Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated... (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/any-suggestions-will-be-greatly-appreciated-760232/)

Sbritt106 Jan 8th, 2009 06:14 AM

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated...

So, I have been searching and searching for a vacation for my husband and I in June. There are just so many options and I'm finding it so hard to narrow down a particular island. I'm also trying to figure out if it's better to go all-inclusive or stay in a nice budget hotel and pay for meals/drinks outside of the hotel. I would like to stay within a budget of under $2000 total for 2 adults/5-7 nights this including flight and accomodations. Beautiful swim-friendly beaches are a must. As well as friendly local people and delicious food. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated...
Thanks

virginia Jan 8th, 2009 06:37 AM

as you have such a strict budget i would advise all inlcusive. that way you know for sure what your required expenses are before you leave home. especially if you plan to enjoy a few cocktails each day. (drinks can run $6-12 each) also most ai's have things like kayaks, snorkel gear, small sailboats, etc for your free use, otherwise you'd have to rent.
where you are flying from makes a big difference in price to particular islands. then you'll know how much you have left to spend per night on lodging.
generally speaking the ai's on dominican republic and in mexico (coast south of cancun) are the least expensive.
can you tell us what you'd like to do with your days (beach sittin or more active) and evenings (quiet dinner or clubbing).
also some islands are coral - arid, flatter, good snokeling or volcanic - lush hilly. which appeals to you more?

cdw Jan 8th, 2009 10:38 AM

I think your best bet is to go to Playa del Carmen and stay in one of the small boutique type hotels. Look on Trip Advisor. Playa del Carmen has wonderful and cheap food and drink. You can also save by taking a soft sided cooler and pack a picnic to the beach.

Another cheap but fun vacation is Negril's Seven Mile Beach. Coco LaPalm and Rondel Village are both good budget hotels. We have stayed in everything from villas to the Ritz-Carlton and one of our kid's favorite vacations was to CocCo LaPalm in Negril. Breakfast is incl. at Coco and the rooms have a small frigd so you can go to a store and stock up on snacks and drinks. The jerk shack across the street is not to be missed.

Sbritt106 Jan 8th, 2009 11:27 AM

Thanks so much for the info. As far as activities are concerned it really doesn't matter to much. I just want an area that has nice beaches that are swimmable (not rocky). We may do one or two excursions possibly depending on the time we have there and the costs involved. Nightlife is not too important, if the area has it then great.. if not it won't make or break it for me!

MYSTREYLADY Jan 8th, 2009 01:31 PM

go all inclusive this way you have the price up front and all your drinks and meals will be covered some resorts even have an excursion included with your stay. I would say try Riviera Maya Mexico it is very nice and also try Dominican Republic (Punta Cana) They have some good deals. good luck and enjoy your vacation