Any Cancun/Cozumel Info

Jan 6th, 1999, 06:49 PM
vidya

Any Cancun/Cozumel Info

I am planning a six day vacation this Feb 99. I went to Cancun last year and was considering returning and spending time in Cozumel this year. Any thoughts on Cozumel as a vacation spot? I am looking to do some snorkeling and shopping. Is it convenient to go from Cozumel to Cancun or perhaps some other sites like playa or xcarat? Does anyone have any recommendations on where to stay in Cozumel?

I am not necessarily locked into going to Mexico and am willing to entertain any suggestions for other vacation spots.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 6th, 1999, 08:08 PM
Jason&Terri

Me and my wife and two kids went to cozumel this past summer and had the time of our lves. We stayed at the Paradisus. There were nightly showes, three resterants, four bars, people there treated us like royalty. The snorkeling was great. We went into town and shopped till we dropped. We loved it and are planning another trip for this summer. I did see alot of singles and couples/with kids.... Any questions??? E-Mal us....

Jan 7th, 1999, 05:17 PM
Carl

I was in Cancun twice this year, once in
May (pre-Mitch) and once in mid-December. The beaches on the Caribbean side of Cancun took a beating from hurricane Mitch although there really wasn't much in the way of property damage. Nonetheless I liked Cancun as long as you know what you're getting into. It is very "Americanized" with modern, luxurious high rise resorts lining the beach. There are 5 or 6 major malls and more Mc'D's than here in PA. For some good eats in Cancun I'd rec La Dolce Vita (Italian), El Pescador (seafood) and Splash (a liitle bit of everything). definitely do the jungle tour and if you have time (it's a full day visit the Mayan ruins). A quick and cheap trip to Isla Mujeres is also rec. Be sure to find the beach Playa Norte on IM. Loveliest beach that I saw in the area in May or Dec and hat was on the Dec trip. Good luck!!

Jan 7th, 1999, 05:18 PM
Carl

I was in Cancun twice this year, once in
May (pre-Mitch) and once in mid-December. The beaches on the Caribbean side of Cancun took a beating from hurricane Mitch although there really wasn't much in the way of property damage. Nonetheless I liked Cancun as long as you know what you're getting into. It is very "Americanized" with modern, luxurious high rise resorts lining the beach. There are 5 or 6 major malls and more Mc'D's than here in PA. For some good eats in Cancun I'd rec La Dolce Vita (Italian), El Pescador (seafood) and Splash (a liitle bit of everything). definitely do the jungle tour and if you have time (it's a full day visit the Mayan ruins). A quick and cheap trip to Isla Mujeres is also rec. Be sure to find the beach Playa Norte on IM. Loveliest beach that I saw in the area in May or Dec and that was on the Dec trip. Good luck!!

Jan 8th, 1999, 06:10 AM
Deena Haiber

I was in Cancun about a year and a half ago, and I just have one reccomendation -- stay away from the "Moon Palace." This is a huge resort that all the travel books list as being in Cancun (it's not, it's actually a long shuttle ride away), with terrible food. The rooms and facilities are nice, but the food just ruins it.

Jan 8th, 1999, 01:39 PM
vidya

Thanks for all the great advice. Just curious if anyone knows anything more about the Hurricane damage that Carl wrote about. Is this anything to worry about? Any damage in Cozumel?

Jan 9th, 1999, 10:53 AM
Carl

I wasn't trying to scare you. In Cancun the beaches are much narrower than b4. Only those who've been there since Mitch will know this. The surf was already rough on the Caribbean side when I was there in May, but much rougher in Dec. No property damage though.

Jan 12th, 1999, 11:25 AM
nancy

My family and I just returned from a weeks stay in Cozumel at the El Presidente. Like you, we went to Cancun last year and were interested in trying something different. We had one of the best vacations ever, even though we had 2 days of rain. Cozumel had wonderful snorkeling, in fact the best ever right on the El Presidente beach. We also found the shopping to be pretty good, but I was disappointed that I couldn't carry things home with us(pottery and glassware would've been too heavy and bulky). We didn't go back to Cancun or to Playa, we just enjoyed staying on Cozumel, so I couldn't help you with that info. I was afraid we would be bored, but we weren't at all. We beached it, went out for dinner, drove around, and spent time in town. Also, I felt very safe on Cozumel, which was really nice traveling with kids. Good luck with your vacation plans. Also, if you're traveling from the East Coast, Continental has non-stop from Newark every Saturday. It was great!

Jan 14th, 1999, 06:09 PM
Dave

My family and I went to Cozumel in December and had a great time. The snorkeling was simply amazing. We stayed at Presidente and loved it. Would go back again in a minute!

