Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Antigua - Where to Stay? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/antigua-where-to-stay-226860/)

Ted May 31st, 2002 11:08 AM

Antigua - Where to Stay?

Hello. My wife & I are contemplating a vacation to Antigua and would appreciate advice about accommodations (hotels and/or condos). We like to be on a great beach (oceanfront) and close to the action -- restaurants, nightlife, shopping etc. We're not adverse to crowds. This is an unplanned "add-in" vacation, so value is an issue. <BR><BR>Thanks<BR>

Maureen May 31st, 2002 12:33 PM

We have traveled to Antigua twice and stayed at Sandals. The only other resort we saw was the Pineapple Beach Club. The resort was situated on a very expansive beach by a hill and it was quite scenic. Other than that I'm not much help. Previous posters have remarked about staying there--see older posts on top. I did not notice a lot of nightlife or shopping in Antigua. St. Johns had a few stores but nothing like St. Martin or St. Thomas. I would chose Antigua for R&R--great beaches, for sailing and to tour the historical areas like English Harbour if you enjoy history. We hired a driver to take us to the marinas where the yachts were-- Nelsons Dockyard/English Harbor, to a few beaches, to a sugar mill with background info (lots of old sugar mills) and a stop at the Devils Bridge. I believe most people stay on their property for entertainment--which Pineapple most certainly has. Shirley Heights on Sunday is a must.

anonymous May 31st, 2002 12:41 PM

Allegro Pineapple Beach which is an all-inclusive accommodation. For specials to Antigua see www.travelfleamarket.com or www.travelzoo.com<BR><BR>see www.geographia.com/guestbook/antigua for recent trip report dated 5/28/02.<BR><BR>

Ted Jun 1st, 2002 01:32 PM

Thanks.<BR><BR>Any other suggestions? How's Rex Halcyon Cove (name??)? <BR><BR>

Cheryl Jun 1st, 2002 05:34 PM

Blue Waters in Antigua is gorgeous...check it out at www.bluewaters.net. <BR><BR>Enjoy!

Susan Jun 1st, 2002 05:43 PM

We ended up staying @ Rex Halycon (long story...) about 3 years ago. It is very basic. That said, the beach is gorgeous (but beware of vendors on the days when the cruise ships arrive!) & the sunsets are spectacular! Try to get one of the rooms @ the far end of the property right on the beach (small 2 story buildings). Roll out of bed & you're on the beach! The pool is Ok, kind of small & the main restaurant is very poorly located w/ an excellent view of the parking lot (a bit hard to take when the tour buses are pulling in & out & spewing out gaseous fumes while you are trying to enjoy your breakfast...get a table away from the window!!)<BR>I wld. rate Rex about a 2.5 star out of 5 & that rating is weighted heavily toward the excellent beachfront location.<BR>Hope this helps!

Maureen Jun 2nd, 2002 04:26 AM

At the Rex you'll have access to a lot of sailing excursions--including an all day sail to Barbuda-you can board just past the hotel. This is a value type property and is on a very nice beach close to Sandals where we stayed. <BR>You might also look into the Royal Antiguan--see Where2Stay.com for travelers reviews. A lady I use to work with went there about two years ago for a short stay and had a very good time. She said a catamaran stopped there to pick up passengers for snorkling and the cuisine was good. <BR>Blue Waters is a very nice property so I have been told but rather expensive.

xxx Jun 2nd, 2002 07:37 AM

For value for money, I would recommend Jolly Beach Resort. Sits on one of the most beautiful beaches I've seen and the food at the resort is excellent. Some rooms tend to be small but quite nice.

lisa Jun 2nd, 2002 09:05 AM

Galley Bay is the place to stay!

Nadine Jun 2nd, 2002 09:11 AM

Galley Bay is wonderful but definitely not in the "value" category! I think you're best value properties would be Rex Halcyon, Rex Blue Heron, Royal Antiguan or Pineapple Beach Club.