Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Anguilla with children (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/anguilla-with-children-711938/)

jlbowers7100 Jun 10th, 2007 07:07 AM

Anguilla with children

I am trying to plan a vacation and am thinking about Anguilla. There will be a total of 5 of us incl. two kids ages 5 and 3. Can anyone suggest a good place to stay that is on a beautiful beach that won't break the bank? Ideally I'd like a 2 bedroom place with a pull-out sofabed. Also a kitchen is required as it just isn't realistic for us to eat out every meal with the kids. Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated!!!

klg Jun 10th, 2007 07:47 AM

1st off let me say that we went to Anguilla last summer and I loved it! We usually vacation on STJ, but was able to talk my husband into trying something different. There were 10 of us staying at a villa including a 2& 9 year old. If you've been researching for awhile I probably don't have to tell you that it is a pricey island. As far as accomodations check into La Sirena (www.sirenaresort.com) located on Meads Bay. We heard about it from some people we met in STJ a few years ago and it seemed reasonably priced. It does have a kitchen and beach access. We usually eat dinner in a few nights but let me tell you finding things such as meats and poultry were non-existent. Breakfast foods were abundant, but we ate dinner out everynight. As far as beaches Shoal Bay EAST was amazing!!! We stayed in a villa 2 miles from there. The only hotel I can think of on that beach is Ku. There was another, but I don't recall the name. There is not alot to do on Anguilla except go to their beautiful beaches, which is why we enjoyed it. I'd be happy to answer any other questions. Good Luck!

klg

beachykeen Jun 10th, 2007 11:07 AM

Agree with Ku. Also check out Carimar, Arawak. Malliouhana has a great Friends and Family deal for the summer, but I don't think they have kitchens.

ALR Jun 10th, 2007 11:50 AM

More suggestions include Serenity Cottages on Upper Shoal Bay and Frangipani on Med's Bay.

jlbowers7100 Jun 10th, 2007 12:03 PM

Thanks everyone. I really do appreciate the responses and plan to look into the places you mentioned. We have been to Provo (T&C) several times and loved it however would like to try something new. It sounds like Anguilla is very similar so that's what really attracting about it... What about snorkeling? Is there much around? I have read it's not as good as St John or T&C.

ALR Jun 10th, 2007 03:12 PM

At Serenity, there's snorkelling right off the beach. Little Bay is another good spot, which can be reached by driving to Crocus Bay and taking a little water taxi around to Little Bay. There is a nominal charge for the boat service. Boat excursions are available to take you to the outer cays for other options, including Sandy Island, Prickly Pear, etc. You can go on a shared trip with Shoal Bay Scuba dn Watersports or Chocolat, or arrange a private trip with any number of boat drivers, including Gotcha or Junior with his Glassbotom Boat.

klg Jun 10th, 2007 05:23 PM

We also went to T&C last year. Not a huge fan, definitely liked Anguilla better. For snorkeling though you just can't beat STJ. There are alot of good spots right off the beach without having to do a charter. Anguilla had some nice fish, but the coral was bleached and not in very good shape. I heard there are good spots but you will most likely have to have a boat to get to them. That being said although we are heading back to STJ in a few weeks I do see going back to Anguilla in our future.

caribtraveler Jun 11th, 2007 02:10 AM

I would have suggested Rendezvous Bay Hotel for you but it's closing.. this summer I believe. Is your trip later?

I just wanted to say that Ku has an age limit for kids (unless that recently changed). We looked into staying there with our 5-year-old and couldn't. I think it's 7 but don't quote me on that.

jlbowers7100 Jun 11th, 2007 07:12 AM

I've been to St John as well but I don't want to go there until my kids are a bit older. I just remember the water being a bit rougher than a place like the Turks and Caicos. Plus the terrain (hikes, etc) just aren't conducive to a good time with a 3 and a 5 year old. :) It's definitely on our agenda in about 5 more years!

Kristen1206 Jun 11th, 2007 07:15 AM

Check out Shoal Bay Villas...it's tight next door to Ku. They have condo style units.

sunni Jun 12th, 2007 06:34 AM

Just returned from 15 days in axa. We were at the Carimar. Just wonderful as always. We ate in most nights. We had no problem getting fresh meat and poultry or produce. Proctors has fresh meat, poultry and even has bit of a deli. They also carry ready to eat hot rotisserie chickens which make a great easy meal. The easiest and least expensive meal has got to be B&D’s bbq just up the road from the Carimar. It’s not be missed! You get a full meal for about $8.

Keep in mind that the Carimar does not have AC, so cooking gets a bit hot. Also I am not sure when your planning your trip but they close for September and October.

jlbowers7100 Jun 28th, 2007 07:36 PM

Our trip will be in Oct so it's a bummer because both Carimar and Shoal Bay Villas will be closed. Those were two potential places for us... I still don't know where we're going to stay!!!