Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Another Horseback Riding Question -- Jeff? or anyone (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/another-horseback-riding-question-jeff-or-anyone-160092/)

MHS Feb 13th, 2002 06:32 AM

Another Horseback Riding Question -- Jeff? or anyone

I have noted the info in the previous question about horseback riding. The author was an experienced rider -- we are, I stress, Not at all "experienced". But, would love to do a sunset time ride on the beach. Is any one of those offering rides best for the inexperienced? Don't have traditional riding boots, etc. -- what shoes would suffice, I assume sandels would be out, but are standard walking shoes/sneakers ok? Slacks, not shorts? etc.<BR>Thanks for your patience and answers.

xxx Feb 13th, 2002 08:26 AM

Since these posts bounce around, can't find the 'info in the previous question', so re-state where you're going horseback riding and maybe we can help!

MHS Feb 13th, 2002 10:18 AM

Sorry, should have known better. It's Aruba.

Shari Feb 13th, 2002 10:55 AM

Having never visited Aruba, I can't help you there, but as a horsewoman here's some advice.<BR>Footwear: Best is something with a low heel (to prevent you foot from sliding all the way through a stirrup). Tennis shoes have a flat sole, so are not ideal, but they are certainly better than sandals. <BR><BR>As far as clothing, I would suggest jeans or slacks to protect your legs from the pinch of stirrup leathers. (assuming English saddle here). <BR><BR>Enjoy your riding. I hope you find that sunset ride on the beach...sounds glorious!

Toni Feb 14th, 2002 03:30 AM

Hi, MHS-<BR>We went horsebacking with Ranch Notorious last June. We rode along the beach at sunset...and none of us were experienced riders. (Note: they will ask if anyone is experienced and take these folks off for more of a gallop along the beach). We just kind of clip-clopped along which was fine with everyone!<BR>Wear jeans and tennis shoes. I wore a sleeveless top, others had swimsuit tops on under their shirts (it is always warm there!). <BR>Bring a camera to hang around your neck. They wouldn't let me take my camcorder for fear of damage. <BR>It was a fun ride for everyone. <BR>Note: When leaving the country (and you're from the US) US customs will ask if anyone has been on a ranch during their stay in Aruba. You will have to dig out the shoes you wore riding and they mist/spray them with a bleach-disinfectant like solution (warding off any pests that you may carry into the country). Then, you merely put them back in your luggage and board the plane. So, keep this in mind when you are packing for your trip home. <BR>Toni

Tobey Feb 14th, 2002 09:37 AM

We went a few years ago and went horseback riding to the natural pool. I would NOT recommend this trip if you are not an adventurous inexpierenced rider. It was a horrible trip for me. The guides did not speak much english and before we left I asked many times if we were walking the whole way and was assured we were. However, they made all the horses trot, canter and gallop to keep up with eachother. On the beach this might have been ok but we were in the hills. I will never go horeseback riding out of the states again. I do not remember the name of the ranch. I do not believe it is the one mentioned in the previous post. Good luck.