Antigua-Jumby Bay Menu Items?

Jun 23rd, 2003, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Antigua-Jumby Bay Menu Items?

I have read quite a bit on this board about Jumby Bay. Can anyone elaborate on the meals that they are currently serving and also the quality of the food? One poster mentioned unlimited room service. Is it a limited room service menu or basically what ver they are serving outside? Any other details would be appreciated.
Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:40 PM

The evening dinners in the Estate House (served 5 nights per week) are very good and include a nice variety of fish, meats and the occasional pasta dish, very good appetizers and desserts, and house wine is included.

The breakfasts and lunches are good, but not memorable. That is, quite a bit better than Denny's/IHOP, but not nearly as good as the Estate House meals. Breakfast and lunch always include service from a menu in addition to buffet items. Mix and match.
The room service menu is essentially the same as the lunch menu.
Unlimited drinks are available all day at the restaurant bar on the beach and the beach stands. Beer selection is quite limited (Carib), but they have some reasonably good quality pours, frozen drinks, etc.
You have to factor in value IMO. The food at Jumby Bay is not cheap. And some who are used to high end food all the time will complain about the breakfast and lunches not being on par with the dinners.
But to put everything in proper perspective one must remember that part of what you pay for at JB is the privacy of having this island to yourself, along with what feels like relatively few guests per acre. Management would have no problem paying for all the services with plenty of profit left over if there were 400 rooms at the resort. But when there are only a bit more than 3 dozen, the cost per guest has to go up proportionately.
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:44 AM

I have no problem with the breakfasts, or lunches at Jumby. They are very very good. I cannot imagine wanting more for breakfast! Its right up there with the best hotels! It has an American and European mix -such as the
Jumby special granola, or the English Breakfast. I love the blueberry pancakes, sometimes I request bannana.
Ditto omelettes,I do egg white rather
then regular. Fresh fruit, pastries, cappuccio, what more could you want.
As far as lunch I love the fresh grilled catch of the day, followed by red wine with cheese. Quite a bit better than Dennys, now that is a joke.
I am not a fan of all inclusives, as I find them boring, I try to avoid them, but Jumby has won me over. Dennys LOL!
Not!
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both. Excellent replies! Any info on the waterskiing or sailing which they say is included?
Jun 24th, 2003, 06:16 AM

The water sports are excellent! As a watcher I have seen quite a few watersport's buffs on my many trips. One was a fellow from California, the other from UK--they would spend all day on the water, skiing, windsurfing, sailing, kayaking. On our last trip I noticed the ski boat go out and check the sailor who was quite a distance away. I am sure they will meet your needs. Jumby is a relaxing place, well worth the price tag. The staff has been there for many years, they have survived
quite a few management companies, they are simply the best!
Jun 24th, 2003, 08:29 AM

From penny, above: "Quite a bit better than Dennys, now that is a joke".

So you disagree?
You think the daytime food at Jumby Bay is not "quite a bit better than Denny's"?
Jun 24th, 2003, 09:38 AM

LOL-in a different league than Dennys and IHOP for sure, quite a bit better-not a fair conmparison at all. Just curious, what more would you have wanted at breakfast, and lunch. The breakfast here is as good as Turtle Bay at Caneel(now their main pavillion is lacking in ambience), Little Dix, La Sammanna, Malliouhana, Jalousie, CuisinArt. No I am not a travel agent, I just enjoy top beachfront hotels.

I must say I do get tired of the same old muffins etc.
in the continential breakfast at Cap Juluca. Tried Georges for breakfast, and although the setting is wonderful,
it did not capture the ambience, service
and food at Jumby! Anyhow the mangement
is open to suggestions. The estate house menu has improved, and changed twice since January! It just gets better, and better!
Jun 24th, 2003, 12:31 PM

Ok, I'll be specific (and picky).
I had two made to order omelets. They were really quite greasy. Now grease adds a lot of flavor, and many nicer restaurants will actually add oils of various types to enhance flavor. It's not that the breakfast chef was wrong for making the omelets oily. That might have been his or her intent. Just not my favorite preparation.
Breads were very good at breakfast. Especially those chocolate filled french rolls. Those would have been suitable for dessert in the estate House.
Waffles were pretty mediocre. Not bad, but certainly nothing special.
The yogurt there was surprisingly good (can't remember the brand--not avail in US). Very sweet and creamy.
Pancakes were good. It's hard to make a bad pancake. Fruit and berries in the flapjakes were fresh and tasty.

