Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Any recommendations for either Carl Gustof, Guanahani, Le Toiny, or Isle de France?

Any recommendations for either Carl Gustof, Guanahani, Le Toiny, or Isle de France?

Jan 19th, 2001, 02:56 PM
Christie

I'm trying to choose between these 4 hotels for a honeymoon. We're thinking of dividing our time between Anguilla and St. Barths. Any advice would be appreciated!

Jan 20th, 2001, 04:14 AM
BillK

Check out www.wheretostay.com and you'll see that you've picked hotels with a very wide price range - determine your budget first.

Jan 20th, 2001, 04:57 AM
paul

Le Toiny is considered by many to be the best place to stay on St. Barts - which says a lot! Considered very classy, romantic, and in a scenic, secluded part of the island. Downside: ridiculously expensive, not on a beach, higher risk of people "with an attitude".
Carl Gustaf is right in Gustavia, with a great view overlooking the harbor. Another super nice place, and again ridiculously expensive and not on a beach.
Guanahani is on a beach, maybe a tad cheaper (but only a tad), and very popular. Some people say that the room locations don't afford much quiet/privacy - be sure of the exact room location when you book.
Isle de France gets rave reviews as a super classy and serene place. It is right on Flamands beach - lovely, kind of rough surf, quiet part of the island but only 10 mins drive to anything else.
I visited the grounds when I stayed nearby and was impressed. Isle de France gets my vote!

Jan 20th, 2001, 05:10 AM
paul

Also: if being on a beach is not essential, you ought to seriously check out Sofitel's Hotel Christopher.

Jan 20th, 2001, 05:19 AM
Sharon

We did Anguilla and loved Cap Juluca. Lasr year we did St. Barths and stayed at the Isle de France. I highly recommend this hotel.

Jan 20th, 2001, 11:10 AM
Karen

http://www.carlgustaf.com/ and www.st-barths.com/ will get you started if you haven't found them yet. Ilse de France also has a web site but I don't have it bookmarked.

Jan 20th, 2001, 09:01 PM
Christie

Thanks for the advice. I've looked at some of their websites. Been on the beach isn't essential since we'll have that when we're at Cap Juluca. We kind of want to be in an area that has a little bit more "life" to it and isn't as secluded.

Jan 29th, 2001, 04:55 PM
Ashley

We stayed at Isle de France for our honeymoon in May. I highly recommend it also. It was upscale yet not stuffy. Great service, and beautiful grounds. The rooms are said to be the largest on the island, I think. Great big, luxurious bathrooms. It's a light and airy feel- clean, crisp. The floors througout the room and bath are all tile. Knowing about Cap Juluca, you might want Le Toiny for a different atmosphere from that. Le Toiny is on the rocky, "cliff" side of the island. I'd recommend that over Carl Gustaf and Guanahani. Definitely not Guanahani- especially if you're looking for action. Guanahani was tucked away and the rooms from the brochures and website don't look that great.

Jan 30th, 2001, 10:03 AM
Christie

Ashley, did you have a good time in St Barts? What kind of activities did you do?

Jan 31st, 2001, 05:36 PM
Ashley

Christie- we loved St. Barts; we didn't want to leave! I've been to St. Thomas and Grand Cayman, and this far surpassed those islands. I was a french major so that's what also attracted me to St. Barts. The food is unbelievable- french cuisine. We didn't do alot of activities, except beach and shopping, and eating! We were unwinding from the wedding madness. You must rent a Jeep- it's so fun driving. The roads are hilly, winding, and narrow. You can make it around the island in less than 1/2 hour. I think your combo of Anguilla and St. Barths is awesome- first class! I wanted to do Cap Juluca for our honeymoon but they were closed due to hurricane Lenny (?). What time of year are you honeymooning? Because St. Barths, as far as the nightlife scene, was not "hopping" in May, but someone I knew was there over Christmas and there was much more action. For Hotel Isle de France, and also the others, there are "packages" you can get which include usually a dinner or two, breakfast, and ours included the jeep rental for the week. Check out Wimco for the others. Our Isle de France package was through Crowne International.

Feb 1st, 2001, 09:08 AM
Christie

Thanks for your comments Ashley. We're going in June so it sounds like St Barts will be on the quiet side. Were there any restaurants you particularly liked? And did you see Carl Gustof? If so, how did it compare to Isle de France?

Feb 1st, 2001, 07:04 PM
Ashley

Christie- we did not go to Carl Gustaf- had made dinner reservations there for our last night but we decided not to go so formal. Carl Gustaf is in Gustavia up on the hill and has a view of the harbor in Gustavia. I would recommend LeToiny over Gustaf, just because I didn't LOVE the Gustavia area. It's very nice, reminded me of a European city, and is the closest to an "urban area" on the island. I preferred the little town of St. Jean which has a more tropical, artsy feel. All of the little boutiques are in St. Jean, and the haute couture shops are in Gustavia (Armani, Cartier, etc.). (Don't get me wrong, I love big cities and those stores, but wanted the tropical island feel...)

For restaurants... Eden Rock was nice for a formal, pricey, special dinner. We had a very good meal at La Langouste which was near our hotel over on Flamands beach. La Mandala (same owner as BouBous) was pretty good. I wasn't that impressed with Mayas, although everyone raves about it. It's a very limited menu and no great view really. Le Ti St. Barth had a unique atmosphere, and is suppose to be happening for nightlife. Let's see- bottom line: don't miss BouBous for lunch, and our hotel's restaurant (at Hotel Isle de France).

It's expensive all around if you want to do it right- although I'm sure you're prepared for that with Cap Juluca. We spent $8-9k all totaled, with everything- some shopping, too- one week stay.

Let me know if you need anything else! I got lots of good info from an email pen pal in NYC who went there 5 months before me! Oh- the flight in is amazing- short, short, runway (world's third shortest).

Feb 1st, 2001, 07:48 PM
Kim

We stayed at Isle de France before the hurricane a few years ago. I've heard the beach is better...BUT, if you are into beautiful rooms and being on the beach isn't a factor, I'd definitly vote for Le Toiny. (besides each room has their own pool, I think) We drove over for dinner and were able to check out one of their rooms. I wished we could of switched hotels. IDF rooms were very boring and minimal, although, very roomy and large bath. (maybe by now they have refurbished, they needed it!) Le Toiny was brand new at the time, so everything was first class decor. Hope this helps. Kim

Feb 2nd, 2001, 01:40 PM
Ashley

The beach at IDF was gorgeous- no erosion. The above person (sorry forget your name) is right about LeToiny's rooms being more lavishly decorated than IDF. But you're going to pay alot more for LeToiny. Our beachfront room at IDF was about $550 per night; I don't think you can get anything at LeToiny for under $700.