Search

antigua car rental

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2005, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
antigua car rental

can anybody suggest which car rental company offers the best cars, the best prices and the best prices on antigua? how much would you expect to pay for a week's rental? does $320 sound excessive or about right? how is alamo?
i'd appreciate anybody responding who has had experience renting a car on antigua. thanks
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

once again, i am asking people who have been to antigua to sugest the best rentl company, in terms of reliability, quality of cars, and lowest price. is $320 about right for a week's rental or is it high? has anybody had experience with alamo on antigua.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Sunnyboy

That price sounds about "average" for a week's rental.

Old Jan 4th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

has anybody rented a car for a week in antigua? has anybody had any experiences good or bad with Alamo? do you think we can do better than $320 for the week? how complicated is it to drive from the airport to siboney beach since our stay does not include transfers?
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 04:55 AM

I just replied to your other post, putch. $320 is not a bad rate for a weekly rental. I've never rented for a full week on Antigua, only a few days at a time from a friend, but I'd say that it was in the $50-60/day range.

Some folks say that by reserving online from home that you can secure a better rate than reserving one on the island. They usually say it about St. John, but it might also work for Antigua.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 06:11 AM
EJC

$320 seems quite high in comparison to other caribbean destinations.But I was just informed it costs $196 per week to use a golf cart around the grounds of Jolly Beach. So, I guess $320 is par for the course. (no pun intended)
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 08:16 AM

putch29m, I tend to agree with wrk4vaka (under your Sept post). VERY EASY to get lost at night even when you think you know the surroundings. Many of the true Islanders drive incredibly fast - they make good NYC cab drivers for sure! A vacation from driving is something to consider. It removes the worries about parking, getting gas, getting lost, where to go, a flat tire, etc. If you figure how much cab fare you would spend against the cost of the rental and then factor in the untangibles like not worrying about drinking and driving, taking in the views while someone else drives you around... but mostly we found that the cabbies are so happy to take you anywhere you want and never once did we get into a cab without engaging in a truly great story! It kind of adds to the aura of the holiday feeling. ..maybe rent for a day or two? hope this helps!
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 11:22 AM

We just came back and rented a car. It was $50 a day plus any insurance for a regular car (small SUV a little more perhaps). That seemed to be the going rate, although maybe you can negotiate upon arrival..have no idea about that. It is a tough call on whether or not to rent a car or not..depends on how much you plan to explore. We did a lot of exploring and kept getting in and out of the car so we were glad we had it. But, I think if we had just paid for taxis each time we wanted to go somewhere it would have cost about the same in the end, although at certain times we would not have had as much flexibility of stopping and starting.
Having said that, if you arrive at night onto the island, I recommend taking a cab to the hotel and then getting the car the next day or the day after, depending on what you want to do the first day. I think driving during the day is much easier there b/c you can see all the potholes, goats, cars, etc. At night, we found it challenging but an experience. Signs are not well marked, but people will help you in a heartbeat. No need to drive around for an hour being lost...We got directions right away just by stopping and asking. At other times, people just stopped to see if we were okay.