Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Are there any car rental places on St. John that will rent to people under 25??

Sep 6th, 2002, 04:49 AM
under 25

My fiance and I are both 24 and are going on our honeymoon to St. John next month. We'd really like to rent a car for the week we're there, but can't seem to find a place that will rent to anyone under 25 (not even with paying a premium or anything). It's incredibly annoying!!! I mean, we're adults, will have just gotten married, hold great jobs with major corporations, and have a mortgage. Yet, we can't rent a car for a week on our honeymoon!?!?!? AHHHH! Sorry, I'm just really frustruated! Anyone have any suggestions??

Sep 6th, 2002, 05:13 AM
Marti

That does seem unfair! You might want to wait until you get there, then just show up at the rental agency one day, when they see you're responsible adults, and not spring breakers, maybe they'll rent to you.

Sep 6th, 2002, 05:17 AM
jj

Yes. There are place that will rent to you. There is one place next to a fruit stand (across from post office)in Cruz Bay, which will rent to you. Most other places will as well if you really just talk to them a bit. I can't remember the name of that place, but it's pretty comparable to the others and they mostly have jeeps.

Sep 6th, 2002, 05:26 AM
Mary

Under 25,
Don't despair! Budget on St Thomas will rent to drivers age 21-25 for an additional $10 a day. (which isn't really a huge premium) They will allow you to take the car to St John on the car barge.
If it were me I'd prefer to have the car rental taken care of in advance and not worry about whether someone would take pity on my once I arrived. You'll be able to pick the car up at the airport and drive directly to the car ferry. Here is the url to the Budget website that states there policy. Give them a call to verify and then you'll be able to relax.
http://www.budgetstt.com/html/rental_policy.html
I hope this info helps!

Sep 6th, 2002, 06:55 AM
john

we had the same problem, except i was going over there with a group of 5 guys (we were all 23 or 24 at the time). the westin let us do a day-by-day rental with them. where are you staying?

Sep 9th, 2002, 10:44 AM
megC

Don't worry...just reserve and show up...trust me they will rent to you. We went there in June on our HM and I reserved our car from Conrad Sutton Car rental in Cruz Bay..I am 24 not 25...they never asked my age and when we got there never said anything. You'll find a place...don't worry! Have fun..it's a great place to HM!