Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Any Windjammer Landing/St Lucia experts out there?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, A few questions - does anyone have a number of a 2 br suite at Windjammer Landing to request that would be central to beac, pool and restaurants and be in a quiet location? Has anyone ever complained of sulphur smell on St Lucia? Anyone taken Shals Jungle Tour and last but not least does anyone have the name of a taxi driver/private driver that would provide transport from the airport to the resort. The resort is quoting $90. each person each way which seems a bit steep! Thanks for all your help!
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 01:50 PM

Flycatcher, can I threadjack since we are not getting an answer on our other thread re: meal plans? Anybody have an opinion on whether they make sense at Windjammer Landing? Flycatcher asked earlier if you can do AI day-by-day in order to go to restaurants in town. On TripAdvisor, some folks recommend since the restaurants are $$, but here folks say not. Any thoughts most welcome.

Also, I will restate my question re: snakes; I know, silly to some, but I would rather not see one. Are they only in the rainforest; did you ever see one at Windjammer Landing?

Thanks for the indulgence flycatcher and thanks to all who can answer our questions,

Mary
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 02:44 PM

Let me give this a try... We were there three years ago. Unfortunately, I don't remember any suite numbers. We actually were in two different suites. When we arrived, they put us in a one bedroom with a pull out couch (because our two bedroom was not avaialable as promised). It was near the pool by the 'spa' and was very nice - but not what we ordered. The second suite was about half way up the hill. The suite was on three floors. The top was the balcony, the second floor had the master suite and the lower level was the second bedroom. (Our kids loved that!) There was a fair amount of walking involved in the entire place. You could call for a ride if you were willing to wait for them. This was a free service. There was always a ride back to your room from the main pool and beach area (which is where the restaurants are). I don't remember any rooms near the beach. I think there were condos (a part of Windjammer) that were on the beach - but no rooms for those just renting a room. I don't remember a sulfur smell at all except down south near the volcano area. Hope this helps.
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 04:18 AM

lllaros--did you do a meal plan?

thanks again,

Mary
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 08:50 AM

We were there in 2004. We did not take the AI plan. I think it would have been $2,000 more (family of three and we stayed 9 days). The total for the time we spent there not using the AI was $1100 (for alcoholic beverages and three meals per day). I also can't recall any villa #s. However, we stayed in a villa next to Papa Don's restaurant. It was quiet here (even during the evening when the restaurant was in full swing). There is a pool on this level as well which was very quiet during the day. There is a shuttle that will bring you down to the main area. Never had to wait more than 5 minutes. Never encountered any snakes while there, either. It is truly a lovely place.

Hope this helps!
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 09:04 AM

thanks squiggy on both counts; your meal experience is particularly helpful and thanks on the you-know-whats--I'll stop worrying about that

did you go into "town" for dinner? I've never been (obviously) so the question is out of total ignorance.

Mary
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 09:29 AM

Hi, Mary. We went into Castries one night for dinner at the Coal Pot which I highly recommend. Another evening we went into Rodney Bay and had dinner at The Buzz, which I also recommend. If I recall correctly the cab into town was about $16 each way. You can split the cab with others going into town. If you are interested in a tour, the tour desk at Windjammer offers an all day jeep safari to Souffiere (sp?) and catamaran back to the resort. It was pricey but well worth it.

Squiggy
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 09:45 AM

thank you!
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 10:24 AM

sorry, the questions keep coming; anyone know the difference between a one BR villa and a two BR suite (we are going with our 6-year old) so while it is nice to have a separate bedroom for her, she can also sleep on a pullout coach; it looks like the one BR villa has more hanging-out places than the suite (if that makes sense).

Thanks again,

Mary
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 07:08 AM

Hi Mary,
Just saw this post and have been to Windjammer twice in the last year. Your other questions have been answered but I can tell you the difference between the villa and suite is the living space. We stayed in a one bedroom villa our first visit (for some lucky reason we were upgraded to this)and it was wonderful with its own dining/living area, bathroom kitchen and patio with plunge pool and separate bedroom with ensuite. It would suit someone who wanted to do self catering and could actually accommodate four if you used the pull out couch. Our second visit was with our two children (19 and 21) and, as we were not going to be doing the cooking, opted for a two bedroom suite which was, as Illaros stated, on three levels and had plenty of hanging out space. We opted to do the meal plan both times but if you do, take advantage of eating at Dragonfly which is the most expensive restaurant on site and has wonderful food. One option you have is to take the meal plan for three days at a time (they don't make this well known). We did three days, took one day off and ate off-site (Coalpot-truly great)and then another three days. The meal plan also includes unlimited use of motorized watersports so if you are keen on wakeboarding/waterskiiing that might be a consideration. I don't remember any suite numbers but the first visit we were high up on the property and the second visit we were near the front gate which was a bit noisy with vehicles coming and going but nothing serious. There is a map on their website that gives you an idea of the layout. Hope this helps a bit. Enjoy your stay - we found it to be a great place, and didn't see one snake!
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 07:46 AM

Sorry, I should have addressed my previous post to flycatcher06 AND Mary. Let us know how you make out!
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

hi can anyone tell me if we have the MAP meal plan will we be eligible for waterskiing?
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 10:47 AM

starfish--thanks for the great info. on the meal plans--the three days sounds like a great way to go.
And your description of the villa/suites was exactly what I was looking for--thanks again

Mary
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 11:00 AM

flycatcher06, I would think so but you better check with the hotel directly on this one. I didn't even know they had MAP - thought it was all or nothing. Let us know when you find out.
Mary, you are most welcome!
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

can anyone tell me is there any limit as to how many times you can dine at dragonfly when you have the meal plan?

Thanks for all the info
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 01:20 PM

We weren't aware of any limit on how many times you can eat there - we ate there three nights but you will want to try the other restaurants for a change of pace.