Lunch: club sandwich was good but not better than most $10 entree restaurants in US IMO.
I wish lunch had some great accompanying desserts. Only ice cream/sorbet and cookies.
Tell the staff to add Key Lime pie! To every menu! That would have colored my overall impression for sure. I didn't find a good piece of KLP on either Anguilla or JB

Jun 24th, 2003, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Outstanding discussion. It all sounds good to me. Curious. How would you both rate JB against other high end resorts in the area? Especially, since Rosewood took over?
Jun 25th, 2003, 02:44 AM

As far as other high end resorts in the area, I have only experienced Jumby on the island of Antigua. Curtain Bluff always gets raves, never got over to the other side of the island to see it. As far as caribbean high end resorts, Jumby is one of the best. It was wonderful before Rosewood, they are just fine tuning it. I would refer to Jumby as more of a private club feeling. My criteria has always been the island first, great beaches, good selection of restaurants. I try to stay away from cruiseship crowds. We love Anguilla, as it has all that and more. The hotel choice was secondary, beachfront being by number one priorty. Caneel is a great property, dining in Cruz BAy is fun, from the beach snorkeling is the best. Rosewood could do a much better job managing this spot. Anyhow, it really depends what you are looking for in a resort/island!

PS-rwilliams-So you have a sweet tooth!
With all the desert table choices at
The Estate House, and on grill night,
I am sure they would have put away a few deserts for you to have at lunch. Just ask! No key lime pie,
oh well, you will just have to go to Dennys!
Jun 25th, 2003, 07:03 AM

I must have several 'sweet teeth' because I judge restaurants first and foremost by their desserts. And Jumby Bay didn't disappoint in that department. There were dinners after which I had at least 8 desserts (and could have had more).
My sense is that the staff would have at least tried to satisfy any reasonable request, and I'm sure if I asked in advance, they'd add a Key Lime pie one night. We are already planning our return to JB and I may inquire about this once we check in.
As for the excess calories, I really enjoyed bicycling around the island. I made several circuits per day (and actually timed myself at 8 minutes 54 seconds for fastest circuit our last night--though it took lots of effort to find a bicycle suitable for a quick ride). Swimming, running and bicycling at JB were particularly enjoyable for me(and kept me from ballooning my weight).
Jun 25th, 2003, 07:22 AM

rwilliams-
I have been enjoying you posts.....since you did the Cap/Jumby in one trip, I have to ask you. Based on your recent overall experiences if you had to pick one resort only, which one would it be Cap of Jumby?
Jun 25th, 2003, 09:21 AM

My wife and I were in agreement right down the line on the Cap vs. Jumby issue (which is often not the case).
The beach at Cap is tough to beat. We've been to what we think are the world's best beaches in Asia, Australia, Mediterranean, Hawaii etc. I can't say I've ever been on a better beach than Cap's for soft/white sand quality, beautiful water color, enough wave action to make an impression but not too much, privacy, views across the water, etc. Cap's beach is really tough to beat.
Anguilla is fun if you love good food because the restaurants are varied and unique and there are some really great meals to be had.
We just weren't overwhelmingly impressed with CJ. Hard to say exactly why. We've discussed this at length trying to pin it down. Room quality was a bit of a letdown. We're pretty picky about hotel rooms, much moreso than 90% of people I'm sure. Service was OK but not great in our experience.
We know we would not have been happier at Malliouhana, CoveCastles or CuisinArt, though of these we would recommend CuisinArt along with CJ.

We really enjoyed Jumby Bay a lot. Funny thing is that the rooms there had their flaws too, though we enjoyed this aspect more than CJ. The whole atmosphere at JB really harmonized with what we were looking for. Hard to say exactly why, as on paper JB definitely ahs its own flaws. But we are planning to return to JB, probably within the next 6-8 months. We have no plans to ever return to Cap Juluca, but we understand why many, many people love CJ. And we had a favorable impression of Anguilla.

