Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Any Recommendations for a Language School with NO homestay component?

Feb 8th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

I would like to take my 7th grader to the Caribbean or Latin America for two weeks of intensive Spanish study. I will also take the course with him (I am a beginner; he has had a year of Spanish). We would like a reputable school that does not incorporate a homestay accomodation, preferring one that either has its own accomodations in a dormatory, or can recommend a nearby, affordable suite-type hotel.
It is very difficult to determine the quality of neighborhood, buildings and so forth from pictures on the internet, so any recommendations from people who have been there would be most helpful. We have also considered Costa Rica for this course, but seemingly all the courses/schools there include a homestay, and most are in or near San Jose (where we would NOT want to stay for 2 weeks).

Any help with this project would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for ideas, recommendations, warnings . . .
Feb 8th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Sunnyboy

Don't know if this is going to be much help but Spanish is not widely spoken (or taught) in most of the Caribbean islands except on the islands of Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic so you might have more luck concentrating your search in the traditional Mexican and Latin American countries.

Feb 8th, 2005, 11:56 AM

San Miguel d'Allende in the mountains north of Mexico City is a classic for
language study at all levels for all ages with a full spectrum of accredited schools, short/intensive courses, family courses,etc. Given Mexico, it's an Americanized area and relatively safe with lots of expats/retirees/and a
quiet, cultured center.
Feb 8th, 2005, 12:00 PM

Another suggestionuerto Morales in Chiapas on Mexico's far south Pacific coast for beach and surfing and a far more informal vibe/most language studies here may be homestay,tho, but that is to your advantage.
Feb 8th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, I did not make it clear that we would be primarily interested in a school in Puerto Rico, in the Caribbean. We're trying to avoid Mexico, if possible, although we would certainly consider it if there were a great school in San Miguel d'Allende. But again, the photos/testimonials on internet sites don't really tell the whole story, and I am hoping that someone with personal experience will see this---thanks!
Feb 9th, 2005, 01:02 AM

DR, PR and Costan Rican Spanish will not be standard Castilian, but localized. Have taken courses in San M -- used to be a Russian translator -- and can vouch for the top-notch levels of expertise. It's a serious learning experience, not playtime...
Feb 12th, 2005, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Tivertonhouse, that's what we want. Could you tell me the name of the school? Is it Habla Hispania, by an chance? Their website looks very organized and professional, but we've been misled by websites before. I appreciate your recommendation--
May 1st, 2007, 04:25 PM

Is this post still valid? I am looking for a week long Spanish language school, serious classtime, with conversation (that's what I mostly need). My very vague plan is to ditch DH and dear kids for a week this summer, and go learn Spanish.

I have heard of San Miguel de Allende, supposed to be nice.