Reload this Page >

Any suggestions for Jamaica Vacation???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2000, 01:03 AM
Dan

Our family (kids 11 & 12 yrs. old) are considering Jamaica the first week of August. Is Montego Bay area a nice place to take the family, or could we do better ?

Old Feb 23rd, 2000, 07:56 AM
PG

hi Dan, I have not been to M0bay, but have friends who have, and they HATED it! Too crowded, noisy from airport, crime, drug peddling, etc. They were constantly approached by people trying to sell them pot. I have heard this from more than one person. Not a place for kids at all. you may want to consider an all inclusive at another part of the island, which is safer. <BR>

Old Feb 23rd, 2000, 12:12 PM
Kim

I agree MB is quite crowded,Beaches in Negril is a very nice resort. It is owned by Sandals and it is an all-inclusive. The food is great and the beach is miles long. A very nice resort for kids. And as far as drugs go we did get approched on the beach but NO!!! is all you have to say and they leave you alone. And as far as crime you can get mugged anywhere even on your own street, just go there with some little common sense and you will be there fine. Have been there a few times and plan to return there next Feb Again.

Old Feb 23rd, 2000, 12:42 PM
Dave

Dan: <BR> <BR>I have been to Jamaica a half dozen times and would advise against you going to MoBay--you might as well go to Miami and save the plane fare. If you need the trappings of a tourist destination for the kids' sake, I would suggest Negril, with its huge expanse of white sand beach and many hotels. But if you have a sense of adventure, go to lush Port Antonio on the Northeast coast. It's secluded, but most people who go there rent villas (some fully staffed) for reasonable rates, and some of the waterfront villas come with a little boat for your own use. Day trips include rafting on the Rio Grande, visits to waterfalls in the jungle, or trips into the small town marketplace and Navy Island, and the nearby Frenchman's Cove Beach is among the most beautiful in the world. There are also a few posh resorts--the Trident chief among them--where you can stop in for a drink or dinner. Try this website for guest house and villa info: http://www.go-jam.com/ <BR>Good luck. <BR>

Old Feb 23rd, 2000, 02:54 PM
C.Clark

Port Antonio!!!!!!!! We've been all over Jamacia and were asked to buy drugs more often in Hawaii than in Jamaica. But Port Antonio is really beautiful. Try not to stay at an all-inclusive you miss way to much flavor of the country. <BR>

Old Feb 25th, 2000, 11:40 PM
hhansell

Dan, <BR>We just got back earlier this month from Superclubs Boscobel Beach Resort near Ocho Rios. We had a great time and definitely would recommend it. It is a family-oriented all-inclusive resort with separate adults only area as well. The FDR Resort in Runaway Bay has also gotten good reviews as well as Beaches Negril. Beaches Negril is significantly more expensive than Boscobel Beach. I also agree that the Port Antonio area is beautiful. You could take a day trip out there as we did from our resort. If you wanted to stay in Montego Bay, I heard that the Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort is nice however, I would recommend other part of the island over Montego Bay. <BR>Good Luck with your vacation plans! <BR>

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 01:56 PM
Randy

I have just returned from jamaica today. My wife and I stayed in both mobay and negril. Mobay sucks. I know some people return again and again, but I have no Idea why. Crime does not appear to be a problem. (violent crimes). Negril is much better. Be aware however that a good portion of the water area in Negril is swimsuit optional. There are many ins and outs. Exchange to local currency at the CIBC in mobay(best rate I found) Most tuorist items are quoted in both US and JA dollars but the JA is usually the better deal, if you get an honest exchange rate. Only the hotels insist on payment in US. e-mail me if you have any questions. [email protected] <BR>

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 03:53 PM
jj

Save yourselves and go somewhere else in the Caribbean where you can experience the culture and are not forced to stay in an all-inclusive . Otherewise go to Mo Bay and be prepared to be EXTREMELY hassled to buy their woven baskets and carvings and realize that the word NO doesn't exist there; and get sour , resentful looks. Oh- and if you rent a car, be ready to get ripped off when you fill up for gas. Ocho Rios is just as bad.