Notices

Anguilla weather

Mar 10th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Anguilla weather

I'm planning a trip to Anguilla, our first, and I've noticed that the weather report has it raining almost every day this month, March. Is this normal? I don't envision high season in the Caribbean as that rainy. We were thinking of May but I read somewhere that there are a lot of storms that month. Yes, I know that hurricane season is problematic but outside of high season is there a best time in terms of weather? Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Mar 10th, 2012, 12:16 PM

If you look through any weather related question about any Caribbean island you'll find one common theme - On line weather forecasts ALWAYS, ALWAYS, REPEAT ALWAYS predict rain. This holds true not only for Anguilla but every island. If you looked at the forecasts everyday for a year without actually going there you'ds swear the sun never shines in the Caribbean.

Reason - it's the tropics and it could rain somewhere on any given island for some time in any 24 hour period. What those forecasts don't tell you is rain when it does come is usually in the form of very brief, fast moving, widely scatter showers. Most of these occur late at night or in the wee hours of the morning (on mountainous islands most of the rain is high up in the rain forests (hence the name). Rain during the day happens but usually lasts only minutes and it's not unusual for it to rain in one area and there be bright sun 1/4 mile away.

FYI - May IS NOT Hurricane Season (June 1 through November 30) but even that doesn't mean it rains all the time.

for what it is worth - weather on Anguilla is generally "good" all year long - September and October tend to be the period when there is the biggest threat of storms but even then if there are no storms the weather is "good".

Plan your trip for May without and concern - the weather is as good as it gets any time of the year and because it's Low season room prices are at their lowest, there are fear crowds yet everything is still "open". It's one of the best times of the year to visit the Caribbean.

Last hint - once you decide on when to go you'll get the urge to begin checking the weather two weeks or so before your trip. DO NOT do this as I can guarantee it will only get you depressed as the prediction will be for rain.
Mar 10th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reassuring and helpful information!
Jun 21st, 2012, 09:35 AM

We have always been going to Anguilla, the last week of May (starting the Memorial day weekend) and had never had any issue with weather for the past 3 years. We even like it since it is not as crowded anywhere and yet most restaurants are still open.

Search this Thread