009 07:55 PM

Cape santa maria, LI based on your criteria. The beach is one of the best in the bahamas and the caribbean. Check out traveller pictures on trip advisor.

kellybeaches Jul 26th, 2009 08:21 AM

girlbat17, thanks for much for the tip! The villas on this site look amazing-I haven't seen this site before, and we always rent villas when we travel. I'll have to keep it in our files :)

marnie1 Jul 26th, 2009 11:02 AM

Thanks for all of your replys! I don't really want to rent a private villa but would prefer a resort. I am starting to narrow it down. Cape Santa Maria, Andros Island,
and Harbor Island seem perfect and have some great resorts but my head is still spinning.

ishkribbl~You said you wouldn't snorkel on HI. Why is that?

ishkribbl Jul 26th, 2009 12:25 PM

Marnie,
Hi- sorry for the confusion. What I meant is that if you are looking for off the beach or walk-in type snorkeling, I do not think you will find much of that in HI- or at least we did not but we were only there twice (1st time for a week and second time only a day visit). We did go on a couple of decent snorkel trips on a charter boat though. The beach is very pretty. Maybe others have found off the beach snorkeling there that they can tell you about. I think the snorkeling is better elsewhere myself. You have chosen three very different locations! I will be interested to see what you decide. Happy travels!

ishkribbl Jul 26th, 2009 12:28 PM

PS I think Kellybeaches' suggestion of Treasure Cay is a great one! Gorgeous beach and not as much travel time. I think you would like it there.

Fasst1 Jul 26th, 2009 03:47 PM

I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned Old Bahama Bay on Grand Bahama Island. It's got just what you want and is far and away the easiest island, outside New Providence, to get to from Orlando. On the West End of Grand Bahama, it's isolated, has a very nice restaurant, great beach, snorkeling trails reserved for guests, and I think I recall even seeing a hammock there.

Danny

BeachGirl247 Jul 28th, 2009 01:00 PM

**Runaway Hill is a small boutique hotel owned by Wayne Gretsky.

Travelbuff, you mean Mark Messier. I was there when he bought it and got to meet him. I would have preferred having on more than a swimsuit and coverup but, oh well. It was fun meeting him as he and Gretsky were/are two of my favorite hockey players!

travelbuff Jul 28th, 2009 06:49 PM

Sorry you're so right, just a bit of brain freeze here, lol. (Omage to Ice Hockey). Yes of course it's Mark Messier. I haven't been down since he bought it but I hear they did ALOT of rennovations and even put it a generator and water purification system, so guests would be more comfortable. Power goes out on Harbour Island on a regular basis.

Thanks for the correction, it's appreciated.

cktravelernyc Aug 7th, 2009 04:52 AM

I would definitely recommend checking out some of the private rental homes on the island, or take a look at Sky Beach Club in Eleuthera http://www.skybeachclub.com

It's brand new Resort and offers private units for rent. Other than that, just look for homes for rent on the island, Eleuthera has a lot.