Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Any info on new villa called Chocolate Hart in St John?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to sort through the incredible number of villas available & have come across a brand new one that is has caught my eye. E-mailed owner for some photos which seem pretty nice (4 bedroom/4 1/2 bath & fully AC, but the view doesn't look very good & it seems that the inside is pretty dark, everythings brown. It is located facing Hart Bay, but you can walk to Chocolate Hole. I know people will ask what is important to me & to tell the truth, I'm not sure anything is important except that the place is nice & has a pool, which it does. Can someone tell me about the area &/or this villa. Our other choice is either Treasure Ridge, another new one, or Cloud Nine, an older villa on gift hill. Thanks
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 07:06 AM

I'll look into it. As for the area, it is on the south shore and Chocolate Hole and Hart Bay are both good for swimming and snorkeling. The location is convenient to Cruz Bay, and you are near a cut-over, short-cut road that will take you to the more famous northshore beaches.
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 07:23 AM

Just took a quick look at DestinationsStJohn. They don't have any interior photos, but that is probably because it is so new. If the owner sent pictures, it could just be it is not done by a professional that the place looks dark. It sounds fabulous. And if it is fully air-conditioned, it must be fairly comfortable. If you are in contact with the owner, I would ask about whether the outdoor areas are "buggy" because it can be pretty buggy in some areas which will impact on your enjoyment of the pool. At our house, we keep an oscillating fan going around the clock on our deck to blow those bugs away.
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Talked to the management company today to get more info & try to decide. She said in her opinion our other choice, Treasure Ridge on Chocolate Hole North, would be better. It is higher up with better views. They have had issues with the roof over at Chocolate Hart. Also landscaping is in place at Tresure which is also fairly new. Our other choice is an older home, Cloud Nine, on Gift Hill. All are in the same price range.
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 05:16 PM

I'd pick somewhere in Chocolate Hole over Gifft Hill. Main reason is that Chocolate Hole is a very quick ride into Cruz Bay, or even to the Westin for drinks or dinner, whereas if you're up on Gifft Hill, you have to come down Gifft Hill road first, then get on the road into Cruz Bay, or you have to up Gifft Hill road to hit Centerline and then come down. It seems more of a pain. Although the views from Gifft Hill are pretty great.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Maybe one of you can advise us on our villa decision. My family decided they weren't crazy about Cloud Nine, but liked Villa Capiz better because it has a much better pool & deck area, but is still on Gifft Hill, is older & is more money. Do you know anything about this one or can you suggest a reasonably priced villa? Thanks
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 02:47 PM

We haven't stayed at Villa Capiz - but it is on my short list and one that I would really like to try. We stayed at a villa on Gifft Hill in May and would pass by Villa Capiz when we would take the "Westin way". I would definately stay on Gifft Hill again. It is only 10 minutes into Cruz Bay, the road isn't really any worse than elsewhere on the island and the view is fantastic! If you don't like the steep hill coming up the Westin way, take Centre road instead and it's no problem.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. That really helped. Now all I need to find out is if the inside has been updated. The photos of the bedrooms look a bit dated.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 05:35 PM

Sparks we stayed in a villa on Gifft Hill in June.I think that it is a good location and the sunset views are beautiful.

We always took centerline road back to the villa.The way going by the Westin was a bit too steep for us.Have a great time!
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 08:17 AM

Soon-to-be-owner comments regarding Chocolate Hart villa.

Hello, noticed the recent posting on Chocolate Hart and thought I would chime in as the soon-to-be-owner of the property. First, me and my wife are avid Caribbean and Central American vacation travelers ourselves. Second, given that there are so many prospective villa renters around the world, I'm a big believer in offering as much in the way of candid and unvarnished details and then letting prospective renters decide if it's the right overall package for what they are looking for.

With that in mind, following is a description of the Chocolate Hart villa:

* Very clean and spacious new construction building.
* Expansive windows that open wide and create an open airy feeling.
* Will appointed living space with impressive four posted beds.
* Modern kitchen with center island; great for buffet style meals, breakfast bar, and meeting place to plan your next island adventure.
* Villa is conveniently located 2 bays (Chocolate & Hart....hence the name); great for boaters, beach comers, and snorkelers, but not so great for those looking for a panoramic view.
* "Dark interior" referenced in prior posting due to the quality of my cheapo camera and the fact that the pics were taken during construction.

Anyone interested in additional details, feel free to contact me at [email protected] for information.

Jim Thames
North Andover, MA
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 02:58 PM

Wanted to post a few web sites now carrying the details of our Chocolate Hart Villa. As before, feel free to contact myself ([email protected]) or booking agent for additional details.

http://www.chocolatehartvilla.com/

http://www.villascaribe.com/Content/...-25-1-1536.htm

http://www.caribbeandays.com/stjohn/...latehart.shtml