Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page > Anyone want to critique my Puerto Rico itinerary?
Notices

Anyone want to critique my Puerto Rico itinerary?

Sep 4th, 2014, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Anyone want to critique my Puerto Rico itinerary?

First timers. Will be traveling with a 6 year old. 10 day trip in November. We like hiking and sights but enjoy more of a cultural experience than a tourist one. Love the beach.

I was thinking we would spend days 1-4 exploring San Juan with a day trip to the rainforest. Would like to spend days 5-10 out on the east coast islands but from reading itinerary suggestions most people talk about only spending a day or two there. If we do a couple days beach bumming and a day long snorkel tour, is there enough to do to fill the rest of our time? Any suggestions on which part of Vieques to stay? Can you snorkel from the beach here or only by boat? If by boat, would we be better off staying in Fajardo and just day tripping to Vieques and Culebra?

Feeling a bit overwhelmed with options. Sounds like the beaches are great everywhere! Its important to us to have good swimming areas since DD is a novice.
Sep 8th, 2014, 11:18 AM

You should do rainforest for the day on your way to the east coast - not back and forth from San Juan. Consider spending 2-3 nights in Vieques and flying out of Ceiba instead of taking the ferry. Flights cost about $60/pp/rt. The Malecon House in Esperanza is a small Inn that gets great reviews. Or you could splurge and stay in the brand-new El Blok hotel - also in Esperanza.
Sep 9th, 2014, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Makes sense to do it on the way east. I'm a bit confused about the travel from San Juan to Vieques. Everything I've read says we need a rental car but if that's the case, what do we do with the car while we're on the island? Can I do a one way rental to Cebia and then rent a new car for the return on the last day? Seems like a waste to pay a rental fee for it to sit at the airport.

Is there must to see in Cebia besides just flying out? Could maybe do days 1-3 in SJU, day 3 rainforest and overnight in Cebia so we aren't rushed from our hiking and then catch an early flight to Vieques for days 4-10. Flight on day 10 isn't until 4 p.m. so I assume we could get back to the airport same day and not need to travel the day before our departure.

Search this Thread