Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Any All Inclusives on StJ, StT (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/any-all-inclusives-on-stj-stt-292678/)

Becks2577 Feb 26th, 2003 08:03 AM

Any All Inclusives on StJ, StT

I'm a virgin to the Virgin Islands. Can anyone help me out? I have a few questions. First, this trip is for our honeymoon coming up in January, and my fiance insists on an all-inclusive resort. Which one(s) are there. Second, what are the beaches like in the VIs? Are they beautiful like Aruba or rocky and murky water. Third, what's expected of the weather in the VIs in January? Should I expect rain or blue sunny skies? Finally, what are the VIs general atomsphere like? Are they tropical and romantic, jungle like, or desert like. I cannot seem to find any pictures of them; also what are the locals like. Thanks, A.A.<BR><BR>

KaribIslander Feb 26th, 2003 10:17 AM

There are two all inclusives on St. Thomas. Bolongo Bay, an older family-run property and Sugar Bay. Neither would have the Sandals-type all inclusive if that is what you are picturing since all inclusive IMO is not the way to enjoy the Virgin Islands. Some hotels do offer a B&amp;B option (the Ritz) and some have meal plans but the best way to enjoy the USVI is out and about the islands. You might look to the BVI's where a modified all inclusive (no booze) is offered at Peter Island, Guana Island, Biras Creek. The water is gin clear as long as there are no storms about and then you can still find beaches that will have perfect water. Not the wind that you have in Aruba but tropical breezes that are comfortable. Not the long stretch of beach on Aruba where the hotels are lined up but small coves and bays with sandy beaches. You can find all terraines in the Virgin Isles but St. Croix is the only one with a rain forest. They are tropical with sometimes scattered quick showers to keep the islands green and the flowers blooming. There are many good web sites for the USVI including usvi-on-line.com and vinow.com with lots of pictures and information. If you do a search with google or any of the engines you will have more information than you could possibly use.

VAtraveler Feb 27th, 2003 05:10 AM

We stayed at the Marriott Frenchman's Reef on an all-inclusive on our honeymoon. It's not well advertised, you have to ask about it. We really enjoyed our stay there - great for a first timer to the USVI.

KaribIslander Feb 27th, 2003 05:28 AM

The Marriott properties do offer all inclusive during off season. I am not aware of it being offered during season but check with them in case.

susan1 Feb 27th, 2003 05:47 AM

Becks2577 -<BR><BR>Have you thought about St. John Island? It is just a ferry away. You could stay @ the Caneel Bay or The Westin St. John if you wanted more of a resort like atmosphere.<BR><BR>Neither are all inclusive, but worth checking into.<BR><BR>Also, the Marriott Frenchmans reef can accomodate an all inclusive plan.<BR><BR>Enjoy and congratulations!

basilwat Feb 27th, 2003 05:51 AM

Actually, the Westin in St. John does offer a meal plan...definitely worth checking into....<BR><BR>:)

KaribIslander Feb 27th, 2003 09:49 AM

I think that there should be a note here that offering meal plans is not the same as the traditional all inclusive where all activity, food and drink is included. Most resorts do allow the guests to use non-motorized water toys but charge extra for excursions but the big difference is the policy regarding alcohol or drinks. Sandals, some Club Med locations if not all now and all-inclusives generally include alcohol and even soda without extra charge. Those with meal plans do not include alcoholic beverages or beverages other than with meals. That might be a deciding factor when choosing your destination.

Knowing Mar 2nd, 2003 01:52 PM

Just returned from the Wyndham Sugar Bay on STT at about 10:30 last night. It is an AI for you to consider. Their beach is not huge, but it wasn't crowded. The island itself has many beautiful white sand beaches. The water is a calm type and is turquoise colored. Weather in Januray is about 77 degrees. We had one afternoon of rain during our stay. Not sure about January. The island of STT is not a tropical paradise as it has many restaurants, bars and hotels. The locals are pretty much what you find on most of the other islands.