Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Antigua, Cayman, or St. Lucia...which is better, and why?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 05:12 PM
Otis

Four of us are going to an RCI time share resort next March and are looking at these 3 islands. Can anyone give us advice regarding why you like one of these islands or why you don't? Any advice offering a direct comparison from someone whose been there would be great. We'll be staying at an RCI time share resort. Any opinions either way on where the four of us should stay would help as well!

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 04:43 AM
Eileen

I have been to both Antigua and St. Lucia. If you want spectacular scenery, St. Lucia is for you. Hands down the most gorgeous island I have been to -- very lush and green, waterfalls, mountains. However the beaches are not the "typical" white sand and turquoise water that many people expect in the Caribbean, they are mostly black sand and the water is deep blue. Antigua has many nice beaches but as they are in a drought the rest of the island is dry and scrubby and not very pretty. I thought poverty was more evident on Antigua than other islands. Haven't been to Grand Cayman but hear it is flat, dry, very expensive and very Americanized. So if it were me I would choose St. Lucia. P.S. If Windjammer Landing is one of your choices from RCI consider it as it gets very high marks.

Old Aug 25th, 2001, 09:36 AM
Bonnie

Otis: <BR> <BR>I have a RCI timeshare at the Windjammer Landing in St. Lucia. I love it so much that I haven't wanted to make a switch yet. The Villas are very spacious, the views are beautiful, the restuarants are great, the people are very friendly. Every year they greet us by our names and a hug. The beach is very pretty with full water sports. We changed our week last year from week 10 (March) to week 7. I will be happy to answer any more questions you might have. <BR> <BR>Bonnie

Old Aug 26th, 2001, 11:02 AM
kim

I vote for St.Lucia also, we were their in Feb and loved it. The views are great so take lots of film.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 12:40 PM
lilipad

hello, <BR>i have been to grand cayman and st. lucia, both last year so here's my take on both. food in nice restaurants are equally expensive, though cayman maybe more so ... since you have a condo w/fridge in both places, you can economise on that expence in both places. the snorkelling/diving is better in grand cayman, and you get to snorkel with stingrays in the caymans at the sand bar which is an incredible experience. also, as far as soft and sandy beaches, the caymans have 7 miles of beautiful, continuous beach, while in st. lucia, the best beach is at rodney bay north of the city, and it's not bad. also, as far as walking around at night, the caymans seem safer BUT you have to be careful and act reasonable wherever you go. I'd say both places have negligible nightlife (it's no cancun or jamaica) and drinks are expensive in both places, as is lobster (, but still very tasty. <BR>in caymans, your time will be more relaxed and water oriented ... however, st. lucia has it's benefits too. it's more of a cultural experience, where you see development and riches next to relative poverty and poorness (i'm sure it exists in the caymans as you get away from the town center, but it's certainly nowhere near as visible because caymans are sooo tiny). st.lucia is certainly more robust - there's beutiful rainforrest to hike in, and a bubling volcano and sulphur springs w/mud baths you can sit in. while cayman is pretty flat, st. lucia rolls with beautiful hills and of course there's the incredible peaks at souffriere that are the island land mark.there's a fort ot explore and rugged and undeveloped western coastline. st. lucia has waterfalls and jungle ... it's all a question of what you're looking for

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 01:03 PM
Penney

I would also suggest St. Lucia. It is very mountanous, beautiful, green and lush. The sity iteslf is very populated and crowded but the outside area's are just beautiful.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 01:09 PM
Sue

<BR>I adore Grand Cayman --- just a laid back beach town with no frills but lots of underwater thrills. If the timeshare's at Morritt's be prepared that it's a "fer piece" to get anywhere tho. I'm still trying to figure out why I wasn't crazy about Antigua. Can't put my finger on it. St. Lucia was awesome, what scenery! But I feel more at ease in GC plus the water is the best. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 08:20 PM
Jo in AZ

Don't bother with Antigua -- we spent a week there with timeshare exchange -- what a poverty ridden area and I never really felt safe out at night with husband. Taxi drivers even bothered me. Not a beautiful island at all.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 07:11 PM
Shaken

St. Lucia is the most horrific island that i've been to. Poverty is everywhere; if safety is a concern do not go, as there were riots in Castries when i was there. The beaches are nothing to write home about, black sand and dark blue water and small with more coves than stretches. Scenery is lush but mostly boring banana fields. It is very difficult to get around and taxis are dangerous. I have been there twice (once was an awards event for my company and i sorely disappointed after my first visit)and was no better the second time. <BR> <BR>Go to the Caymans it is - by far - the most tourist friendly. It is easy to get around and has much to do. Seven Mile Beach is SPECTACULAR!!