Jan 17th, 1999, 07:35 AM
Chris Stewart

If your ok with the high-tourism and crowded beaches of Cozumel, then by all means, stay on the island. If not, I highly recommend you stay down the mainland coast at Playa del Carmen. We stayed last Jan'98 at RIU Yucatan and it was outstanding. Their all-inclusive price was reasonable considering the high caliber of food, service & romms. It's a 5-10min taxi from the Cozumel ferry dock, and is easlily done to enjoy a full day on Cozumel. The beaches at Playa are less crowded and better for relaxing before or after the snokeling.

Jan 18th, 1999, 02:29 PM
Mary

I live in Cozumel part time, and I can tell you cozumel in very laid back, nothing like Cancun. One of the finest place in Coral Princess, north end, you can still walk to town or ferry. For day trips caught the ferry to Playa, then a bus for 12 peso to cancun, or Isla Mujeres or xcarat, Tulum. There is so much to do, you can't do it all in 6 days, will have to come back another time. You didn't give the dates in Feb, but Feb 11-16 in Carnival 3 parades, small one on Sat, Med on Sun and the one you won't want to miss, just as good as new orleans costumes is Fat Tuesday 16th.
This is very much a family affair,and everyone comes out.
To eat don't miss Pizza Rolanda on the main st. Its not just pizza, everything there is wonderful, roof top dinning, open air, Prima on Salas is a must, if you ate 5 meals a day you couldn't eat at all the great places there. A must go to the windward side of the island, it is beautiful, but it is not safe to swim there because of the strong currents, you must stay close to shore when wading out. I could go on but I believe everone has address the snorking the very best, and not damage from Mitch, except pot holes in the road, they are still repairing them. The island is very safe and you can wonderful to the back street with not problems. Have a wonderful vacation, and let me know when you are going, we will be there Feb 6-18th, this is the time of year we meet all of our friends there from all over the world.
See you,
Mary

Jan 21st, 1999, 04:25 PM
vidya123

Mary--Thanks for the recommendations. I actually will be there during the carnival parade dates that you mentioned in the middle of February. I am planning tp split my stay between Cancun and Cozumel, but am still finalizing my accomodations. I'll be traveling with family and am looking for a nice (but economical!) hotel in Cozumel. Any recommendations???

Jan 22nd, 1999, 03:31 AM
Phil

Everybody likes something different. If you're into Resorts and crowds, Cancun is for you. Cozumel is a bit more laid back, but also crowded. As one reader recommended, the "Mexican Riviera" (Playa del Carmen) and that area are less crowded and a better value. HOWEVER, if you're looking for a real island experience in the Caribbean, I say FORGET Mexico altogether and go somewhere else depending on what you want. The BVI is great. Feel free to call me for info. 1-800-585-9896.

Jan 22nd, 1999, 08:46 AM
Deborah

Just came back from 9 glorious days in Cozumel! WE LOVED IT!! We stayed at El Presidente, which had just the most excellent service (I forgot my toothbrush and a complimentary one was brought to our room in 15 minutes--I used it the rest of the trip, it was that good!) and location!

We went w/ 2 other couples, some divers some not.
I would highly recommend Cozumel--it was low key enough for us (we're not into a whole lot of nightlife beyond a few drinks and good conversation) but had enough good food and things to do! We walked around and window shopped a few nights. Ate late dinners and hung out other nights. Went to a bar one night... another night went back to the hotel and drank tequilla and played poker. That kind of thing.
We spent most of our days on the beach and on and in the water. One of our favorite experiences was to go around to the unhotelled side of the island and hang out on the beautiful beaches over there!

We ended up getting food from the Chedraui, the only "supermerchado" for breakfasts so we didn't have to spend much $$ on that... it worked just fine.

What a marvelous marvelous place. We went over to Playa for a day and also went to Xcaret. Fun stuff, but glad we stayed on Cozumel. I can't rave enough. Would definely go back, although I think we'll probably try other spots in the world first!

Jan 25th, 1999, 04:28 PM
Judy

Hi! We just got back from Cozumel two weeks ago. It was fabulous. We stayed at El Presidente as well. It was really worth the money. The service was excellent and the grounds were clean. The beach was perfect. It also had the best snorkeling on the island. I really think that the El Presidente is the way to go. Enjoy your trip!

Jan 31st, 1999, 11:20 AM
Don

My wife and I have been going to Cozumel each year for the last several years. It really is a fantastic place. If you are at all interested in diving, it is the place for you. There are also plenty of snorkeling sites. You will not be disappointed.

We have fallen in love with Cozumel and look forward to our trip there every year. We finally decided to invest in a timeshare but had previously stayed at many of the hotels there. I would probably agree that the El Presidente is the best hotel on the island. But it certainly is not the only one. We have enjoyed the Paradisus (probably our next favorite spot) and even Plaza Las Glorias. If you are going there mainly to dive or just see the sites, you may also want to consider Fiesta Inn--really a great value. They have a large pool and the rooms are decent sized. If this is your first time there, there is so much to see and do that you may not spend a whole lot of time at your hotel.
Keep in mind that Carnival is Feb 11-16 and rooms may be hard to come by.
All in all Cozumel is a wonderful place. I hope you have a great time there!