Search

Jamica: AI or Not?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2014, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jamica: AI or Not?

Looking to book a Jamaican vacation for 5-6 nights in Feb 2015. We are a young couple--mid 20s--so we are not looking for anything too upscale and would prefer something reasonably priced. We would love to experience the sights and cultural experience of Jamaica, while of course feeling safe.

We are looking for a beautiful beach location, night life, and to take part in various activities such as snorkeling, one of the waterfalls, the cliffs, or anything else worth seeing.

I have heard mixed reviews when it comes to choosing an AI or not. The idea of being somewhere overcrowded and dealing with long lines for dinner does not sound too appealing (is this always the case?). But we also don't want to be somewhere that shuts down at 10 pm.

Montego Bay? Negril? Runaway Bay? Ocho Rios? Help!
Old Jul 31st, 2014, 02:10 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I never stay All-Inclusive anywhere I go. But I think it's completely a personal choice.

I *love* Negril (been 3x). I'm not interested in any of the other places you mention.

In Negril you can stay either on the gorgeous 7-mile beach or out the West End road on "the Cliffs". It's a very special place.

Use www.negrilonestop.com and there's a map you can click on all the various places to stay and get a feeling for what's what.
Old Jul 31st, 2014, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks suze! I'm definitely thinking Negril and non all-inclusive-- I want to be able to actually experience Jamaica!
Now the question is deciding the cliffs or the beach. Both sound so great. That website is so helpful and will for sure make the planning process much easier
Old Jul 31st, 2014, 02:43 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yup that website ROCKS! I've always stayed on the Cliffs, but both areas are great and I think most people think of the beach. I have not stayed there but thought Wild Parrott looked good and has reasonable rates ($65-110).

There are loads of great places to eat cheap, or at least reasonable and local style food. And plenty of beach bars, music at night, beach parties, etc. There's not much of a town really, it's a small rustic place. So not a lot in the way of shopping or fancy restaurants.

Negril is a 90 min. drive from the Montego Bay airport so most people use a shuttle service. I used Clive's my last trip, I think it was $30pp each way.
Old Aug 1st, 2014, 07:23 PM
WWK

Great advice above from Suze. In all the trips we've taken to Negril ( I've lost count, but been going there since 1982!) I''ve never stayed on the cliffs. The beach is one of the longest and prettiest in the whole Caribbean, and it keeps me entertained for hours with the parade of locals, characters, tourists, who walk up and down.

I've stayed many times at COCO LA PALM, which is in the middle of the beach. The upstairs units are very large, comfortable, clean, all with terraces, some facing the pool/beach. Other hotels that are very nice: IDLE AWHILE, CHARELA INN, RONDEL VILLAGE.

As mentioned above, there's no need for AI, since food is so reasonable and good almost everywhere you go. COCO has a very good breakfast ( try the homemade banana bread!), and right across the street, THE BEST OF THE WEST has amazing jerk chicken to take back with you to the beach.

The only thing you'll need to look out for is school vacation weeks in February. I think they usually start around President's Day, but try to plan around them because it is a zoo at that time of year in Negril!