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 07:22 AM
sandy

I second the vote for Grand Cayman. Yes, it's "Americanized," although it's actually more British than American. What that really means is that is not nearly as "Third World' as some of the other Caribbean islands , i.e., the great disparity between the "haves" and "have-nots" is not so highly visible. The atmosphere is more refined, and one feels, somehow, safer there. The hotels and condominiums are wonderful; Seven Mile Beach is exceptionally beautiful and clean; the restaurants, while expensive, are excellent and varied. Grocery shopping is a treat, once you get over the shock of what everything costs, because there are items from all over the world on the shelves. That said, if your time share is on the other side of the island from Georgetown, there will probably be no beach -- just coral and a ladder for getting into the water from the dock. But the water will be blue green and clear and the snorleking will be fantastic. Go. Enjoy.

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 06:41 PM
freewoman

TO: SHAKEN <BR> <BR>Can't believe I have finally stumbled on someone who feels as I do about St. Lucia. We went there because EVERYONE on the boards talked about how wonderful the island is. Well, that is the worst vacation I have ever had and I would not go back there if you paid my way, gave me money to spend and paid me for my time!! <BR> <BR>On the other hand, I love Grand Cayman and feel it is a wonderful island with great people and incredible restaurants. And I would rate their beaches right up there in the top five. <BR> <BR>But comparing these two island is like comparing the No Tel Motel with the Ritz Carlton. There is no comparison in my opinion.

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 05:37 AM
Mary

My first trip to St. Lucia was great but it was at an all-inclusive, it was my wedding, and we had lots of family and friends with us. My second trip to St. Lucia wasn’t so good. My husband and I did not do all-inclusive so we saw the island and its people for what it really was. To put a long story short, I will never go back.

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 06:24 PM
Traveler

I too did NOT enjoy St.Lucia. Nothing bad really happened....it's just that it wasn't anything it was cracked up to be. It was just a ho-hum vacation and ranks at the bottom of my favorites spots. <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 06:41 AM
frank steverink

Certainly, most of the Caribbean is relatively poor compared to the United States, so one can expect poverty there. Our experiences in St. Lucia were very positive. Much nicer than the Yucatan or Jamaica (where we really felt unsafe). If you're thinking of going to St. Lucia I would suggest going to the quiet South (Soufriere). We stayed in Stonefield Estate which was just exquisite- beautiful cottages, amazing nature, very nice people. We also stayed in Ladera, which was mindblowing, yet quite a bit less private. St. Lucia ranks among my favourites and I have been to a lot of places.

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 04:00 PM
IslandAnne

I've exchanged with RCI in Antigua and Grand Cayman. In Antigua we stayed on Dickenson's Bay, down the beach from the Sandals. I can't remember the name of the property - I think it was Antigua Village Beach Club. The property was nice; not spectacular but clean and on a great beach. I enjoyed Antigua. We did lots of sightseeing and spent time on the great beach. We found nice restaurants and would go back. In Grand Cayman we stayed at Morritt's which was about a 45 minute drive from Georgetown. That was fine for us. The units are very nice. We had a huge 2-bdrm. The facillities there are nice. The beach at Morritt's was fine - not spectacular as 7-Mile Beach, but adequate. We found some great snorkeling spots around the island and had a great time. I was previously on 7MB which tends to get crowded. The east end was actually refreshiingly uncrowded. I've been to St. Lucia for one day on a cruise, so I can't offer much in the way of suggestions on that island. Have fun wherever you go!

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 03:32 AM
Mike

Clearly it all comes down to what you're looking for--different for everyone. If you want spectacular scenery and more traditional Caribbean culture, go to St. Lucia. If your number one priority is great beaches in a westernized environment, go to Cayman. Can't personally speak to the Antigua experience.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 03:02 PM
curious

Just curious, those of you who didn't like St. Lucia, have you also been to jamaica, and if so, how would you compare the 2. Is St. Lucia on par w. Jamaica in terms of poverty and lack of safety. I ask bc i hated Jamaica, felt horribly unsafe, found most of it hideous, and was sexually harrassed by locals on my own beach! <BR><BR>If Lucia is anything like this count me out. It has always been on my list of want-to-sees in the carribean bc it looks so beautiful in pictures. Go figure.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 03:42 PM
Mike

St. Lucia is the most lush island i've been to. Jamaica was near the top until we went to St. Lucia. People were very friendly in St. Lucia, where Jamaica seemed to be trying to be nice as in Jamaica "no problem" on T-shirts, etc. Jamaica is definitely "hedonistic" with lots of people trying to sell "pot" by almost anyone including restaurants personel, bell hops, bus drivers, beach attendants, etc. Negril has one of the greatest beaches in the Caribbean (7 miles long) and also has a rocky cliff area ajoining. I like reggae music and this is the place for that. Outdoor concerts abound in Negril, Jamaica. Negril beach faces west so there are many great sunsets. We saw a green flash at Ricks Cafe but also on St. Lucia on Reduit Beach at the Spinnakers Bar. We faound the diving better in St. Lucia. The snorkeling was about the same. We had good food in both places but there seemed to be more restaurants in Negril. Beaches in St. Lucia werenot so great except up by Gros Islet. Jalousie Hilton had a white sand beach but it looked brought in from some other island. in Negril we only took cabs and didn't rent a car. In St. Lucia we rented a car and it was the most expensive car we've ever rented. $550 for the week. Mike