Reload this Page >

ANY ADVICE FOR ISLAND CONDO STAYS?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 1998, 06:53 PM
dimi

My husband and I will be leaving shortly and I've never stayed at a condo before on vacation? What should I bring from home that I won't find there, and what should I know about they they're not telling me?

Old Jun 24th, 1998, 11:18 AM
Kathleen

All condos are different. Prices on everything will be much higher on almost every island. If you will have kitchen facilities and plan to eat in I would pack a lot, even take an extra suitcase! I always take prescription drugs, sunscreen and aloe gel, extra film, bug spray, neosporin, cortisone cream , bandaids, tweezers and nail clippers. Take beach towels(you never have enough dry ones), water toys, and beach chairs/umbrella. You will want to bring garbage bags, toilet paper, paper towels, lots of ziploc bags,dish detergent, laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent. Your favorite brands of coffee/tea/lemonade/iced tea are a must. Don't forget coffee filters, sugar/sweetener. My family likes to eat breakfast and lunch at the condo and go out for a great dinner. I pack canned foods like tuna/tuna helper, canned crab, ravioli, also lots of boxes of macaroni and cheese, rice, spaghetti(with canned sauce), ramen noodles, Pringles potato chips, popcorn(microwave), cake mix and canned frosting,and paper plates and glasses for by the pool. If you are flying don't take anything glass or any canned pop. A small cooler for the beach is great if you have room. Plan out how many meals you wish to eat in and try to take the bulk of it with you. Many of the products you are used to will probably not be available if you are going to the Bahamas or Carribean. Their meats don't look as good and the fruits are disappointing. We usually just go to their stores for bottled water, milk, juices, pop, ice cream,breads and baked goods, eggs, jelly and condiments. Have a good time and spend the money you save on great restaurants and excursions.

Old Jun 24th, 1998, 12:40 PM
dimi

KATHLEEN - THANKS A MIL AND PLEASE CHECK YOUR E-MAIL. DIMI

Old Jun 25th, 1998, 07:30 AM
Jean E. Bowers

I have stayed in a condo in the Bahamas and Jamaica. It is a real money saver and in my opinion makes my stay much more enjoyable. In most cases if the condo has housekeeping services you will not have to furnish toilet paper. I usually call the management to find out what kind of coffee pot they have so I know what kind of filters. I throw in lots of zip lock bags, foil, plastic wrap,a few plastic cups to use at the pool, salt, pepper,garlic salt,basil, a measuring cup, bottle opener, my favorite bath soap, candles because (you never know when the power will fail). I usually take a dish liquid that I can also use to wash out bras and bathing suits with. I take a sponge,napkins and dish clothes, and a few kitchen towels because paper towels are bulky to pack and expensive to buy there. They now have brownies,and coffee cake mixes that even come with a pan. All you add is water and bake. To save yourself from lugging bottles or cans of pop I take a large container of presweetened Cool Aid, or I buy lemons, limes and make wonderful cooling drinks from them. Any kind of snack you prefer (I take salted nuts) will be two to three times the price it was at home, and they travel well. Fresh milk is not always available so read the carton to make sure it is not reconstituted or out dated. Most places have a open market where you can pick up fruits and vegetables. When I lived in St. Croix there was a road side stand where I purchased all my fruit and veggies. Ask around for a bakery if you do not want the usual grocery store bread. They will usually have a good assortment of sweet rolls, muffins and even pasties (meat pies). I also throw in a sewing kit, and a supply of Band Aids, ointments,lotions, bubble bath, etc. I have taken a blow up raft on every trip. Most islanders can not afford to buy water toys, so I give my raft to someone instead of deflating it for the trip home. Let me know if I can give you more info.

Old Jun 25th, 1998, 09:01 AM
dimi

JEAN - THANKS A MIL AND PLEASE CHECK YOUR E-MAIL TOO! Dimi

Old Jun 26th, 1998, 04:31 AM
TC

The answer really depends on where you are going. We stay in a condo in Cozumel every year. The local grocery stores have most things I need. I always bring (1) a sharp knife and a hand turn can opener (those provided are always too dull), (2) clip style clothes pins (they come in handy for hanging up wet suits to holding plasitc bags closed). (3) good coffee (if you're picky about that), (4) lots of zip lock bags with a little aluminum foil (just fold some into a square, don't need a whole box), a little string, a few rubberbands, and super glue (these things have fixed a lot of things on our vacations). Most condos provide poolside towels (ask). Some island custom's officials are very picky about bringing in food items. (I've been stopped in Cozumel for having coffee in my suitcase). You might want to check this out. It would be a shame to haul a suitcase full of food only to have it confiscated at the border.) Don't think of it as housekeeping, think of it as fancy camping. You'll have a great time. <BR>

Old Jun 26th, 1998, 06:14 AM
dimi

Hi TC - thanks for the tip - I will be going to Cayman not Cozumel but will make a note to check with customs regarding food imports. Much appreciated - Dimi

Old Jun 30th, 1998, 08:37 AM
dimi

thanks everyone for all the tips

Old Jul 1st, 1998, 01:24 PM
dimi

If there is anyone else that can lend a tip or two before we go, I'd appreciate it! Thanks! Dimi

Old Jul 2nd, 1998, 01:09 PM
dimi

Bringing this back to the top in a desparate attempt that someone else will give us a tip or two.