Now if someone would airlift the Four Seasons Hualalai (about one fourth of it, anyway) from the Big Island to Jumby Bay, I think we'd have to liquidate the portfolio, buy a home there and retire.
Jun 25th, 2003, 09:40 AM

Thank you, I enjoy your writing and trust your opinions. We were trying to decide weather to go back to Cap or try Jumby. We in fact are returning to Cap because of the beach/water/view and we just loved Anguilla. From research, I can see that the Jumby blows Cap away in many aspects. I know the food at Jumby is good, but my DH cannot stay put in one place and likes to venture out in a car, espically when its non-touristy, like Anguilla. I think we may go to Jumby next spring it is a definate must do - and maybe my husband will be bored with Anguilla by then! Thank you for your honest well written posts. Between you and Penny's opinions, I know it has to be wonderful
Jun 25th, 2003, 01:02 PM

Sandyfeet-We ask ourselves that question all the time. Its a tough call as each is so different. We love Anguilla, its people, its dining spots,and last of all CJ.
As you know CJ is getting harder to book, too many honeymooners, too many packages, and too many groups. Having stayed at Malli, and CuisinArt, nothing is as wonderful for us as CJ. We never get tired of Anguilla, having been there so many times, its still the best. We love Jumby too, actually I like the ambience on the beach much better, although the water and the sand is nicer on Maundays Bay. So its a hard call, thats why we do both sometimes twice a year.
Jun 25th, 2003, 01:17 PM

Yes I know.....we are returning this November and can't wait. I think we have to find a new "Cap Juluca" someplace and not tell anyone about it
Jun 30th, 2003, 09:46 AM

To RWilliams, Penny, and SandyFeet:

I love your reviews and value opinions posted about where you've been. Have any of you been to St. Barts? Do you have a preferred property there?

I'm not looking for a private villa or condo, but want a resort similar to Cap or Jumby. I'd love to be on the beach, and a private plunge pool would be fun! Of course I'm considering Le Toiny, but am concerned about its lack of beach.

Do you prefer Anguilla and Antigua over St. Barts?

Thanks for any insight you can offer!
Jun 30th, 2003, 10:11 AM

Hi Dreamer2,

I have been to St. Barths twice and loved it. I stayed in a villa, which was great. I have looked into Le Toiney as well and although it is not on the beach (which is a 2 min walk I think) you do have your own private plunge pool (ooh la la) Also your room has a fax machine in which the hotel uses to communicate with you so they do not disturb you - nice!. The only resort on the beach in St. Barths which can compare is Eden Rock which is on St. Jean Beach also has a great bar (I think the website has 360 views of the beach). St. Barths was so beauitful and so european that I did not mind NOT being on the beach. We had a jeep and would go to "town" in the morning to an outdoor cafe, have croissants, fresh oj and strong coffee and watch the island wake up. I recommend reanting a jeep/suzuki (right by the airport) and exploring the beaches which are quite different from one another, its also great fun to drive on that island. Pack a lunch of cheese, bread and wine and you are ready! I have told someone else in a previous post to call a TA in your area and ask them to price out your vacation using Classic Custom Vacations (le Toiney is one of their hotels) and Island Destinations. Compare those 2 wholesalers to the price you get on your own and go for the better deal. I don't know what they are running right now for Le Toiney, but food is very expensive so if breakfast is included that counts as saving some $$, also ask if ther is a dinner or two included as the restaurant ther is wonderful Hope this helps.
Jun 30th, 2003, 10:27 AM

Sorry forgot to tell you haw to find the websites for Eden Rock. Do a Google search and type in Eden Rock St. Barths, and all the sites will show up. Then type in Eden Rock St. Barts (without the h) you will get different websites all with great info and pictures.
Jun 30th, 2003, 10:42 AM

Thanks, SF! Sounds heavenly... Thanks especially for the booking tips!
How do you think Le Toiny compares to Jumby? And how about St. Barts to Anguilla or Antiqua? I'm really intrigued by the Euro-flare, but hate to miss out on the Island culture.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO