Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

any good sites for airfares to the Caribbean?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 09:31 AM
grant

I seem to manage to easily find good fares to the Far East but can never seem to find bargains to the Caribbean. I would be looking for flights around Easter but may try summer to some islands- for instance Barbados( any other islands reasonably safe from hurricanes then?)

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 10:23 AM
Gail

Easter is still high season and it books early and costs are high. Prices drop after Easter. I would suggest you buy a package (air and hotel) from a travel agent as that way you usually get a much better airfare. Good choice for Island out of hurricane zone would be Aruba.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 01:13 PM
GM

Had great success with Continental's Cool Vacations, AA's Getaways, and Delta's vacations; recommend you call moreso than going by the online pricing.<BR><BR>Barbados would be GREAT around Easter; might be Ok up to the beginning of Aug.<BR><BR>Hope this helps.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 02:28 PM
grant

thanks to both posters for the help.Not sure about Aruba though- isn't it very overdeveloped? ( Excuse my ignorance if it isn't!). I will research all of the sites given tomorrow( over here it is 11.30pm just now)

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 04:38 AM
jcap2683

Hi Grant,<BR>Both American/AA Vacations and US Airways Vacations are having fare sales and promotions now for the spring- check out their websites as well as the usual Expedia, Travelocity etc. As another poster said, you normally don't have too have much concern about hurricanes or bad weather to about Aug 1 or later. Many hotels lower their rates around April 15, so since Easter is about that time, you may get the best of both worlds if you book ahead.<BR><BR>As far as Barbados vs. Aruba, Barbados is heavily populated with about 200,000 people. I don't know the poplulation of Aruba. If you really are looking for beaches nearly to yourselves,unspoiled natural beauty, friendly people, modern beachside accommodations or beautiful historic inns, rainforest hiking, off the beach snorkeling, historical sites, etc. I highly recommend St. Kitts. It's wonderful in the summer months. Check out www.wheretostay.com for hotel recommendations.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 05:36 AM
tivertonhouse

Try cvoa.com -- the Caribbean Villa Owners Association -- which offers guests of its member villas often good discounts/scarce tickets from US/Canada only on Air Jamaica and American Airlines to villas through the Caribbean. No airfare only -- and<BR>available only to those booking at its<BR>member villas -- lots to choose from.<BR>Our guests have done well with them.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 05:45 AM
grant

thanks for the suggestions. I should have mentioned though that I am in the UK.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 12:41 PM
Caribfan

Now that I know you are from the UK, there should be some really good deals coming up in May on Monarch to St. Kitts.