Is St.Martin Airport Safe???

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Carolyn

Is St.Martin Airport Safe???

I will be travelling to Anguilla in a few months. I have a choice of flying direct to SXM and taking ferry or flying to SanJuan and connecting to Anguilla. I was hoping to fly directly to st Martin but if the airport is no longer safe I will go to plan B. Anyone know????Thanks

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 06:12 PM
Kristin

Safe in what respect?

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 06:16 PM
paul

SXM is safe. It's a high traffic airport and at least as safe as San Juan's!

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 05:37 AM
C

St. Maarten airport is safe, don't worry. you didn't ask about the following, but I thought I'd put it in anyway, it may help you decide what route you prefer.
Bear in mind that if you get seasick a ferry ride might not be advisable as altho' the rides are 99% of the time calm, you will be getting on a boat tired after a day of flying! A taxi from the airport to Marigot ferry terminal will cost around US$15 depending on # of persons and bags. The ride is about 20 minutes. Once at the ferry terminal you will find a clipboard at the counter where you add your name to the list of passengers. Name, passport #, date of birth and where you'll be staying. Pay US$2 departure tax there to the lady behind the counter. Once on the ferry you pay the fare, US$10 per adult/5 per child. upon arrival in Anguilla you will go through immigration and find taxis waiting outside to take you to your hotel.
Another option is to have a private charter meet you at the airport, the laggon is across the street. They cost around US$250 per ride. I know, expensive, but it's very popular with the Cap Juluca/Malliouhana/Cuisinart crowd.
The American Eagle flight from San Juan to Anguilla is fine, it costs around $195 per person and is about an hour long. They are viligant about security checks though, so pack accordingly. I have found the less packed in my carry on the better as it takes less time to look through it! I'm not complaining about the checks, rather that than the alternative!
Hope this helps.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 05:57 AM
John

I am familiar with all 3 airports (SJU, SXM, AXA).
The easiest way, I think, is to connect on American Eagle in San Juan. If you have enough time, both ways. The Eagle flight is comfortable and your bags are checked all the way to Anguilla where someone will meet you (or a cab) to take you to final destination.
The disadvantage is having to connect in SJU coming back. This can be difficult, unless you allow at least 1.5 hrs to connect.
Going direct to SXM works too. The disadvantage is having to schlepp to the ferry with bags, etc. (Cab ride). The ferry is short enough and calm enough (seasickness generally not an issue). The ferry is dependable, every 30 min or so but does not run at night.
The real issue with SXM is not safety but the hassle of coming back. It can be a real zoo, depending what time of day and what airline. (long lines, hot, etc.)
As I said, I don't think "safety" is and issue at the airport or on your cab ride to ferry dock in St Martin.
Take your pick...

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Marla

We were in St. Maarten last year no problem. You can fly into SXM and probably take a WindWard (WinAir) Air flight or take the American Eagle from San Juan.