Anyone watch "No Reservations: Jamaica"?

Feb 19th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Anyone watch "No Reservations: Jamaica"?

I've been fascinated with Jamaica since my visit last year and I really enjoyed this show. I don't think I'd have the courage to visit most of the places he visited, but it was really interesting to watch. I was glad to see that he didn't leave out the beef patties!
Feb 19th, 2008, 06:15 PM

No, I didn't catch the episode, but I'm getting a little hungry just thinking about the beef patties. I seldom turn on my television, but if you happen to see that that show is airing again, would you post it here? I'd love to watch it but I otherwise wouldn't know it was on...
Feb 19th, 2008, 06:45 PM

I saw it, back to back. LOL. We always watch No Reservations. I really wanted grilled lobsters and jerk chicken after watching it.

It was definitely a different side of Jamaica.
Feb 20th, 2008, 04:50 AM

http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-sche...=28593&start=0

Here is the link to the shows schedule. The next time the Jamaica episode airs is Feb 23rd at 1:00pm. I think I will check it out too.
Feb 20th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Bourdain mentioned in this show that he can get patties in NYC (although not as good as the original) and I was wondering if patties can be found in other large cities. I'm going to be in London later next month and as there is a significant Caribbean population there I was wondering if anyone knew of a place where patties are sold?
Feb 20th, 2008, 04:53 PM

In Cayman we get "Tastee" patties in the frozen section... 25 minutes at 350f and they are (almost!) as good as you get in JA.

A local secret for visitors to Cayman is to visit the Tortuga Rum factory, they bake fresh patties all day long...hot and fresh, nice

I loved the show and love Bourdain. The scene where he got visibly angry at being made to go into a nasty cave was nearly as good as the classic episode where he ate eggs baked in dirt with the bushmen...ugh, felt for him then !

His visit to JA was certainly far, far from the usual tourist traps, but would have been nice for him to show some more upscale dining, some good things happening with Jamaican cuisine...mostly along the lines of fusion of other cuisines with local Jamaican ingredients.

Norma Shirley has her place at Devon House (and another on the beach in Negril), and the food at Strawberry Hill is pretty great too... and the chef very chatty and great company over an Appleton after dinner by the fireplace up in the mountains.

Was surprised that Bourdain had never tried bammy or festival though... some of life's true "simple pleasures"

Now, if only Tivo would work with cable tv here in Cayman... that channel his show runs on seems to have more ads that content in each hour !

BTW, he just did a great show the week before on the renaissance of traditional british cuisine, including half of the show being in my home town (Edinburgh), with one of my favourite authors (Ian Rankin), and a visit to the truly awesome Kitchin (that IS how they spell it) restaurant....and sacrilege though it is, when I ate there last summer, though the food was great, what I remembered most was the Bramble Mojito. Brambles are blackberries that are exquisite but found only growing wild (and all over the place in August in Scotland)....fantastic fusion cuisine !

Hmm... my stomach just reminded me I haven't eaten tonight... and this post is making me HUNGRY !
Feb 20th, 2008, 05:20 PM

laustic - Where are you located? You can probably find a place that carries Jamaican patties, depending on where you are. Here in the DC area, I could swear I've seen those Tastee patties at Costco! There's also a tropical ice cream shop in Maryland that has yummy flavors and carries patties.

Doug - Ahhh the festivals! Love those! Luckily for us, they serve them at a Jamaican restaurant out here in No.VA.
Feb 20th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

I live in Austin, TX. I'll check Costco. I'm not aware of any Caribbean restaurants here, but I might start looking!
Feb 20th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Oh and the cave scene was awesome. Cracked me up how ticked he was. I would have been miserable!
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:52 AM

Hmm. I have no idea what festival means in a food context.

What network does the No Reservations show come on? I've written myself a reminder to tune in on Saturday. Thanks for posting!
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

It comes on travel channel. It's one of my very favorite travel shows.
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:23 AM

We just interviewed Bourdain on his favorite places in New York if you want to check it out:
http://www.fodors.com/news/story_2939.html
Feb 21st, 2008, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

That's a great interview about NYC. I always appreciate Bourdain's honesty. I enjoyed the London/Edinburgh episode. I'm heading back for my second trip to London and I'm going to try to be more adventurous and open minded to the local cuisine this time. Bourdain has mentioned that he'd like to do a show in Austin (my home town) and I'm so curious where he'll go! I think one of the best things about Austin are the restaurants and I just can't imagine narrowing it down.
Feb 21st, 2008, 02:22 PM

I saw the show...very nice. Really felt like having some Jerk chicken after watching it.

I am in Chicago, and can get beef patties on the north side of he city in the Caribbean/Jamaican areas. Always make sure I stop by for some whenever we go into the area to buy food stuff.
Feb 21st, 2008, 02:52 PM

In London, check the Brixton area south of river with highest concentration of 'UK Blaks'/second-third-fourth generation Jamaicans for pattees.

Festival is sweet fried dough, light and airy fritters if made right.

Bourdain's take on Jamaica was really off-beat and refreshing given
the usual resortcentric reports.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip! I'm not sure if we'll be able to make it that far south this trip (even for patties!) but you never know....

I was thinking of staying in Pimlico for our next visit so I might make it down there next trip.