Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   April trip to Barbados or Cancun (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/april-trip-to-barbados-or-cancun-97332/)

esti Dec 23rd, 2000 05:32 PM

April trip to Barbados or Cancun

My husband and i (along with oue 11 and 8 year old boys ) are planning a vacation. Weve been to Cancun and reallty liked it. There was a big variety or restauranrs ( and prices) and it was easy to grab a sandwich at a deli for the beach or icecream in our hotel room at night. The people were warm ans accomnodating and mostly helpul and fun.. The beaches and snorkeling were decent and we would like to go bak but we wanted to explore a different place. Paradise Island is not one I remember fondly, Ver overpriced and arrogant people. We've booked a trip to Barbados and are wondering if it is as easy going,casual and inexpensive as Cancun? Any ideas? also, do you know of any lively villas in Barbados that are Waterfront? Barbados or Cancun????????

Debs Dec 24th, 2000 12:02 PM

Esti - Barbados will be easygoing, casual but definitely NOT as inexpensive as Cancun. You'll have plenty of places to choose from when dining (the Oistins fish fry will probably be your best 'inexpensive' value), and the island offers lots of things to do. Kids of all ages will enjoy the Barbados Wildlife Reserve in the northern part of the island. The beaches are beautiful-the West coast is very calm and good for swimming, while the South Coast (probably better suited for kids with more activities to keep them occupied) waters can be just a bit rougher, but still swimmable. The East Coast is stunning, however, very isolated and definitely not the place for swimming. Have fun wherever you wind up.

Mitchell Dec 26th, 2000 12:52 AM

<BR>Esti, Barbadians *in the nicer hotels, shops & restaurants* can be quite stuffy because of their British heritage. It may come across as arrogance but know that it is mostly formality. The beach vendors are bothersome at times, being a little *overly friendly*. <BR> <BR>I don't recall any particularly lively villas or resorts, esp where I'd want to take children. Barbados is busy, but fairly sedate at the same time. Unlike Cancun (one long hotel, restaurant strip for tourists), Barbados is a bustling island with pockets of extreme poverty. You will do a lot of driving to get around. There are wonderful historic sites, beautiful vistas, etc. There is also a fair amount of crime. As for prices, food is excellent & varied, but very pricey. Snorkeling is a waste of time. <BR>Since you enjoyed Cun so much, you'd probably like Cayman better than Barbados. Very safe, easy to get around, food is pricey, but there are some budget options. Condos on SMB (where the action is) or villas in Cayman Kai (quieter) have kitchens & grocery stores are modern & well stocked. Some reasonable restaurants if you do a search here you should find recommendations. Or go the the Cayman forum at TravelTalk. Lots of experts there. <BR> <BR>Cayman is definitely a watersports destination. And the boys will love the stingrays. Lots of good places to snorkel, right off the beach or on excursions or sails. <BR> <BR>Cayman is friendly, easy going & laidback, & the water is like crystal, more the aqua green like Cancun. Barbados is bluer. <BR>You've already booked, so I assume you mean air only, since you are inquiring about accomodations. I'd pay the fee & change destinations if I were you.

Esti Dec 26th, 2000 12:18 PM

Mitchell, <BR> Thanks for the info on Cayman, it does sound like a better . Now, I'm considering Cozumel instead of Cancun. Any ideas?

Joanie Dec 28th, 2000 01:20 AM

<BR>Hi Esti, <BR>Cozumel has some wonderful snorkeling excustions & the Chankanaaub park is good for adults & kids alike. The current can be pretty strong --- pay attention & stay together if you snorkel in open water cause you may end up miles from where you entered. Other than the park, we didn't care for Cozumel that much. Would make a good cruise stop or daytrip. <BR> <BR>San Miguel, the main town, is chock full of hawkers peddling the usual Mexican junk, jewelry & a few upscale shops, but the prices didn't look that great to me. Unless there's been drastic changes in the last couple of yrs. there's not a lot for children to do besides the park. <BR>Since you liked Cancun, you might want to look to the south at Playa del Carmen. Close to the Mayan temples, several natural waterparks & a ferry to Cozumel for a day trip to the park. Of course you've already done Mexico & you may have experienced these things, so why not try something different? <BR> <BR>Of your mentions I'd rate this order of preference for vacation w/ 11 & 8 yr old boys: <BR> <BR>1. Grand Cayman (day trip to Little Cayman &/or Cayman Brac) <BR> <BR>Lots of accomodations all over the island to choose from. Lots of places to snorkel. Hell is a big tourist trap, but the boys would enjoy the turtle farm & a visit to snorkel with the stingrays will be something you'll talk about the rest of your life. Recommend Capt Marvin's charter for personal attention. <BR> <BR>2. Barbados (daytrip to the Grenadines if you can swing it) <BR> <BR>There are lots of things kids would enjoy to do & see on Barbados (too many to mention) but the snorkeling is dead. Not at all like the wonderful snorkeling in Cayman. <BR> <BR>Lots of pretty beaches on both, excellent food on Barbados, okay food on Cayman. Much easier to get around on Cayman & the island is clean & modern. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Roberta Jan 28th, 2001 11:33 AM

I was wondering where you stayed at when you went with your children to Cancun??? We have two children same ages but girl and boy and are looking at going this summer. Two places suggested to me is the Crown Princess or the Royal Solaris???? Did you find the kids were entertained enough??? What did you do with them in the evenings??? Me and my husband were there once alone and stayed at the Fiesta Amerciana Grand Coral Beach , beautiful but not appropiate for kids. I would appreciate and suggestions // The other thing i heard was the Beaches resort in Turk/caicos was a good place for kids too???? Thanks!!!